Author Topic: P38G internal armor glass question  (Read 172 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P38G internal armor glass question
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:41:36 PM »
I've been trying to find a photo to illustrate the concern without much success.  It seems to me that the upper portion of the AH2 P38G armor glass is too low, causing some serious view problems.

Did some digging and hope this helps explain what I mean.  On the upper photo you can see that the upper edge of the armor is above the top of the pilot's head and extends out from under the front windscreen, meaning that it is actually under the upper canopy piece when it's closed.  The pilot isn't having to duck under it to see as it feels like we are doing when flying the AH G model.

Bottom photo is where it seems like it should be to me.  

And for what it's worth, and not something I'm suggesting should be changed, but the armor plate behind the pilot was also different in the early model 38s E-H and had the leather headrest.

Dan/Slack

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:39 PM »
Have to agree. Here's what I put together earlier. [edit: Though actually, I think your perspective view is more accurate than just lowering the seat view.]

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=141406&referrerid=5405

Charon
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 09:00:14 AM by Charon »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 04:23:46 AM »
Thanks Rust... I was willing to bet my left one that the armored glass was placed too low. Seriously, what pilot would want that small amount of forward visibility, unless you're flying pure pursuit angles you have no clue where or what the bandit is doing.

That was my only complaint about the G, thanks for doing the homework gents. I have a few pics, but nothing has a cockpit view of the placement of the armored glass. Thanks again!
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!