Author Topic: I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings  (Read 11403 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2005, 04:44:51 AM »
So far I kinda like the new icons. I cant say that it has changed my gameplay in any significant way. I generally fly the quad hispano Hurri so people have to want to fight me, or I have to be sneaky ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2005, 07:16:55 AM »
Did anyone really, REALLY fly that much differently against a Spit IX than against a Spit V? I know I never did.

actually, i will now.  i wouldnt drop flaps and turn with a spit5 in a 38, but i will with a spit9.  now i can tell if im gonna drop flaps or not, changes how i fight.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

storch

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2005, 07:18:35 AM »
Originally posted by JB42
Anyone that can't tell a D series and an a series 190 on appearence alone, is probably someone you don't have to worry about losing a fight to.

Here's a little secret that i used to identify planes before the new icon system. For example, my sound for the F4U-D is different than the sound for the F4U-C. I could always tell shortly after the merge.

I doubt that anyone is going to trade in their Spit5s for 9s and 14s. And as for the rest being "pushed to late war planes", aren't most in them now anyway?(La7, P-51D, Dora, F6F yada yada)

That's exactly right, if you listen carefully engine sounds are distinguishably different.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2005, 07:35:48 AM »
Cobra you've got some good points but you never last more than a few posts before typing about the other guy's crying and whining tendencies.  It tells more about your perception than the other guy.

Why don't you try and really understand and counter-argue Wotan's point?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2005, 08:12:07 AM »
I checked it, and found it very good addition. The point that people will horde early war planes hardly works, for enemy need to get close to see the icon first. In the furball when it is many targets it is a problem, because while you will check icons you can be a target yourself, and in (lets say) 2 vs 2 I would rather kill late war plane first because it is a bigger threat.

Doubt it will change my flying strongly, but it is something what people asked for ages: end the "perkmagnets syndrom", make icon system more logic.

May be ranges can be changed a bit etc., but generally idea is very productive.

Offline Spongebob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2005, 08:22:05 AM »
I like the new icon system. I think in the balance it's an improvement. Those that dislike it have their points, yet I think the positive outweighs the negative.

Quote by JB42:
Anyone that can't tell a D series and an a series 190 on appearence alone, is probably someone you don't have to worry about losing a fight to.

JB42, when I fought you Friday night I couldn't tell what kind of FW you were flying by the sound and don't remember what your icon said up close. Actually, I spend what little processing power my brain has during a fight on tactics, anticipation, SA, and riding the edge in my own plane. Ya, sometimes I notice the little things, but not usually. If you remember, we still had a very good fight. Now this is just my take and I may be in the minority.

BTW, all taunting aside, you JBs were tons of fun in those fights we had last night:aok looking forward to doing it again. I'll be calling you guys out when next I'm in the arena.

Magoo

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2005, 08:59:20 AM »
Originally posted by storch
That's exactly right, if you listen carefully engine sounds are distinguishably different.

Is this why in all the WWII movies and pictures.... the pilots are leaning out of their cockpits... trying to hear the other guy's engine?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2005, 09:03:57 AM »
Much hand wringing and nashing of teeth .. I LOVE IT !!!

OMFG .. this new icon system is going to cause me to DIE !!!!!!!

I don't give a rats *** what plane your in ... you wanna dance then were gonna dance.

I doubt very strongly, in the past, that most tried to ident their quarry within D400 and then decide to run or play.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2005, 09:07:06 AM »
Actually, I spend what little processing power my brain has during a fight on tactics, anticipation, SA, and riding the edge in my own plane. Ya, sometimes I notice the little things, but not usually.

So very true ... I'll bet that 99.99% of the populatuion fall into this descrition of what transpires during a fight. This change just gives those who like to piss and moan about change more fuel for their fire.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

storch

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2005, 09:09:15 AM »
Originally posted by 4510
Is this why in all the WWII movies and pictures.... the pilots are leaning out of their cockpits... trying to hear the other guy's engine?

maybe they are all looking to see if you are around in your mean,evil and nasty 110.  Yup, I'm sure of it.  it's your fault and they all hate you.  :D  Especially Errol Flynn, he hates you the most cuz you stole his 12 yr old GF.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2005, 09:15:19 AM »
I like the new icon, but i noticed a Typhoon closing fast  in my 6 last evening, that changed in Tempest , that was bad surprise,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 09:18:25 AM by ghi »

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2005, 09:22:51 AM »
I think the new icon system is ok.

They could even go futher, so that from 2.0k to 6.0k there is NO info on what kind of plane you are dealing with. Just a red icon.

It would be fun with an arena where there were no icons for the enemy.

There should always be icons for friendly planes, to compensate the lack off communication / HQ / command.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »
it just tells you if it is worth it to chase that particular luftwussie plane or let it go.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Those that fight know what I am talking about. Maybe Stang can explain it to you...

?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Spongebob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2005, 09:59:54 AM »
One things for sure, your gonna see people flying the perk planes more.

Magoo