Author Topic: Old Questions Revisited  (Read 617 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Old Questions Revisited
« on: May 09, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm slowly settling in after a 4+ month layoff. So far so good, but want input on a couple of area's.

Stick setup

So far I've left the defaults alone...I'm finding that keeping the EDGE in a T&B is a bit of a challenge and that at moderate speeds in E fighting I'll blackout a bit. I "F-disked" before I reloaded so I blew my old stick settings out. I'm not certain exactly how I set up before and would love input/comments from folks.

Energy Management

Got a chance to fly a few vs Cobra last week and spent an hour or more flying against DZ (forget long name )...anyway all in all not to bad but my e management is way off...my gut feel is that constant G's scrub more E than pull & unload, pull & unload etc. I'd love any tips comments there also.

Gunnery

My gunnery is pretty bad, much worse than it should be. When I view a film clip "guncam" seems much jerkier than "live" is this common..or an indication of packet loss etc smoothed out in vidio stream.

I'm fully aware of effect of G's on gunnery...infact had DZ squeaking I was laggy ...when he was unloading the 20mm in my wake. At same time any comments/tips for gunnery/rubber bullets very welcome.

last on the list is more complicated, my pos-E tactics truely suck...i'm guessing simply patience. Constantly being forced out of plane by climbing rev looking for FQ shot...the uber nikki is much worse than when I left...but good 190/spit/Chog drivers always have relied on this...hoping to film a few for critique...again all comments welcome.

thanx

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »

Stick setup

So far I've left the defaults alone...I'm finding that keeping the EDGE in a T&B is a bit of a challenge and that at moderate speeds in E fighting I'll blackout a bit. I "F-disked" before I reloaded so I blew my old stick settings out. I'm not certain exactly how I set up before and would love input/comments from folks.

Well, you will have to tune this depending on your stick and your own preferences.  Personally, I leave roll at all 100% with a minimal deadband and minimal dampning.  I scale yaw heavily starting around 30% and curving up smoothly to 95%.  I have a deadband set about 1/4 way up the slider, and quite a bit of dampning as well.  I have a twisty stick, so I have to set my yaw up like this.  If you have rudder pedals you may want more authority, lower deadbands, and lower damper settings.  Pitch is the really critical one.  This is very personal, and even will changed based on your style of fighting and your plane for some folks.  Start by trying two settings, one all 100% with minimal deadband and dampning, and another scaling from very low to 95% in a diagonal line, with more deadband and more dampning.  You'll find one of these situations may suite you better, so pick one of the two extremes and adjust back from there.  It's very personal, and will require some offline testing and adjusting.  Luckily you can make the changes in flight.  Fly offline and take up your favourite bird.  Set your scaling, attack a drone or two, then adjust.  Lather, rinse, repeat, and season to taste.

Energy Management

Got a chance to fly a few vs Cobra last week and spent an hour or more flying against DZ (forget long name )...anyway all in all not to bad but my e management is way off...my gut feel is that constant G's scrub more E than pull & unload, pull & unload etc. I'd love any tips comments there also.

Overall I think your right.  It depends on the plane of course, but generally speaking short pulls and unloaded accelerations whenever possible will conserve your energy better than sustained turns.  Most planes better suited to pure E fighting have good instantaneous turn rates, but bad sustained ones, so what you describe works even better in that case.

Gunnery

My gunnery is pretty bad, much worse than it should be. When I view a film clip "guncam" seems much jerkier than "live" is this common..or an indication of packet loss etc smoothed out in vidio stream.

I'm fully aware of effect of G's on gunnery...infact had DZ squeaking I was laggy ...when he was unloading the 20mm in my wake. At same time any comments/tips for gunnery/rubber bullets very welcome.

Yep, shooting at anything more than 1 G is difficult.  Whenever possible, unload to at least 1 G before you fire.

As far as "rubber bullets", some folks have seen hits without damage being done, and some video card settings such as disabling V-synch seem to contribute to these problems.  Make sure v-synch is ENABLED to avoid problems.

Yes, the film is always more jerky than it feels/looks when flying.  The film viewer is updated at about network speed, so your adjustments always look jerky in the films.

What bird are you flying and what convergence are you using?  I may be able to provide more specific advice.

last on the list is more complicated, my pos-E tactics truely suck...i'm guessing simply patience. Constantly being forced out of plane by climbing rev looking for FQ shot...the uber nikki is much worse than when I left...but good 190/spit/Chog drivers always have relied on this...hoping to film a few for critique...again all comments welcome.

E fighting is all about starting with a positive E condition and using lag pursuit and the vertical to maintain position.  I fly the Jug and the Hellcat (both E fighters) and have little trouble with the N1k or any others.  You have to treat a plane like that with respect due to it's good turning, good guns, and great zooming/acceleration, but it's no uber plane.  It's also not very fast, so depending on what your flying, you can engage and disengage the N1k at will.

What specific problem are you having vs. say the N1k, and what are you flying?  Again, some more info and we'll get into specifics.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
Leph,

Started with the 47-25, also been flying the pony and 205 a bit...think I'm gonna settle back into yak...it's the most fun for me to fly. Been flying the 9T last day or so.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2001, 12:42:00 AM »
S!

Thanx Leph for stick tips.I have felt that the controls in AH are extremely sensitive and it has been pure nightmare for me to adjust the stick properly,especially the pitch.At worst I deflect the stick only a few millimeters and I stall,sometimes I can pull through the whole movement and the plane stalls at the last few millimeters of stick movement?!Seems to vary a lot or do I need to calibrate the stick in AH every time I login?
 A question for the 109/190-pilots.What settings do You use on the stick?Hints/tips are welcome..need to improve in that area to achieve better results  

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2001, 06:40:00 AM »
Humble,

The Yak 9T is the slower, big gunned Yak.  The 9U is faster I think.

Anyway, both Yaks are good vertical fighters.  They turn reasonably well, but you want to conserve your energy using vertical maneuvers and lag pursuit whenever possible.  If you are flying the 9T, it has a big gun, so you'll need to fly to get a good shot with it.  Get in close for a quick shot that can't miss.  A few rounds from that howitzer will do the trick.  The larger cannons normally drop significantly due to their weight, so you'll need to set up for close shots and not miss them.  Try your convergence at about 250 or 300, experiment a little with it.  I don't remember what the gun set is on that Yak 9T, but you likely want to fire the big cannon separately so you can ensure you are hitting with it and not just MG's or lighter cannons.  If you've got MG's, you can set their convergence out longer and use them alone to ping escaping bandits to try and get them to turn.

DB,

You shouldn't have to recalibrate your stick every time in AH.  Calibrate it in Windows, calibrate it in AH.  Now check the setup screen and see if your graph shows it's drifting or changing.  If it is, you may have a stick that's getting a bit flaky.  If it helps, try calibrating every time you play AH, it can't hurt.

------------------

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
I have a stick scaling setup I like very much that has been received well by those who have tried it.

It may require more stick movement that you may like but I find it easier to hold on target and it gives me a more realistic "feel" to my flying.

Leph has seen it and has a different point of view about it but if you like I will email you a zip file containing some bitmaps showing what I set mine at. My email addy is in my profile.

[This message has been edited by Mark Luper (edited 05-11-2001).]
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2001, 08:20:00 AM »

The big thing is to try some different things and choose what suits you, your stick, and your style.

Mark, I forget what yours was.  Post your bitmaps here and we'll talk about 'em if you like.  

------------------

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2001, 06:02:00 PM »
Ok, here they are...
Pitch

Roll

Yaw

These give me a "soft" on center feel and requires a bit more stick movement than some people like but I like the overall "feel" of the setup and I find tracking targets easier.

Enjoy  

[This message has been edited by Mark Luper (edited 05-11-2001).]
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Aqualung

• Zinc Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
MarkAT,

Just curious, but what stick are you using with these values?

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
MarkAT
I will through mine in for a contrast for disussion purposes. I run mine up on top on the Pitch and Roll..my Yaw is similar but it moves up a bit quicker. One thing to note is a subtle difference on the Deadband and Dampining. My stick settings allow me more latitude in turning when nesessary but I have to be more cautious with stick movement for E management.    

Stick:CH F-16 Fighter Stick
Throttle:CH PRO Throttle
Rudder:CH PRO Peddels

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 05-11-2001).]
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
I am using a CH Force FX as a F16 Combat Stick since ff is not in the game. I use a CH Pro Throttle and a very old set of TM rudder pedals I have modified so I can fly with my heels on the floor. I also replaced the spring with a pair of 1/2" bungee cords, it gives me some feedback on how far I push them that way.

Most of the people who have tried this setup liked it. Most were also fairly new to the game and had not trained their "feel" with another setup yet.

One may need to adjust the damping and deadband to suit their sticks.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »
Great info guys....is there a default now....used to be once you moved em you had to manually set em back.

Leph....I do map yak guns to sep buttons...usually i only fire cannon from 150 on in.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Old Questions Revisited
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »
Great Humble,

However, you can fire a bit farther out than that.  I normally find 250 or less is plenty.  Do whatever works for you thought.  You will certainly kill stuff if you hold your fire until very close.  However, you will have to start firing earlier on passes where you are much faster than the bogey and closing quickly.

------------------