Author Topic: Question on Trees...  (Read 366 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Question on Trees...
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:31:55 AM »
HiTech.

You have said that LODs should be used. Does that apply trees as well? IIRC the trees are either shown or not show ingame atm. Is that due to the tree LOD for higher distance then X beeing "blank" or is it due to the game engine clipping them?

If trees get "clipped" I dont see much point of using LODs.

How many pollies do you consider ok for a tree?

Also if I understand it correctly the trees arnt individually placed but are placed in "forrest" groups. Im guessing these are the size of a map "square". How big is this?

What scale should the objects them self be in? 1unit = 1meter?

Tex.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Question on Trees...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »
I can anwser a couple of those...

Units are in feet and a map tile is 1-mile square.

Hitech suggested exporting the default shapes to AC3D to get an idea of the poly counts they're looking for.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Question on Trees...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:09:35 AM »
Our trees do have LOD's.  Each bunch of trees in the game is probably around 10 polys at the highest LOD.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Question on Trees...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:41:24 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
Our trees do have LOD's.  Each bunch of trees in the game is probably around 10 polys at the highest LOD.

I thought it was 2 polys.. ;)

Seriously the trees are one of the biggest graphical weaknesses of AH atm. For planes it really only matters in deck fights (which we have quite a few) and until you are really close you dont need too detailed trees. Though for GVs driving around with the trees looking that bad it is a really painfull experience.

Ill see what I can do... I will do my best to keep it as low as I can...

Tex.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Question on Trees...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 10:52:12 AM »
Superfly, is an alpha channel part of the collision-detection process, or only just the poly?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Question on Trees...
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:52:40 AM »
Dux, the first TE the alpha channel was not part of the collision. I don't know about the new TE.

Trees are the first thing I changed in all the maps. I have some great fall and winter trees.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Dux
Superfly, is an alpha channel part of the collision-detection process, or only just the poly?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Question on Trees...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »
Speaking of trees, can you guys make sure they won't grab GVs when they run down the roads please.

On the current forest tiles, you can't drive down the roads without ending up in the middle of the tree branches when you go over the built in bridges.  We can't take the bridges out if you want to keep the ability for roads to cross the rail road tracks.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to better tiles but I don't have time to build them at the moment.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Question on Trees...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »
Alright, I was just giving info, not asking for a critique of our trees.  ;)
Fyi, I've already created a more realistic tree which will eventually replace the current models.
btw, I was talking about the trees that are like forests that have 10 polys.  The trees and bushes you see that are just one small group are just 3 polys.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting