Author Topic: In the Heat of Losing! Why not just change sides?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
In the Heat of Losing! Why not just change sides?
« on: February 05, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
Up until now, I considered myself a "Loyalist"
  • If my team was winning, "I hung in there".
  • If my team was losing, "I hung in there".
My attitude is starting to change into becoming more of a "Funamist".  If my team is absolutely getting crushed, why not just change teams?  It seems that it might be more fun.

EX: Last night, no B DAR and with 56R vs 23B, "Payback Time" was at full speed.  It was quite an impressive juggernaut.  <Salute>  

(I'm not sure what K was doing, but there were 27K in the roster.)

Switching to the Knitwits, I could have still fought against the Rocks.  I would have had an immediate advantage, in doing so.  Last night however, I chose to log off.  That seemed a rather "Lose Lose Situation" for me.  My pride of remaining loyal cost me an evening of fun.

BTW; from my above example I assume that the Rock players were doing what I would have done, simply being "Loyalists".  I find no fault in their doing this, nor their swinging of the "Payback Time" hammer.  

However, in recent days, I do see more players switching teams and then fighting against the same team as they were fighting before they switched.

Any thoughts?

Mino

214CaveJ

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2000, 12:22:00 PM »
In all my time in AH I've only switched sides twice.  The first time was the hawg/george historical engagement back around version .40 (I think it was then)
the other time, and may all rooks forgive me, was a few nights ago when both nits and bish outnumbered the rooks and were playing with us, not causing a reset.  There were 6 rooks online before I switched to nits, and 20+ or both bish and nits.

Switched to nits, the Wrecking Crew joined me, and we promptly invaded the bishcuits.  It was the next night I think that the rooks had both countries down to 3 fields each =)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
I switched sides last night for the opposite reason, The rooks had the other guys outnumbered 2 to 1, so I switched and became a knight for a while.

Having such a lopsided roster takes the fun out of the game for me.

Being a die hard loyal in an arena like this is silly to me.

If we had a LW vs. Allied arena, now that would be a different story.  

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2000, 12:54:00 PM »
I recently switched from one 'country' to another.  It had nothing to do with numbers, I don't care about numbers.  It had to do with attacking, or lack thereof.  All I want from the country I fly for is that we attack enemy fields rather than defend friendly ones.  The country I was flying for had a group mindset of grabbing Spits and Nikis and hanging out over friendly fields, even when we outnumbered the enemy.  Sometimes we would have 45 players on while the other teams had 30 or so, and we'd still be down to 3 fields, with no offensive energy anywhere.  I would check the radar and see swarms of friendlies defending a sector which had almost no enemy activity.  I just wasn't enjoying the options of either joining the defensive swarm or flying a solo attack, so I switched and I have no regrets.

To each his own, but I think 'loyalty' should be a squad thing, not a country thing.

--ra--

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Ra
That "aggressive" attitude of yours is going to get you in trouble!  
I cant imagine vulching my squad mates or any of the rooks I normaly fight with.
I would not change sides if any of them where still trying to hold out.
But I would change sides if i logged an unusual time and there was know one on that I knew. Its not really a country thing with me its a comaradarie thing.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2000, 01:19:00 PM »
Hmmm. Well, I guess there are some guys you'd want in your fox hole when the human waves come over the hill, and there are some guys you have to be constantly watching out of one eye.

If you are changing sides to help an underdog, or you have squadies flying on the otherside you want to join ok.  But to bail to another side just to get better odds so you kills will be easier is the lowest form of cowardice IMHO.  

What would we have thought of the "Bastards of Bastone" if they took one look at the approaching Panzers and decided to put on German uniforms because that looked a lot more pleasent.  The easy path is NOT always the best.

Any way you slice it, you abandoned your position under fire.  Thats grounds for summary execution in my book.

Now I wouldn't normally bore you with my personal moral views, but you DID ask for my opinion.

That being said, it was only the bish's you abaondoned so that isn't so bad.  As far as I'm concerned you can bail on those sons of britches any time you want.  

Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

funked

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
If the guys on my team have their heads up their arnoldes, I would switch.  I haven't had this happen in AH yet, but in WB it happened to me all the time.

I can't remember how many times purple would have a numbers advantage, but would just be getting hammered.  No heavies, everybody just ack hugging.  POOF I was outta there!

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
Amen brother Mino!  Im withya there!

Wabb,

I think you are confusing a moral issue with a "fun" issue.  We are not born to any one of these countries, none of these countries spurn human rights or commit wartime atrocities.  In effect, this is not "war" and we arent fighting for anything other than the fun of fighting.  In effect, I dont see "treason" being an issue.

In my opinion, it is NOT fun being degraded to 3 fields and at that point either being vulched as you try to fly or trying to grab alt so you could fly into a hoard of enemy and dying immediately.  The way the countries are set up. one country usually gets gangbanged (and yes...it IS a gangbang).  I have no problem in switching sides to get one of the major countries fighting the other rather than my countrymen.  I think of it as an alliance.  

-Ding

funked

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
"What would we have thought of the "Bastards of Bastone" if they took one look at the approaching Panzers and decided to put on German uniforms because that looked a lot more pleasent. The easy path is NOT always the best."

BZZZZZZZZT WRONG!  
Bad analogy.  

Goal of 101st ABN:  Stay alive, kill krauts, win war.

Goal of AH Players:  Have fun.  Period!

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »
No Real opinion on side switching though I have never done it. One thing I think this does prove though is the 3 cornered contest doesn't work. Much better to have 2 sides, I won't open up the Historical aspect (Axis verses Allied - No Axis Bombers or Transport yet). I frequently fly with only 2 or 3 other knights It's not much fun. You can't upset anyone co's if you do you get "raped"

TTFN

------------------

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2000, 02:09:00 PM »
Before the 1 hour turn around I have seen some personalities, knowing one of their fields was being vulched, changed sides to help vulch the airfield of their prior country.  

WOW!! Talk about a lack of character (In my opinion).

But hey!  Thats the game!  We all need to satisfy our hunger somehow.

Basically, it is whatever flips your trigger!!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2000, 02:10:00 PM »
Sometimes I switch sides, just to meet the players of the other teams.

I usually fly rook, but can be seen at times on all teams.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
Dicta Verm: "Never give the suckers an even break!" or translated "Never engage without an advantage"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2000, 03:12:00 PM »
If you are only switching sides so that you have better numerical odds and easier kills then thats cowardice IMHO.  

Some people have more fun by always being on the side with more guys and easier kills.  Some people have fun by taking off against toejamty odds and fighting with daring and skill and turning the odds back around.  It just depends on the character of the person I guess.

I've switched side before to fly with wingies or help underdogs or just to meet some of the other pilots.  I've even switched when I was pissed off at my teammates one time for lacking hmmmm "intestinal fortitude".  But I've never switched just to get better odds for easier kills.  Its just leaving under duress that I will never ever accept.

Like I said, not trying to force my morals on you.  I was just asked for my opinion.  But when it come time to merge into a fight, its nice to know if the teammates around you are gonna stick or run and leave you hanging in a fight.

I think its mainly caused by people wanting to nurse their beloved stats more than "fun".  But again thats only my opinion.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2000, 03:52:00 PM »
>Any way you slice it, you abandoned your
>position under fire. Thats grounds for
>summary execution in my book.

Uhhmmm actually, Mino just logged off which is better than team jumping.  I've done that before.  So change my above statement to refer to the "team-hoppers".  

Wab

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2000, 06:43:00 PM »
"Allegience" to an imaginary country in a virtual world, has got to be one of the silliest concepts since the Turtle was thought to support the Earth on his shell.

Let the Numbers be your guide.