Author Topic: tank questions  (Read 636 times)

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
tank questions
« on: March 05, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
The amount of AP rounds required to kill a panzer or flakpanzer seems to vary. Is this related to range or where you hit the vehicle? If the latter, where is the best place to hit: turret or hull?

The other day I hit a panzer with 20 AP rounds before killing it. It was obviously damaged with the first hit. (Checked my net status several times during this rather prolonged procedure and it looked good, if that matters). Does this seem right?

Also, are AP round better than HP rounds for killing armored vehicles. Seems they should be, but I can't say I've noticed much difference, other than AP round are easier to aim due to flatter trajectory.

Thanks for any advice,
myelo

myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
tank questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
Myelo, I've had the same problems you've described, and I tank quite a bit.  What i've done is to adjust the shot ever so slightly after registering 3 hit sprites...if it is still 'living' after 3, re-adjust your shot alittle higher (but not so high as to over shoot) and try to land them on the turret.  It seems that the closer you are, the more likely it will take more than 3 hits from what I've seen.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
tank questions
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
Remember that if the tank is within the boundary of an enemy field, sometimes the hit sprite you see is from you hitting something other than the tank you are aiming at.  If I haven't killed a panzer or seen some sort of damage within 3 shots then I immediately adjust aim.

-Soda

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
tank questions
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2001, 12:01:00 PM »
To kill a Panzer with one shot, aim as low as you possibly can while still hitting them.

Provided you don't hit the treads, a lower hull hit with kill a panzer with just one shot. Head on is the easiest way to accomplish this, as sometimes rear hits only disable the engine (although that is rare with tank rounds)

HE rounds geneally take 2X or 3X the number of AP depending on hit location.

- Bess

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
tank questions
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good advice. I'll try adjusting my aim slightly after a hit. I'm usually so happy when I finally get a hit that I've been reluctant to change anything, but it makes sense.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling