Author Topic: For the knowledgeable Mr.Guppy  (Read 617 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
For the knowledgeable Mr.Guppy
« on: February 20, 2005, 05:56:13 AM »
I have a book called 'battles with the luftwaffe' by janes.. on page 141 there are a series of pictures taken from the gunner on a me410 of mustangs closing in for the kill, it is labelled as 328th FS, 352nd FG....

The paint markings on them are very strange, appears (from the black and white photo) that the wingtips, to about 1/2 way into the wing, are dark (maybe green) inner of that it looks silver, the nose of the a/c looks dark again, rear of fuselage looks silver with a dark tail with maybe silver stripes on either horizontal stabiliser?

Was wondering if you could shed any light on this paint scheme, looks very odd in the photo's, might just be the angle they are taken at.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: For the knowledgeable Mr.Guppy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 12:33:10 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
I have a book called 'battles with the luftwaffe' by janes.. on page 141 there are a series of pictures taken from the gunner on a me410 of mustangs closing in for the kill, it is labelled as 328th FS, 352nd FG....

The paint markings on them are very strange, appears (from the black and white photo) that the wingtips, to about 1/2 way into the wing, are dark (maybe green) inner of that it looks silver, the nose of the a/c looks dark again, rear of fuselage looks silver with a dark tail with maybe silver stripes on either horizontal stabiliser?

Was wondering if you could shed any light on this paint scheme, looks very odd in the photo's, might just be the angle they are taken at.

Any chance of scanning the image?  Doesn't ring a bell at all.  352nd of course were the blue nosers, but they weren't big into fancy paint on wings and such.

Wish I had an answer but seeing the photo would probably clear it up.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »
dont have a scanner, took pictures of the pictures with my digital camera.  the pics themselves in the book are grainy, enlarged the image size: -

-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »
If I was a betting man, I'd say they were OD/Gray P51Bs with Invasion Stripes.  It appears they have Malcom hoods, which fits for many of the 352nd birds.  It also appears they have the white horizontal tail stripes that would be on a OD model from that time.

And the lighter color areas fit with the placement of D-Day stripes.

THe other possiblity to me is that the light areas on the wing and fuselage are where the D-Day stripes were overpainted and the reflection from the light is reacting differently compared to the darker areas.

But based on the images you posted I'd bet they're invasion striped OD P51s like the two images included here.  Note the white stripe on the tail and the placement of invasion stripes compared to your images.

Gonna have to get that book :)

Dan/Slack

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »
i think you are right, thanks!!

its a great book, just absolutely full of pilot quotes and pictures.  I highly recommend it.

ISBN is 0-00-711363-3 if it helps.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007113633/qid%3D1109096489/026-0119257-8545218

here it is on amazon
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --