Author Topic: WEP  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
WEP
« on: November 28, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
Do you use WEP during takeoffs?

I use WEP during takeoffs and if i dive to get away from an enemy.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
WEP
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
I will sometimes use it on take-off, especially if the field is under attack.

Also, I will use WEP off a CV.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
WEP
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
I use wep for carrier take offs. Theres no reason to use (waste) WEP on any airfield to take off. Its just not needed and a waste. Try to keep every second of WEP for fights.

Dog out......

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
WEP
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2001, 08:38:00 PM »
Using WEP for take off and climb is sometimes essential in Bf-109s. The alt climb rate dramatically increases in this plane series, which already has tremendous climb rate even without WEP(Methanol/Water engagement to be exact) on  :)... Especially in an environment where furballs occur frequently, a plane like 109G2 or G10 can usually jump into the fray in about a minute or so.

Ofcourse.. usually people wouldn't want to up a plane like the 109 when there's a furball nearby..  :) but still, if one chooses so, like to drop the oncoming buffs, WEP is a good choice. What more emergency can there be, when there are buffs heading this way  :D ?

Offline empire2

• Copper Member
      • http://www.marineairwingah.homestead.com/HomePage.html
WEP
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
i try to use wep all the time  :D
I diddlyING LOVE ACES HIGH

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
WEP
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Often use WEP on take off. WEP in Aces High is modled unrealisticly (or at least I think so) When you use wep, you can keep using it untill a time when your engine temprature reaches the red. At this time it will kick it's self out. Give it 5/10 min's if that and you will have full WEP capability back again. This is what I remember. So if I am wrong then please tell me  :)

In Dogfights I use wep, When running like a screaming school girl I use WEP and also on a steap climb out. But apart from that I don't use it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WEP
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
I think Betown's right.  WEP just won't work if your temp hits the red.  Of course, if you turn your engine off for a bit, you'll cool down really fast.  (not recommended while fighting obviously)

Also, if your radiator gets hit and you're running back to base, watch the temp gauge.  When it gets in the red, kill your engine (as in totally off, not just throttled back) and glide a bit.  When the temp gets out of the yellow, turn the engine back on again.  It's kinda gamey, but you can milk your way back home doing this if you don't have the alt to glide her all the way in.  Managed a Spit V back home from 25 miles out with only 7000 ft of alt doing this.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
WEP
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
i use it in combat and when taking off.

Normaly i'll milk it all the way to 10k because in the AC(s) i fly alt is normaly more important than WEP. further more, as stated previously, after a few minutes you have full wep potential.

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
WEP
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
is it possible to blow out you engien using WEP too much.

I remember way back i used wep while i was in the red and kept truning it back on even though i was in the hot zone.
After a few minutes my engien started to pour out white smoke.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
WEP
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
No chaos it automaticly shuts its self off.

Although i think it would be a cool addition if you could actualy damage your engine.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
WEP
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
BTW "white smoke" is actualy fuel leakage from what i have seen. Black smoke can normaly be related to engine or radiator damage.

Hammerhead

WEP
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Just a curious question........  ;)
But I thought WEP drive was the addition of certain high combustion fuel into the engine cylinders when the engine was required to produce higher power output.
AM I RIGHT?????  :confused:
If so, WEP should overheat the engines, (as it does) and could damage the engines (as it should do) but after a specified amount of "WEP" time, the special fuel should run out and thus WEP shouldn't be available anymore.
If I am right then that how it should be....

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
WEP
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
I could be mistaken hammerhaed but i think it oxygenates the fuel (like Turbo in a car), making it burn hotter thus adding more horse power.

I could wrong though as i said, dont know a lot about WWII era engines.

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
WEP
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2001, 03:48:00 AM »
No idea about WEP in real life but,
White Smoke: Fuel Leak
Grey Smoke: Radiator Damaged (you have between 2& 5 min's at full power left)
Black smoke: Dead Engine
Orange Flames: Your on fire... Run Run Run Out Out Out.
Brown lumps of squidgy stuff: Urmm Never Mind....

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
WEP
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hammerhead:
Just a curious question........   ;)
But I thought WEP drive was the addition of certain high combustion fuel into the engine cylinders when the engine was required to produce higher power output.
AM I RIGHT?????   :confused:
If so, WEP should overheat the engines, (as it does) and could damage the engines (as it should do) but after a specified amount of "WEP" time, the special fuel should run out and thus WEP shouldn't be available anymore.
If I am right then that how it should be....

It depends on the plane type as to what wep is.  In the F4U for example (and most other U.S. rides as I recall) Wep is water injection....creating high humidity increases oxygen in the air which in turn increases power output.  I would think that injection water would eventually run out.  In the german a/c (maybe some others I dont know) Wep is a nitrous injection, I would also think that would run out.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this please  :)

As far as damage to the engines from wep...I have no idea.  I do know that most of the planes in WW2 weren't flown WOT to a fight, preferring instead to fly at cruise settings (lower rpm and manifold pressures).  I would think that constant WOT would be hard on the motors also.  However we also don't fly for hours to get to a fight, so fuel isn't as big an issue.  So I reckon wep usage and availability along with WOT while flying to the fight is sort of a gameplay concession.

At any rate  since all planes have the ability to have wep as long as the engine temp is not in the red there is no advantage for any one plane over another with regards to wep availability except the zeke and yak.  At least that's the way I see it  :).