Author Topic: How to drive vehicles and what are the lines on the maps?  (Read 510 times)

horrgakx

How to drive vehicles and what are the lines on the maps?
« on: February 04, 2001, 05:34:00 AM »
Hi -

When I jump into a vehicle, all I can do is start the engine and operate the gears. When I go to increase revs (+) nothing happens. The planes and the boat work fine... is there something I'm missing?

Also, on the map there are sometimes lines with arrow heads on them ... what are they showing?

Lastly, when I go to fly, there are three buttons which get me onto the field... H L and N I think... what do they mean?

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2001, 06:38:00 AM »
Ok,

First, the vehicles work a little different.  To get them to work you have to start the engine, shift up into a forward gear, and push your stick forward.    Push forward to accelerate, back to slow down.

The lines with arrows on them are the waypoints for the carrier group.  On your map, there are + and - buttons.  If you right-click on those buttons, you will zoom and un-zoom the map.  Try zooming in on a carrier group, you'll see the CV icon and the waypoints.  If nobody else has control, you can also choose the "ships" button from your clipboard menu.  If nobody ranked higher than you has command of a cv group your country controls, you can press "take command" and then you may enter whatever waypoints you wish.  All of the fleets are player controlled in this manner.  Give it a try!  Just remember not to enter changes in the main arena to a fleet's course without warning the folks in the area.  The carrier turning while folks are landing or taking off will get them killed, so warn them first!    You can practice controlling the fleets offline or in the Training Arena if you want to try it someplace "safe" first.

The buttons to fly, indicate graphically what direction you want to take off in.  The H button will spawn you in the hangar, and you can then taxi out onto the runway if you like.  The N, would spawn you at the south end of the runway, so that you take off to the North.  Some of the buttons will not be labeled, but as long as they show up, they do function.  Beware, that some airfields are snuggled up to hills, and it may be very difficult to take off in a direction that faces the mountains.  

Hope that helps.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

horrgakx

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks for that - I'm starting to enjoy this game.

I used to play "Air Warrior" about 7 or 8 years ago. It was run by a company called "Online" and you dialled in via modem. Anyone remember it?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
Hehe, yep.  

Air Warrior is still around in some form.  The guys who run HTC cut their teeth in Air Warrior.  Then they went on and built their own.    I think you'll find LOTS of ex AW folks around here.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"