Author Topic: JOYSTICK TROUBLE  (Read 473 times)

wigmn

JOYSTICK TROUBLE
« on: February 07, 2001, 11:57:00 PM »
Hello, I have a Logitech Wingman attack joystick. Now I know it's not top of the line but it suits my needs,lol thats if i can get it to work properly. If you are not familiar with it i'll give you the short of it.  It has a total of 4 buttons and 1 throttle control on the left side.  My problem starts when I try to increase my throttle on whatever I may be flying or driving.  When increasing the throttle I get no response until just over half way, and then the trottle on the aircraft or whatever increases to 20%to30% and flucuates madly and never goes to full throttle, and it seems there is no middle ground for the flucuation.  I have calibrated it with my windows, but not through AH.  No stick settings have been designated either.  The 4 buttons work just fine but the throttle just doesn't seem to respond very well. Thank you for your time and any informaiton you can give me on this problem would be appreciated.  Thank you, Sam

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
JOYSTICK TROUBLE
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2001, 12:47:00 AM »
First thing first. Calibrate it in windows. Once calibrated in windows click the 'test' tab (on the same page where ya calibrated it) and move the throttle slowly through its full range of motion and watch the red slider bar - look carefully how reacts to your movements. It should mirror your movements exactly. If you see it leaping up and down whilst you are moving it slowly and smoothly you may have a faulty JS (the pot is buggered). It does happen with cheaper JS even when they are new.

Next, move the rest of the JS through all its dimensions very slowly and smoothly and watch the little cursor, if is jumping around AND you throttle is a bit jumpy then it maybe your gameport.

Next if it all looks good at this stage, go ahead and calibrate in AH. And again go through the same diagnostic procedure of watching how it responds to your slow and smooth movements.

Experiment around with the damper settings on the throttle in Aces High and see what gives you reasonable stability. More damping the slower the response to your movements will be. The less, the faster it will respond but it will also show up any spiking (usually fairly small) your JS maybe doing.

Try it on another PC and see what happens. Try a mates JS on your PC and see what happens.

Also, try disabling the "poll with interupts" checkbox on the gamecontroller page (windows).

Hope something here helps.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline cheetah6

• Zinc Member
JOYSTICK TROUBLE
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi, I have the same joystick. It work fine for a while then the spike syndrome began. It would spike and jig all over the place, throwing my aim off. Everything I did in both window calibration and ace high didn't help too much. I ask around and no one could help much. Then I came upon this thread and found this one advice that Spatula said in his post above.

"Also, try disabling the "poll with interupts" checkbox on the gamecontroller page (windows)."

I did this and now its solid as a rock.  

What give? Why does it spike like so? I know it has something to do with it being analog. (I once had MS Sidewinder joystick) And what, how  disabling 'poll with interupts'help? What do I lose in the process?

Thanks for any info on this!

and thanks to Spatula for this little advice!

Cheetah6

[This message has been edited by cheetah6 (edited 02-08-2001).]