Author Topic: First attempt natural metal  (Read 673 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
First attempt natural metal
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:25:37 AM »
Done the center pod only. Thought I'd get some feedback on it.
Thanks to Oboe for his psd file!!!

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:50:15 AM »
Looks good, Kev!    Love that nose art!    

Since this subject is a '38J, if you haven't already done this - try copying the materials.txt file from the p38l directory into the J.   The L's materials file is already set up for natural metal specularity.

Another trick is to color random panel sections slightly darker or lighter, to simulate different ages and stock of the aluminum.

Another great example is HTC's nat metal P-51D - take a close look at the wings upper surface and notice the hue variations and scratch marks added.    Really a great work there.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
Thanks Oboe, tried it on the port boom.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:58:27 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Looks good, Kev!    Love that nose art!    

Since this subject is a '38J, if you haven't already done this - try copying the materials.txt file from the p38l directory into the J.   The L's materials file is already set up for natural metal specularity.

Another trick is to color random panel sections slightly darker or lighter, to simulate different ages and stock of the aluminum.

Another great example is HTC's nat metal P-51D - take a close look at the wings upper surface and notice the hue variations and scratch marks added.    Really a great work there.

It's a "J"? I was thinking Blumer's big day came in either August or September of 1944. Most units still in P-38's had gone to the P-38L-5-Lo by then.

The skin does look great though, I hope it makes the cut.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 06:17:59 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
It's a "J"? I was thinking Blumer's big day came in either August or September of 1944. Most units still in P-38's had gone to the P-38L-5-Lo by then.

The skin does look great though, I hope it makes the cut.

It was a J-25.  What's amazing, having really done some reading on the 9th AF 38 guys as well as the MTO 38 groups again lately, how late in the game they got the L models.  

82nf FG had an F model that was still flying combat in June of 44 along with numerous Gs alongside the early Js.

370th FG with the 9th had early Js well into 45 with no dive flaps etc.  Their history is filled with images of those OD and Gray early Js still flying during the Battle of the Bulge.

1st FG twice sent pilots up to England to ferry down the 8th  hand me down H and J models.

Replacement pilots were astounded to see Gs still being flown when they'd been flying the latest models during training in the States.

It really changes your perspective on those 38 drivers and what they accomplished with those early pre dive flap, pre power assist controls 38s.

From the Pacific 38 group histories it seems like they must have gotten the first deliveries of L models, at least in decent numbers.  475th in particular seems to have had lots of Ls

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:32:45 PM »
Okay, I guess I just always thought it was an L. I know the guys who were in Europe I talked to told me that around June and July they were getting L models that were almost immediately replaced with P-51D's. I guess I was figuring that their new L's all went to other units in Europe who didn't switch.

Hmmmpff, mmmmpmpmf, mmmmgmggmpf, not bad for shoe leather, mmmmpf, hmmppff, needs some Tabasco.:D
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 09:51:52 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Okay, I guess I just always thought it was an L. I know the guys who were in Europe I talked to told me that around June and July they were getting L models that were almost immediately replaced with P-51D's. I guess I was figuring that their new L's all went to other units in Europe who didn't switch.

Hmmmpff, mmmmpmpmf, mmmmgmggmpf, not bad for shoe leather, mmmmpf, hmmppff, needs some Tabasco.:D

I think some of the 8th FC 38 Groups got some early L-1s around that time frame but the 9th AF guys flying ground support did not.  

The 367th birds were handed down to the 370th in February of 45 and they were handing down J models including some pre-J25 models.

Savage if you are so inclined, track down a copy of "The 370th Fighter Group in World War II"  by Jay Jones.

Schiffer Publishing

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0764317792

It totally changed my perspective on P38s operating out of England and over France.  I had a lot of preconceptions that just weren't true.

Those guys were amazing in what they were doing.  Tons of 38 photos in it too :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 09:53:04 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Thanks Oboe, tried it on the port boom.

Beautiful work Kev.  Almost enough to get me out of the G model :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters