Author Topic: Four queries  (Read 371 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Four queries
« on: November 24, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Firstly, I haven't got the hang of net lag yet and would appreciate assistance in how to aim. At the moment I'm resorting to little more than Spray'n'Pray, which limits me to only one kill (if that) per sortie.  Does the distance in front depend upon how laggy the target is?

Secondly, I resupplied an airfield twice (A5 or A6). The first time I reckon the field had recently regenerated itself - but I got no messages. The second time, I saw fires before I dropped and no fires after, but again, I got no message. And no perks. What did I miss?

Thirdly, I tried out the Ack-Ack. I'm sure I downed one aircraft - a Spit or a P-51 - but again, got no message. I shot at it, it went down, no message, no score. Do you not get a score with the ack-ack?

Fourthly, last night I was at high alt (20K+) in a Spit or a Mossie (can't recall which) and spotted a con at extreme low alt in a F6F. Easy meat with my vast E advantage, right? Wrong: I found it very difficult to manoeuver down to engage, and was shot down as a result. What did I do wrong? Should I have just not engaged?

Ahhh, but AH is fun - I killed 2 or 3 today, and was only killed once.

I took up the Mossie, dove, and broke the wings. :}

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Four queries
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
Four answers for ya  :)

1) There are times when net lag is bad. An especially well-known case is the 'trigger-lag', a lag which happens when either you or somebody else pulls the trigger, and it gives you out this split-sec frame freeze that messes up the crucial timing.

The main reason for this usually the sound card setups using hardware acceleration options. Other reasons are when there are loooots of people on-line, or if one's (ever awlays  :D) stupid ISP goes hay-wire...

Other than this trigger-lag, there really isn't anything to be considered when you shoot. You just shoot it right and the bogey will definately go down. The only that gets in the way is warp lag and trigger lag, and usually, these two thing cannot be prevented.  :(

2) Resupplies do not give out messages, but one can notice he was successful by the perks he earned. I'm not sure on this one, but maybe you missed a few crates on the drop. Someone else probably can clarify this issue..

3) By ack-ack I take you mean the anti-aircraft vehicles. There IS a kill message when you drop things with these. If you are sure you dropped the plane, but got no message.. the possibilities are: a) the wuss alt+f4'd out, b) you hit a previously damaged plane and the credit went to someone else, or c) you didn't kill it, it just looked so.

4) Vast energy is dangerous to one's health if the pilot is not skilled in the fine arts of BnZ. I used to think 'hey, this BnZ is impossible!' myself.

I used to fly in Fighter Ace 2, relaxed realism TC arena  :D I was a good turn fighter pilot there(but in FA2 RR arena, everybody's a good TnB pilot  :D), and wasn't too bad in BnZing. In FA2, everybody does it like dropping down a bogey at 3k from 15k and climbing back to 15k. I tried the same when I first came here.. and my first attempt ended in a spectacular crash, 'Lawn-Dart Style'.  

Energy is on your advantage if you have exactly the amount you need. If there's too little, you can't fight effectively, and if there's too much, it's more of hinderance than help. If you decide to engage a very low con when you are very high, then get down low first. Burn off all the excessive speed and altitude. Just keep as much as you need. Skillful pilots exploit  this common mistake of overspeed very well.  :)

Hammerhead

Four queries
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
Just to add to the bit about extra energy.
With the nme having extra energy and a bit of luck u can kill a plane very easily...  ;) .
Example:- I was low (under 10k) with a P51D and a hi SpitIX (15k+) decided to engage me.
I dived just a bit and waited for the guy to get within d=1.8. By then I was doing 350mph and he was still closing. I knew he was compessing. d=1.5 and zoom I pull up....
Then a simple tight vertical loop and bingo! I have him in my sights  :D .