Author Topic: A few newbie questions  (Read 437 times)

Beltfedd

A few newbie questions
« on: March 13, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I have a few questions for you all:

1)  How do you give someone the "Check 6" message?  I hope you don't have to type it, but will do it to save my rook buddies if I have too  .

2)  Is there a padlock view in this game?  It's rough using the hat to follow a bandit through a turn fight, but if everyone else has to do it too, not a big deal then.

3)  Does all ordanance damage all targets?  That is, if I had enough 7.92 mm rounds in a gun, could I theoretically take down a hangar or cruiser with it?  

4)  Are collisions possible?  Never had one for some reason if they are (ok, maybe with the ground.. )

5)  Do changing gun loadouts really have that much affect on performance?  Not talking about under-wing mounts so much, but let's say switching from 20mm in c205 to the 12.7mm, is it a noticable performance improvement?

6)  Am I going to lose my girlfriend and most of my social life to this game?  Will I soon be wandering around the downtown area of my city with a glazed-look in my eye blathering about ammo loadouts and engine cowlings??

In all seriousness, thanks for all the help in game and out guys, this game/communtity is a blast  .

Belt

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
A few newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
1.  If you had the game installed prior to 1.06, you will have to map the key to the "check6" function.  Once you do that, just hit it when the guy you want to give a call to is in the screen.  You'll see a green box around him.  Keep hitting the button and the box will cycle until you get to the guy you want.  After you stop cycling, the call will go out 1 sec later.

2.  Yes there is.  Head over to www.hitechcreations.com  and hit the Help section.  There is a section there explaining the padlock view.

3.  All ordincance has the potential to damage all targets, but armor and such means it doesn't.  IE, you can rattle 7.92 off of a Panzer all friggin day and all you'll do is give the crew a headache.  However, some things, like straffing ack with machine guns works just fine.  Use your common sense.  Do you think you could take down a ship with 7.92 mm?  Of course not.  

4.  Yes collisiions are possible.  If you hit something with your right wing, it will likely get ripped off.  Because of net lag, remember that you can hit another plane, while on his FE he avoided you.  That means you can die in a collision and he'll have no damage.  You get damage if you hit things on your FE, and you get appropriate damage, you don't just explode.

5.  Depends on the gun loadout.  Going from 8 .50's to 6 .50's on in a Jug makes it lighter, but not by very much and it's a tiny increase in climb and acceleration.  On the flip side, bolting underwing gondolas on a 109 can seriously impare it's performance.  Weight from guns, ammo, and fuel (as it burns) is all modeled very well in AH, so it all counts.  It's up to you to decide which options are "worth it".  

6.  Yes.  

Feel free to email me anytime at sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca if you have any questions or would like to set up some training.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
A few newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by Beltfedd:
Hey guys,

I have a few questions for you all:

1)  How do you give someone the "Check 6" message?  I hope you don't have to type it, but will do it to save my rook buddies if I have too    (Image removed from quote.).

Set up a keyboard command for it under set-up, then just get the person in your current view, and hit the key assigned for the CHECK SIX queue

2)  Is there a padlock view in this game?  It's rough using the hat to follow a bandit through a turn fight, but if everyone else has to do it too, not a big deal then.

There is, but it only highlites the con as long as it stays in your current view.  Its much better to learn to fly using ACM rather than rely on the computer to track it for you.

3)  Does all ordanance damage all targets?  That is, if I had enough 7.92 mm rounds in a gun, could I theoretically take down a hangar or cruiser with it?  

Depends how much damage has been done to the target.  Also, all targets have a different damage modifier..ie. Hangars require about 3000 lbs of bombs, VH's require 2000, so, theoretically you could strafe the hangar dead, but it would take you about 4 full aircraft of 7.9mm to do it!

4)  Are collisions possible?  Never had one for some reason if they are (ok, maybe with the ground.. )

In the main arena, only with enemy A/C

5)  Do changing gun loadouts really have that much affect on performance?  Not talking about under-wing mounts so much, but let's say switching from 20mm in c205 to the 12.7mm, is it a noticable performance improvement?

I'm sure someone who's flown a particular A/C long enough might detect a slight edge, but more than not its most likely the damage to the other plane they would notice.  I've noticed a small boost in performance from a 6pak to a 4pak in the P51D.

6)  Am I going to lose my girlfriend and most of my social life to this game?  Will I soon be wandering around the downtown area of my city with a glazed-look in my eye blathering about ammo loadouts and engine cowlings??

Yes, as an online simmer since 1989, yes, yes yes!

In all seriousness, thanks for all the help in game and out guys, this game/communtity is a blast    (Image removed from quote.).

Belt

Welcome! and be sure to fly Knits!  

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-13-2001).]

Offline gospel

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.ropescourse.org/flying.htm
A few newbie questions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
"6) Am I going to lose my girlfriend and most of my social life to this game? Will I soon be wandering around the downtown area of my city with a glazed-look in my eye blathering about ammo loadouts and engine cowlings??"

LOL, Yup, welcome to the club, Beltfedd!  

gospel
CO 332nd flying mongrels