Author Topic: Need a tank primer  (Read 562 times)

Offline DizzyJoe

• Zinc Member
Need a tank primer
« on: May 28, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi there.  I started AH yesterday and thought it would be cool to drive a tank.  So I took one up to an enemy base under attack and let loose on a hangar.  Nothing happened.  No hole, not even a scratch.  I aimed at the tower.  Same deal.  I fired on something else at almost point-blank range.  Still nothing.  I then switched to something called "HE" (from "AP") and still nothing.  Are buildings impervious to tank fire or am I doing something wrong?  Or does it take a whole lot of rounds to destroy one of these things?  A link to some sort of tank primer would be much appreciated!

One other small thing.  When I'm in a bomber and hit the bombsight key, I don't get a bombsight.  In the B-17 I get a look at some kind of funky contraption, and in the Ju88 I just see the right side of the cockpit.  I was expecting to see a circle with a bombing recticle.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Much!
DJ

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Need a tank primer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
For a bombsight you must use bombardier view! You do that by pressing F6. To bring up a targeting croshair you must press and hold the numlock 0 key. In this view you can zoom in and out and you can steer the plane left and right using your rudder pedals or Z axis on the joystick.

About the GV atacks on the structures: Basicaly you must use HE (High Explosive) shells. AAA turrets are 1 shot - 1 kill but when you want to kill something biger then for example fuel tanks take about 4 HE shots from PANZER and Hangars are much much harder to kill with GVs (to kill an Aircraft hangar takes 3000lbs of air dropped GP bombs so you can imagine for yourself).

Hope this explanation helps you at least a bit  

------------------
MBirdCZ
CO of Sudden Death Squadron

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Need a tank primer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2001, 01:39:00 AM »
If you're going to blast hangars use HE shells like MadBird said. It takes a LONG time to blow a hangar down using a single panzer. Something like 20+ HE rounds per hangar, and since there's at least 6-7 hangars at a field it would take too long to pull off.

My Target/Ord List has a complete list of what it takes to blow up what. Right now it's set for bombs, but I'm trying to set up some type of user-interface so you can get the vaules in whatever ord type you want. It'll take a bit to work out, but I'll get it done.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline DizzyJoe

• Zinc Member
Need a tank primer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Thank you!  It would've taken a good long while to figure all that stuff out on my own!