Author Topic: Before and after (3d renderings)  (Read 562 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Before and after (3d renderings)
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:18:38 PM »
A barrracks building I'm working on - total polys at 70 right now, including both damage/undamaged models, prior to any LODS.  (2) 256x128 texture maps (1 undamaged, 1 damaged), (1) 64x64 generic roofing texture, and (1) 256x256 debris feild texture.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:01:28 AM »
Great looking, expecially those damages!!! :aok

I need just that kind of barracks in my new map, so Are you going to share it...? :)
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 02:32:53 AM »
Great looking textures Waffle, but how come so many polys? I tried to count possible polys and ended up with about 20.... 5 for damaged and 14 for undamaged model (since it looks like you have built thickness for the roof). Undamaged model could be built with as few as 6 polys though... right?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 05:15:59 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
.... Are you going to share it...?
Good question! But, since I've started AH-Terrains, I've found that few share their terrain tiles, and I really don't expect much in the object area either. :confused:
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »
How many in the Undamaged building.

Althow that roof edge looks nice close, realy isn't worth the extra to make it 3d.

Rember to not use double sided polies unless they realy are.

HiTech

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 10:35:42 AM »
You have a great eye for this stuff, Waffle. :-)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 01:19:35 PM »
It's the roof on the undamaged version that's kicking up the poly count -and the "site 5" sign out front.

In the damage scenes - there's 14 polys total- I can knock off a surface, as I think the debris is showing as a 2-side object

The undamaged roof has 20 polys, and the sign out front has 24 -lol - I can probably reduce the post to triangles

both building structures have 12 polys (damaged/undamaged)

I'm sure this will come down some as I start getting into the LODs an searching for extraneous polys that can be eliminated.
Just starting the buildings now - getting the textures done. Once they're built - then I'll go back through and start doing lods.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 01:30:38 PM by Waffle »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »
Waffle, where do you have the 14 polys in that damaged model? IMHO, it should not have more than 4 polys as the walls and then one as the ground debris. The walls as 2-sided polys and the ground as 1-sided.

What size of textures are you using, and how many of them (bmp files) for that model?  They do really look nice :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 03:08:58 PM »
when double sided - the polycounter counts them as 2 polys (faces), I presume since it has to render each side of the plane.
So I have 2 straight planes (long walls = 4 polys), the two end walls with that follow the roof rise -(8 polys) and a double sided debris, i believe.

So it should be down to 13 once the debris is taken care of, and If I change the end walls to a straight plane. then the total count will go down to 9 (8 on all walls, 1 on debris). 9 faces on a dead shape at LOD0 -

Largest BMP is 256x256 for the debris - rest are 256x128, roof is a tilled 64x64
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:13:45 PM by Waffle »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 03:42:05 PM »
Went back and did the roof cleanup and started "optimizing" -

Down to 48 total now with out any major geometry changes. I can knock it down further by 6 faces (2 undamaged,4 damaged) by changing the ends of the buildings. They are currently using a plane with one subdivision and an edited(moved) vertex point for the rise to the roof.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:44:16 PM by Waffle »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »
Do you mean that the end wall squares are made of 2 triangles?

I just asked HT a couple of days ago about what kind of polygons can be used and was surprised.. I had thought that everything had to be built with triangles. But no...  the polys can have any number of verts, 3, 4 5, or more, as long as the corner angle always turns to same direction (like in hexagons, unlike in 5-pointed stars).

With that knowledge I was able to cut the poly count by more than half in the castle I am making. The largest poly has some 9 or 10 vertices, but it is just 1 polygon :)

At least in ac3d the 1-sided and 2-sided polygons are counted similarily.. as 1 polygon.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:58:10 PM by BlauK »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 04:11:39 PM »
If you went from the vertex at the peak of the roof wall and drew a line straight down - It would be the line the 2 polys are divided on.

I haven't looked at it in ac3d yet - so not sure what the count is there.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 04:39:44 PM »
ok.. so you had 2 quads at the end, instead of just 1 polygon with 5 verts... if I got it right :)