Author Topic: ditch bug  (Read 639 times)

storch

ditch bug
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:17:50 PM »
Got a ditch and lost tiger landing on the concrete in front of VHs at V125 current map.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
ditch bug
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 04:08:11 PM »
Were there any bad guys around (within a mile or two..cannot recall the exact number)?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

storch

ditch bug
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:54:30 PM »
probably not in any event I had no damage.  I was just RTB no one got a kill message.  Just said I had ditched.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
ditch bug
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »
You will get a ditch if there is an enemy around.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
ditch bug
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:02:45 AM »
why?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
ditch bug
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 06:21:11 AM »
Player spawns, sees a bad guy about to blow him up, then bails.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
ditch bug
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 08:09:55 AM »
U shouldn't if he at the VH which he stated he was.  On concrete pad in front of VH.  U should get a landed message when on the pad regardless if enemy are around or not.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline JB17

• Zinc Member
ditch bug
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »
I don't think you should a sucessfull landing if your within cannon range of an enemy.  I think my theory is sound but implementation is probably impracticle becasue I'd be upset if an M3 hiding in the woods gave my Tiger a ditch.

What about spawning to a point that is being camped, there is an unfair advantage to the camper.  Can you return to tower without a ditch?  Perhap multiple spawn points between two bases could combat the problem (I don't see spawn camping as "sporting" but within the rules of the game).

my two cents.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
ditch bug
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 11:31:29 AM »
The setup is supposed to prevent the "Gameyness"...however the solution is as gamey or gameier than the act that the setting is trying to penilize...... besides....i have ended mission in GVs Vbases with NME sitting 50 yards from me and gotten sucessful landings.. conversly...i have ended mission on current map as well as others at an airfield on the concrete and lost a tiger due to dich. It seems there is no ryme or reason. Its just the way it is.

storch

ditch bug
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »
well in any event it cost me a Tiger in what should have been a safe place to land.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
ditch bug
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 07:59:59 PM »
I too have suffered this on the current map.

Drive miles back to land on concrete at vh and to be rewarded with a ditch and the loss of half the perks.

There are two issues being discussed here.  The issue as outlined above and also in the parent post plainly stinks.  Why, because it is inconsistent with the life rules in the rest of our "game world".

There needs to be clearly defined safe landing places and they are required to be consistent.  Anything less is unfair to players, as well as an annoyance and a distraction.  Taking something from a player  unjustly won't encourage them to renew their sub at the end of the month.

The second issue raised here is primarily about GV's and landings in remote places.  This arises most often because of the distance spawn benefit given to gv's and boats.

If I spawn a 262 and see I am about to be vulched, I can return to the tower and not be penalised.  I can do that also with a Tiger if I do it at the home base.  If I should spawn out, then I am at the mercy of the reception committee.  If there is a player inside the "magic" distance and I return to tower he gets a proxy kill.

Perhaps there needs to be a debate on the fairness and merits of this.

Proxy kills in air to air are easily justifiable.  I have been outflown many times and driven into the ground by superior skill without suffering a bullet in the 'frame.  The opposing player definitely deserves the credit.  How so with ground vehicles?  If you can't put a ping on the opponent's gv why do you deserve credit for a kill?  If I ditch my shot up fighter at the runways edge you don't get a kill for that.  How does somebody deserve a gv kill without ever even laying eyes on it?

Add to this the current "underground" spawning bug problem.  You spawn and discover you are under the terrain.  Your only recourse is to tower out.  Some guy is climbing out in a set of buffs and collects your "kill".  All your Tiger perks gone - not even just half.  You didn't get to play.  You didn't get shot.  You just got robbed.

The "ditch" may be a deterrent to ending a fight by running away and going to tower before reaching the safety of "home."  I am satisfied with that.  Ditching apparently occurs when you are "on your own turf".  Subject to the rule that safe landing areas are known and consistent - ditching is good idea and should do the task it was implemented for.

The remote spawn can and should be modified to provide for a consistent and fairer experience however.    *(OK I am not a coder and don't know how hard it is to implement this).

If there is an object placed at the tip of the spawn that is ownership associated with the base you spawn in from, then when you go to tower you would get a "ditch" instead of a "death" to an idle passer by.  As it stands it is heavily in favour of the camper and an unbalancing issue.  You spawn in quietly in an M3 and see that there is a camper sleeping on the job.  If you despawn to get something to wake him up with, you just gave the came away, as he suddenly gets a proxy kill.  He will be alert when you spawn in again seconds later.  If it were a simple ditch then yes you get punished for leaving without fighting, but he also faces punishment for sleeping on the job rather than an auto-reward.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
ditch bug
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »
I posted about losing a Tiger right behind the VHs in the grass. No enemy around and no damage. I lost one about a week later at a port. The port was under attack and I had lost a turret. I landed on the concrete and got a ditch. Guys in Ostwinds and Panzers were able to land with no problems anywhere. Damaged or not. Planes were able to land there with no trouble as well. This makes no sense.

The ability to land at a Vbase pre last patch worked just fine. Anyway of this being changed back?

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
ditch bug
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 11:04:28 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You will get a ditch if there is an enemy around.

That seems ridiculous. This would be the same as if I land a plane on the runway & if there is an enemy near by it gives a ditch.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
ditch bug
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 12:04:53 PM »
OK, I misunderstood HT's original explanation.

If you are on a runway, you should not get a ditch, regardless of the enenmy situation, BUT you must not be moving when you exit on the runway or you will get a ditch.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
ditch bug
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »
I think there is a little confusion here. In my experience:

If you end your mission in a GV on the grass/trees and an enemy is close, you don't get a Ditch, you get Killed.

If you end your GV mission on the grass/trees at a friendly base and no enemies nearby, you will get a Successful Landing.

If you end your GV mission on the grass/trees a long ways from anything and no enemies, you will get a Successful Landing. This is true even if you are three sectors deep in enemy territory. Note, you have to drive away from any enemy base for this to work. I don't know exactly how far, but I've done it a few times when the base I was defending got captured and there was no hope of re-taking it.

If you end your A/C mission on the grass/trees a long ways from anything and no enemies, but in enemy territory, you will get a Captured.

If you end your A/C mission on the grass/trees in friendly territory, you will get a Ditch.

In a GV right next to the map room on the concrete, you should get a Successful Landing. However this is bugged, many times I have gotten a Ditch. I believe this is the bug being complained about here. Any time a GV is on concrete at a friendly Base or Town, you should get a Successful Landing, but frequently we get a Ditch !