Author Topic: Bomber Takeoff....  (Read 503 times)

Volmarias

Bomber Takeoff....
« on: February 28, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
When I try and take off with almost any large bomber, on an airfield with mountains anywhere in the vicinity, I'm more or less doomed to either NOE flying or crashing. How do I gain altitude quickly and efficiently in, oh, say a Lancaster?

TheWobble

Bomber Takeoff....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
Well lets see buddy, ok first off, if yer taking a lanc i seriously doubt you will be needing more than half a tank of gas.  

second, set yer flaps 2 notches down, this will get you off ground a little quicker, after that raise them, begin yer climb.

Yer not gonna get much more than 1k a sec climb in a lanc and as you get higher it will lesson.  the trick is to pick a runway that doesent aim you straight into a mountin.  

Aside from that there isnt much you can do.

Same applies to all other buffs BTW...accept maby the arado  

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Bomber Takeoff....
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2001, 01:41:00 AM »
Wobble that Arado is gonna be a real gas hog! I can picture the request already "uhh, this is Ghosth where's my flying Texico station? I'm almost outa gas!" ROFL!!

As for bomber takeoffs, that's something I know a tad too well. Lancasters don't like leaving Mother Earth unless you gie them a reason. When you start your takeoff, leave the flaps UP and hold the brakes until she wants to go. You'll probably run off the end of the runway, which is normal. Once your speed hits 100mph, add in a few clicks of flaps and pull up GENTLY!! If you've got enough speed she'll come up and fly really sloppy. Lancs don't like low speeds, and take forever to actually gain speed. If you survive the next 10 minutes flying level, you'll be fine. Just hit auto-climb and she'll go like a bat.

B-26 takeoffs are a sinch, floor it with 2 clicks flaps and it'll fly. Just watch the left wing dip when she comes up from the tarmac.

B-17s are like Lancasters, but without the tendency to run off the road. Be careful and let it build up to 100mph with full flaps. Be gentile on the stick and you'll be fine. Use auto-climb to prevent a nasty case of "Buffer's Arm"  

Ju-88s are like the B-26; give it gas and it'll fly with any load.

As for fuel loads, well that depends on the target you want to obliterate. Long range stuff is what the B-17 and Lanc do best. I take a B-17 out of habbit, just because I hate flying a slow Lanc. But the Lanc carries a LOT more bombs than a B-17, and at a slightly higher speed. So you either bomb from 17k with a load of ord, or you bomb from 25k with a little load. Your choice really. The Lanc on 50% fuel can range far and wide, but a B-17 will beat it hands down. A Lanc just eats gas, that's all. I've watched a Lanc load 50% fuel only to run out of gas near an enemy field. Raubvogel can tell you all about it  

For close targets, within 3 grids, take a B-26 or Ju-88. Longer distances simply depend on the target you want to kill. If you want to really blow stuff up, take a Lanc and put up with the long takeoff run. Going for a precision strike? Take a B-17.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bomber Takeoff....
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2001, 02:27:00 AM »
One thing I like to do is set climb speed a Lot lower for the lanc. This lets me go hands off a lot quicker, and gains alt faster.

Like they said above, 50% gas, flaps if you need em. (with practise you don't) Also it seems to really help if you can keep control imputs to a absolute minimum until your ready to lift it off.

Wait till you see the last of the runway go under the wheels before trying to lift it up.
Once your up get that gear up and listen to the stall horn.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Bomber Takeoff....
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
yeah hold the brakes, rev her up and let her fly.

even in the lanc i use no flaps for take off under any circumstances and i dont have any problem getten her up and in the clear.

i think the most important thing in manuevering these heavy bombers is to think ahead.  You can't whip em around like fighters (duh) so you have to plan your turns and conserve what little airspeed you have just after take-off.  An extremely gentle hand on the controls on take off will keep you out of the tower.

[This message has been edited by loser (edited 03-02-2001).]

Volmarias

Bomber Takeoff....
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks!

I managed to get a bomber into the air earlier yesterday and the whole "No Flaps/Wheel brake" thing really paid off. And now that I have that down, mountains are no longer a problem