Author Topic: Attacking Ack in a Panzer  (Read 537 times)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Attacking Ack in a Panzer
« on: March 05, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
I was attacking an unoccupied base last night and was trying to take out the base ack with my Panzer.  I must have spent 5 minutes trying to knock out 1 lousy ack.  It finally blew me up.  I probably shot at that one ack 20-30 times using various elevations to "bracket" the target (which I couldn't see - only saw it's shell arcing up from the horizon and I was at max zoom looking thru the gunsight).  Since generally the ack are "buried" in a ditch I usually can't see them. How the heck do you get range on them. Can you go to an exterior top down view (F3 or F5)and pull back in zoom mode to get a broader view and see your shells landing (sort of like when you're in a bomber to see your bombs hitting the target)?  Otherwise, it's just a guessing game on the range of something you can't see.  At least with a GV they are above ground and you can see better.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2001, 06:36:00 PM »
By the way, how many hits from a Panzer does it take to destroy a base ack?  I would guess only one.  I couldn't tell if I'd hit it or not as I didn't notice any difference in any of the hit sprite flashes.  

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
use HE ammo to kill anything besides other vehicles. AP ammo will do nothing to hangars or acks.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
HE is more effective, but AP appears to work in a pinch, it just takes more rounds.

1 hit should destroy an ack.  Are you zooming in you sight with [ and ] to see the rounds land?  Typically you'll have to zoom in pretty far to get an idea of how the rounds are landing.

-Soda

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »

Originally posted by Tac:
use HE ammo to kill anything besides other vehicles. AP ammo will do nothing to hangars or acks.

Wrong, AP kills ack in one shot, but you have to hit it dead on...HE you just need to be within a 10 foot circle of the AA.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Yeah, how many shells you gonna waste hitting a needle ?   Ive hit acks with 1 AP round and they are still up. FUBAR I say and lob em a nuke-tipped HE round.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
Well I went into the TA and practiced some.  A single AP shell with take out ack but it has to be right on.  

I've found that when on level ground with the ack you have practically zero depth perception as to where your shells are landing (even at max zoom).  And, as a rule of thumnb, if they're shooting at me then I'm in range to shoot at them. For GVs which are on the surface you can tell if your shots are too far or too near by whether the explosion is in front or behind the vehicle and adjust accordingly.  However, with most ack, they are nearly buried in the ground so you can barely see them if at all.

So, the best attack I've found is to stay fairly far away (i.e. they haven't started firing yet) and use the AP shells to pick them off one at a time.  I de-acked an entire field that way the other night. More importantly, if at all possible, look to get elevated above the field you're attacking like on a ridgeline or hill to better spot where the shells land to adjust your gun elevation.