Author Topic: I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings  (Read 11402 times)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2005, 10:23:06 AM »
Originally posted by 6GunUSMC
a little timidity the 190 icon can cause IS an advantage in a slow battlewagon like the A8.  Mark my words, this WILL change the choice of planes used in this game.  I used to Fly G6's, no more... it will be G10s, I will now probably be in a Dora most of the time. Many months ago I flew the Hurri1 a lot, I surely wouldnt pull that stunt now!!   This 'brainy' idea will push everyone to later war planes

I fail to see how this will happen... I thought the majority was already in late war planes.  

If anyone feels forced to fly a late war plane, then they're not exactly thinking this through and showing their confidence right there.  It can pose some new challenges, but this isn't string theory or quantum mechanics.
\
Like someone already mentioned in this thread or another:

-AH1 - no skins - Ability to "disguise" yourself as a G10 when actually in a F4 due to the similar paintschemes.

-AH2 - skins - You have to discern by plane performance, or memorize the skins.

-AH2 present - Tags - Yeah, a little easier.  But again I think the aim was to throw out some ambiguity at long ranges.

This won't change a thing for me.  If I'm in a P40, I'm in a P40, I haven't lost any huge advantage.  Hell, advantage and P40 do not belong in the same sentence.  It's just a challenge that I enjoy.  Personally I'd like "families" or more generic groups at long range like Pongo suggested.  "Macchi, 109, Corsair, etc"
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Nuke33

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »
Originally posted by Spongebob
One things for sure, your gonna see people flying the perk planes more.

Magoo

This topic was brought up a while back, and I think the consensus was that they wanted the icons to change for perk planes only.. I think this would be a little less annoying and would be helpful to those of us that like to fly perk planes like the Tempest or Spit14, or F4U4.. The changing Icons for EVERY plane is unnecessary in my opinion..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 10:56:39 AM by Nuke33 »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2005, 10:59:59 AM »
sounds to me like the only people who find it to be a bad thing are those who are ashamed of the planes they fly or want every tiny little unfair advantage they can get.

lazs

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stone
I think the new icon system is ok.

They could even go futher, so that from 2.0k to 6.0k there is NO info on what kind of plane you are dealing with. Just a red icon.

It would be fun with an arena where there were no icons for the enemy.

There should always be icons for friendly planes, to compensate the lack off communication / HQ / command.

If only this came to pass!!! And make it icons are from 4k out only for all planes!!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2005, 12:18:24 PM »
Anyone seen a real difference yet? I disabled my skins well before they were removed ( i was having some vid card-texture issues), and was getting a bit better at identifying subtypes. However, by the time I can say definitively what the subtype is, its too late to back out- Hurricane ain't goin' nowhere in a hurry. That part has not changed for me with the new icon.

In a furball, if you have plenty of time to icon shop and pick your targets, you've got too many friendlies around- go home.

For the 109s, its easy- the 109 that easily turned inside you is the E, the 1 that just rocketed past you and augered is a G, the 1 that did a bit of each is the F. :D

I make no claims to being a great pilot in here, but I will continue to fly what I've always flown, and so will most other folks.
For those of you who didn't read Slap's sig line, here's humble's take on the matter:

Those of you who are "plane dependent" will always worry about what the other guy is in...the rest of us just worry about WHO the other guy is.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.

cheers,
hub
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2005, 12:38:58 PM »
Why not go one step further? Except for bombers/formations, who can really tell what plane type it is anyways? Let the icon just be red country icon or --- until its 3k away adding the plane type for the initial contact, then add the subtype when within 1000 yards. After initial contact the Icon would remain plane type to 6k. Icons have way too much distance already anyways.

The CT already does this for icon range at 3k.

Another option is not unlike the icon settings in WW2OL. The Icon gradually faded in as the plane became closer.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »
Originally posted by Black Sheep

The CT already does this for icon range at 3k.

Ant the CT blows chunks the size of basketballs IMHO. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
?

-- Todd/Leviathn

I was replying to the two that felt obligated to share their 'skills' and knowledge about 'how to fight'. I wasn't replying to you.

I have flown with Stang early on in past events. He has seen how I fly and I have seen him. IIRC he was with us in 109Es when our 10 guys had 60 of the 68 axis kills in a frame with like only 2 losses.

The non-sense as stated by the 412th fella has no bearing on the points I made previously.

If he's in the same squad as his name sake I have met them plenty of times over the years and the only one that was really worth a crap was Xquat (or whatever his nik was).

As an example of why I know this I will offer a couple of past run is with them.

I remember one event where Urchin, Leitwolf and I were at 3k in A-5s and their mustangs came in high (beyond 6k icon range) and circled around for 20 minutes before trying to implement their 'master planning'. We shot them all down with out a loss.

Or another time when Scot and I and a few others met their P-51s while in G-6s. Again we shot them all down. I remember tango running on the deck stick stirring like crazy to get away.

So when folks like that try sell me on 'how to do it' it's to good to let it go. I am not saying this as if I am great, I got shot down plenty from new guys to old pro's, but in the interest of 'keeping it real' not every one who can type a sentence should be considered  a decent source of information.

My opinion about the icon change is that it may impact the early aircraft. I don't need a 'lesson' on 'planning'. If it has no impact on some folks then, so what? That has nothing to do with my replies.

If the game is just as fun as it always was then great...

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2005, 04:31:55 PM »
Wotan - You are just a tool.  You're animosity towards the 412th or anyone else on this thread/board is pretty short-sighted. But please continue to bash in areas you have absolutely no knowledge...Yet again, you show your true colors. :rolleyes:

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2005, 04:36:37 PM »
Didn't we already cover this?

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
I have absolutely nothing to contriubte to this thread so am just gonna say.

Oh... Oh.. Oh.. Oh... Hammah time!

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2005, 05:17:35 PM »
Well , I don't care  how icons works , as long as it is consistent for everyone - ie all planes , which it is now , and it wasn't before.

The only people I can see as being negaitively effected would be 109 pilots as the variants had  great diversity in performance.  

The 190's all basically fly the same way anyway - so there's not much impact there.

At least it will be nice to fly a -4 now without the silly icon.

So it's level playing field now
I come from a land downunder

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2005, 05:23:58 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
sounds to me like the only people who find it to be a bad thing are those who are ashamed of the planes they fly or want every tiny little unfair advantage they can get.

lazs

As usual, Lazs is exactly correct.

It's all about losing the advantage of the other guy not knowing what you are flying until he commits to fight.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »
The only planes this really effects are the 109s.  You'll see the G2/G6/F4 dissapear, the G10 will pick up most of their kills.  One of the only reasons to fly the earlier planes was to "trick" people into turning with you (well, trick planes like runstangs, P47s, etc).

The spit 5 and 9 are identical with nearly identical performance anyway, so I don't see how it hurts or helps either one there.  

The really early war planes don't need a special "gangbang" tag... generally people will go after whatever the easiest kill is.  Since the early-war planes are slower and typically lower than the other planes, they get gangbanged anyway, the tag isn't going to make any difference.  

Nice for the Spit 14 and F4U4 though, the 152 didn't get the "190" treatment from what I understand.  Not that it would matter.. about the only difference is people might mistake it for the generally superior D9.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2005, 06:48:28 PM »
I think that was the wrond decision Instead they should have done the opposite and made all icons generic airframes. so perks are hidden .. like 152 as 190   spitIV  as spit ect..

With custom skins after a month of flying its easy to associate each skin with the proper model.

time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 06:51:20 PM by SunKing »