Author Topic: Looking for some "Pony" training  (Read 409 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Looking for some "Pony" training
« on: June 12, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
As you know It's quite rare to find someone in the TA during GMT evening hours...please give me a shout.

Thank you

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm GMT -4... so what is the latest you could start?  If possible we will set up a session.  If we go on the weekend, we should both be able to be flexible enough to arrange a time.

Not that I'm claiming to be a Pony expert, but I'm a decent E fighter and a great target drone. <G>

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2000, 12:56:00 PM »
Saw heres some stuff on pony lessons read up and enjoy the ride.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT RIDING LESSONS

How do I find riding stables in my area?

Yellow pages, ads in children's magazines and local papers. Ask at your local tack shop and look over their bulletin board. If you are a resident of Maryland, the
Equiery is a great resource. The inside back page lists riding facilities by county. There is also a directory of instructors. Pick up a free copy at a MD tack shop,
e-mail equiery@erols.com, or phone them at 800-244-9580 for a sample copy.

Why should I ride?

Like many other sports, horseback riding gives many people a strong sense of self-confidence and accomplishment. For kids, learning to care for and tend to a horse
helps develop a sense of responsibility; riding will teach them the meaning of commitment. Adults benefit from the exercise (without having to go to a boring spa), and
escape from their usually hectic schedule.

How much exercise will I get?

According to Johanna Harris, publisher of the Equestrian Athlete, calories burned by equestrian activities are:

Equestrian Activity       Cal/hr
   posting trot               420
   sitting trot               450
   canter                     514
   gallop                     558
   clean stalls               550

How long does it take to learn to ride?

That depends on your goals and natural ability. Discussing goals with your riding instructor is very important at the start. This will help your instructor design a lesson
program for you.

When can my child start riding lessons?

Six to seven years of age is generally a reasonable age to start. Your child should have:

The desire to ride.

Muscle strength to hold the proper position in the saddle.

The balance to remain on the horse.

The ability to understand instructions and follow directions.

Sufficient attention span for instruction.

Neck muscles strong enough to support fitted, approved protective headgear.

Because riding comes with a great deal of responsibility, children shouldn't start until they are ready to learn how to groom and care for the horse. Emotional maturity
is just as important as physical development.

How do I find the right stable and instructor?

For as little as ten to twenty dollars, you can try an introductory lesson and see if you are comfortable on a horse and want to continue. Only after you are sure that
horseback riding is not a passing fancy should you consider purchasing the necessary equipment and signing up for months of lessons. Choosing the right instructor is
very important, to ensure that your riding is enjoyable and educational. Talk to people who ride or have children who ride. Every riding instructor has a different way
of doing things. Schedule appointments with several different instructors in order to choose the one that best suits your objectives and personality. A good instructor
is sensitive and understanding, shouldn't yell or try to intimidate you. If you observe or receive instruction like that, go somewhere else! Many stables allow
prospective students to have a sample lesson to see if the horse and the instructor are a good fit. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Your first concern should be
safety. Look for an instructor who focuses on the positive. When you're first starting out, you make a lot of mistakes. It doesn't help to be criticized for that. An
instructor should encourage students when they do something well.

Most stables have private and group lessons available. Group lessons are good for beginners, who can observe the strengths and weaknesses of other riders and
benefit from that. You may want to take a private to hone your skills from time to time, or if your schedule does not allow you to join a group lesson. Once you have
chosen an instructor, the first lesson should be devoted to simply getting comfortable on the horse, not galloping around the ring. When examining a stable and an
instructor, consider the following questions: Is safety a main concern? Are the lesson horses calm and easygoing? Do the other students look like they are having fun?
Does the instructor offer solid, positive reinforcement to the riders?

Parents: an instructor should have no problem with you observing lessons. Take the time to watch closely while the instructor interacts with students and make sure
your child feels comfortable before committing to lessons. In particular, try to observe a teacher who is teaching students the same age as your child. Watching a
teacher work with teenage students won't tell you much about how well they interact with seven-year-olds.

What about riding instructor certification?

Certified instructors have demonstrated (to a self-appointed certifying organization's satisfaction) the ability to instruct their students in a safe, knowledgeable and
professional manner. Certification does not necessarily mean an instructor will work well with all ages and/or skill levels. There are good non-certified instructors, just
as there are bad certified instructors. When choosing an instructor, the evaluation and selection criteria described above are more important than the certification level
of the prospective instructor.

How much does it cost?

Typically, group lessons cost about twenty dollars per hour. Private lessons are a little more expensive, averaging twenty-five to thirty dollars per half hour. Some
stables and instructors require payment in advance for a set number of lessons. Some offer a discount for payment in advance.

What equipment do I need?

When it is time to purchase riding equipment, look to your instructor for guidance. There are many fancy riding outfits available, but most students, especially
beginners, will do fine wearing comfortable pants and a shirt. Every beginning student needs a safety-approved helmet and good lace-up boots. It is important for
boots to have a strong heel to prevent the rider's foot from slipping through the stirrup. A basic safety helmet can be purchased for around fifty dollars while the
traditional black velvet helmet is about eighty dollars. Make sure your helmet meets ASTM standard #F1163-95 and is SEI certified. Click here to see if your helmet
is on the SEI approved list. The instructor should provide all the other supplies you will need, such as saddle, bridle, etc.

What about falling off?

Some people say the hardest part about learning to ride is the ground! Falling is definitely a concern for many prospective students. Thanks to modern safety
equipment, severe injuries are relatively uncommon. When students are just starting out, falling off the horse is a reality they will have to face. Many people never fall
off, but you should be prepared for an occasional bump or scrape. A recent study of 121,274 horse-related injuries treated at hospital emergency rooms, revealed
that only 1% occurred at a riding school facility. Many instructors teach beginner-riders how to do an emergency dismount safely, so if the student "falls off" they do
so in as safe and non-harmful way as possible.

Should I buy my own horse?

It is not necessary to own a horse to get full enjoyment out of riding. Families who live in the city or in subdivisions, simply don't have room to keep a horse on their
property. Boarding a horse at a stable can cost more than many people can afford. Besides owning a horse, there are other ways for people to have access to horses
and riding equipment. Enrolling in a lesson program that offers occasional trail rides and other activities is the least expensive. Many stables will allow students to ride
in exchange for helping out at the barns, something many students are eager to do. Leasing is another option. Larger stables will have lease horses available for
people who aren't sure about committing to purchasing a horse.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Member Of The 1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Everthing else is just Second place.
Indian's Homepage

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2000, 01:19:00 PM »
ROFL ! Indian !

Lephturn, thank you SIR ! Just like in the good olde days !   Dropped you an Email  

(GMT-4??? U live in Groenland ?)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
Saw, I can do some time with you in the TA if ya want, I aint the best but that shouldnt stop us having some fun.
I seem to be on when you are in GMT+1200. So exactly half a day out.

Give me a bell if ya want.

Spat.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group