Author Topic: New View System Causing Freezes!  (Read 688 times)

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
New View System Causing Freezes!
« on: February 18, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
The new way views are handled (turning head modeled, etc.) results in a freeze and sound loop for me every time i  try to look up for a split second and then looking in another direction.  Twice it has just happened within 3 minutes of one another.  One in the Main arena and one in the Training arena

Bug: Freezing in a position where only blue is visible, sound looping of the engine, all keys are locked, and the only way to get out is to ctrl+alt+del and Alt+e. Alt+F4 does NOT work.

Cause: Either looking up fast and then to another direction requiring a head turn, or rapidly moving hat control in a dogfight (typical in a fight)

Any one else getting this?

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 03:38:39 PM »
If I have Track IR I will get a freez within minutes. If I dont have track ir on all is fine.

Do you use Track IR?

I can not get out even with ctrl-alt-del :( its the power button for me....

I even deleted game and re-installed from latest download...

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
I get exactly the same as Nacho described. :(

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
HITECH...results of my TIR OFF trial
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:04:53 PM »
I have Track IR Vector... First log in took off flew about 5 minuted to 10-12k, looked up and froze up solid, cant Alt F4, cant do anything but three finger salute out, and then end task.

Got back in... took off got to 10-12k... noticed Track IR (which is smooth as glass with FPS >60) starting to get choppy when I turned my head.  Then started a dogfight, and froze again.. same thing.

Hitech told me to fly with out TIR. I alt tabbed out. turned off TIR, got back in and flew for 30 minutes.. no problems.

FX-53
1024 corsair xLL pro
bfg 6800gt pci-express

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »
either of you flying with track IR?

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy
either of you flying with track IR?
not me

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »
Problems with trackIR either Balsy.

3 Discos here.

regards

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 04:34:30 PM »
Not flying with Track IR here.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 04:40:03 PM »
NOT track IR, same freeze.

Was flying over a6 at 8k, when suddenly all I had was blue screen, total freeze lock up.  Can't alt/tab, or ctrl/alt/delete.  Shutting down modem didn't help.  Had to manually power off computer to get it shut down.

??????????????????
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: New View System Causing Freezes!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 04:47:06 PM »
Originally posted by XNachoX
The new way views are handled (turning head modeled, etc.) results in a freeze and sound loop for me every time i  try to look up for a split second and then looking in another direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  What do you mean by the view system acting different?  There shouldn't be anything different there.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 05:06:30 PM »
Maybe he accidently hit snap view by mistake? BTW just got booted exactly as XnachoX explained.

Have no idea as to the cause, I was fighting a yak pulling for a lead shot checked "look forward up" view, think I hit "look up" too then the game froze.

Did notice that my system memory usage was high. If I'm not mistaken, prior to this patch it was usually in the high 380MB range but was around 538MB in MA since this patch.

Using 512 textures, sliders around 1/2, no preload to memory, 1024x768 resolution.

EDIT: I'm using a 512MB DDR33 Stick of RAM in addition to the 2x256MB DDR400
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:10:52 PM by Kaz »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
pyro, was able to reproduce the "blue" flash we talked about in the tower just now in the TA.  Look straight up, then let go of up view, and you get that blue flash.

ALSO was able to lock up my system while on take off.  I was looking LEFT and switching to UP.  Did the several times, and froze.  So it is indeed something about going from UP view, to a diff view (or from diff view to UP).  Before I froze on UP to FORWARD UP, and lastey on UP to LEFT while taking off on runway.  Dont' thinks any icon's were in view at the time.

It's deff. something to do w/ the UP view.  I will keep playing with it and try to nail it down.

(edit) I DO preload system textures.  Post above mine doesn't.  So that isn't it prob.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 05:12:18 PM »
Edit: Double post
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 10:36:03 PM by XNachoX »

Offline LeadDog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 05:16:52 PM »
I have the exact same issue with freezing ONLY in the up view.  I think but not sure that all three times the sun was involved but not positive.  I sent my DXDIAG to tech support so you can look for commonality with others having the same issue.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 05:17:11 PM »
Ok, I think we see a symptom, but we can't duplicate the problem yet.  I need a couple things from you guys who are having this problem.  

Go into the game and select Setup>Preferences>View Options.  In there check the box marked "Default to Instant View" and click OK.  Try flying with the instant views instead of the snap views and see if you are still having the problem.  Please report whether it continues or goes away and what video card you are using.  Thanks for the help and thanks to Lute for your help over the phone.