Author Topic: Sears  (Read 742 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Sears
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 11:47:55 AM »
"I have a Sears snowblower and its a POS. The drive assembly went out after two uses of this machine. Its a 4X4 model with wheels."

Is this by chance a newish machine?  I've noticed that things ranging from snowblowers to lawn tractors seem to have declined in quality in a big way over the last 15 years.

I don't have a snowblower (I shovel it the traditional way).  My Aunt does, a Sears self-drive model from the late '70's.  It works perfectly fine.  Another relative is still using their Sears yard tractor (the 10HP/36in model) which was also built in the late '70's or early '80's.  In 20+ years it's had one transmission problem and that's about all.

The newer equipment though (and I don't just mean Sears), always seems cheaply designed and poorly-built.  

J_A_B

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Sears
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 12:49:52 PM »
I just noticed something in this thread: If we ain't talkin politics or religion, we all get along pretty well.

ok i'll go back to sleep now.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Sears
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 01:13:58 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
What is this "snowblower"?

Dunno, but up here you need a snowthrower

Bought a 5 1/2 HP with an electric start(cord that plugs in), linkage got stuck, but that's because I didn't have it serviced off season.

I hear Ariens makes the best, get at least an 8 HP, mine bogs down a little with heavy wet snow, have to keep it in low gear.

btw, mine is craftsman
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:16:17 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Sears
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 01:31:59 PM »
Have to agree FiLtH.. hiyas btw..

I bought a washer from them a few months ago. They were suppose to credit my account for $50.. They never did and I didnt wanna go through the hassel of customer service again..  So the boycott is on! lol

kappa

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
Sears
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »
Yeah, but now that they've joined with Kmart, things will get much better! :rolleyes:

Buy craftsman hand tools get a Lifetime warranty, buy anything else, you're on your own!

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
Sears
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »
Sears is still much better than  the evil empire of WAL-MART

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Sears
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 04:31:24 PM »
Definately agree about quality diff betw. sears and wal-mart on most stuff.  Same goes for comparing some target stores vs. wal-mart.  Near seymour johnson AFB, there is a wal-mart and a target within 2 miles of each other.  The wal-mart is always packed with people, mostly low-income family members, picking up cheap crap.  The target right across town has twice the quality at about the same price for walmart's "premium" brands, and they struggle to survive.  The target is 10x the quality of the walmart and the price is almost the same, but the sheeple go to the walmart and buy crap.

Sears Craftsman story:

My grandfather bought some craftsman screwdrivers about 30 years ago, and broke one using it as a crowbar to mount a tire.  Yes, he mounts his own tires using a screwdriver.  Anyhow, he liked that screwdriver so he went into Sears looking to buy a replacement.  The salesguy noticed him walking around with a busted screwdriver looking for a single screwdriver to buy instead of the multi-pack, and he said that Sears would give him a free screwdriver.  My grandfather, being too honest for his own good (grew up during depression, etc) told the whole story, about how he didnt' think the warranty counted because he was using a screwdriver as a crowbar.  The salesguy said it didn't matter, and gave him a new screwdriver for free and said thank you for shopping at sears.

That's cool.  I don't buy much at sears, but when I'm looking for tools and there's a sears in the town I'm living in, I go to sears first.

Return a few things at walmart, and they put you on a list of people who can't return things anymore.  That's to catch abusers of the return rules but it's also a sign of the quality of the stuff they sell and their targeted set of customers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 04:33:46 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Sears
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 04:47:34 PM »
I have to agree 100% on Target vs WalMart. And seriously, if you call the main Sears number and complain, I'm confident they will make things right to your satisfaction. They are one of the few remaining "good" stores left in this day and age of the evil WalMart empire.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Sears
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 04:48:51 PM »
General Patton bought craftsmen tools for the entire 2nd AD with his own money. 2nd AD still uses those tools.

Offline OneWordAnswer

• Copper Member
      • http://www.theanswerman.org/
Sears
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2005, 06:44:04 PM »
Toro

TWO-STAGE GAS Best for large driveways and deep snow; most weigh 150 to 250 lbs.  
#1- Toro Power Max 828LXE
 $1,250 28 in./8 hp  

#12- Craftsman (Sears) 88700
 600 22 in./5 hp      

SINGLE-STAGE GAS Best for moderate conditions; most weigh 60 to 90 lbs.  

#2- Toro CCR 2450 GTS 38515
 540 20 in./5 hp      
#3 Toro Snow Commander 38602 38600
 900 24 in./7 hp      
   #12- Craftsman (Sears) 88140  
 300 21 in./4 hp      

SINGLE-STAGE ELECTRIC Best for small areas; most weigh 10 to 25 lbs.  
#1- Toro 1800 Power Curve 38025
 $300 18 in./12 amp        
#2- Toro Electric Power Shovel 38310
 100 11 in./6.6 amp        

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/home.jsp

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Sears
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
I just noticed something in this thread: If we ain't talkin politics or religion, we all get along pretty well.
[/SIZE]

Wow just like real people huh? LOL

I think most of us would get along pretty well if we didnt talk religion or politics.

the only arguements I really get into with my RL friends are over these subjects
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Sears
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2005, 07:54:19 PM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
Thomas Jefferson
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Sears
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2005, 07:56:26 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Wow just like real people huh? LOL

I think most of us would get along pretty well if we didnt talk religion or politics.

the only arguements I really get into with my RL friends are over these subjects

Right on!! Lets talk Boobies:aok

Offline WOOD1

• Zinc Member
Sears
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2005, 08:00:08 PM »
I wish I had a snow blower, I have a snow shovel, I got it at Sears and works fine.