Author Topic: tired to watch my posts? well here goes another question (throle confusion)  (Read 450 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota

yes other one I'm a little confused about the use of throle:
1) u guys use it in ACM?
2) I'm allways at full throle this is bad? should I use less throle to burn less fuel?
3) I saw in some articles about reduce your throle to reduce air speed if you go to fast behind a guy 6's, if I reduce throle I lose energy too, so what's the point? change energy for a guns solution? what if I miss...
well what's the best use of throle?

some good and pacient pilot there can help?  

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
The use of throttle is fairly simple:
- use it to maintain your planes speed (not too fast not too slow) depending on the situation.
I.E.
- Landing, (no prop drag) so 0-10% throttle.
- Zoom climb 100% and WEP
- Diving (no prop drag) depending on speed anything from 0% to 100%
- ACM, mostly 100% and WEP, except if you are going too fast you might want to button of a bit, or at the top of hammer-head or wingover cut to 0% so the top of your plane no longer wants to head up and falls over toward the ground rather than fighting against the propulsion.
- defensive moves like sissors, i back off a bit say 80% to try increase the speed dif between me and the con who dived on my 6.
- Feul savings, chop to 40% throttle and/or adjust RPM to save feul.

This is just how i use the throttle and others may use it differently.
I tend to think throttle is going to play a lot bigger part when 1.03 comes out. It has prop-drag.

------------------
Overlord Spatula

if you adhere to all the rules you miss out on all the fun

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 06-13-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
hey thanks spatula now I'm clear
see ya

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
terracota

A couple of other techniques...

In a WW2 plane, you will most likely need more power for longer periods of time during hard BFM maneuvering. This is because the power-to-weight ratio of prop planes is not as good as it is in modern jets. This is true of AH.

Your throttle position can help or hurt in a turn. In level turning, as a rule use full power...you will need all you can get.

Vertical turning is different. Imagine a loop. One good technique is to use full power at the top of the loop and minimum power as you come out the bottom. This assumes that you are slow coming over the top and therefore need full power..and it assumes you are at high speed at the bottom. Using full power at the bottom tends to increase your turn radius, which may not be what you want...in any case, at high speed, you will not need full power to sustain your backpressure.

If you find yourself in a knife fight (such as a scissors), don't be afraid of large and rapid throttle movement. If you need to cut your speed, then use whatever means you have...throttle, rudder, rolling maneuvers, etc. During times like this, finesse tends to go out the window, and brute technique often wins the day.

Andy