Author Topic: Open channel whining...  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Open channel whining...
« on: February 07, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »
...please give this a rest.  If you think the game is not working or not modelled correctly, by all means post it up here, but while in the arena please give the rest of us a bloody break and die with some dignity.  At times the scrolling of excuses and accusations makes the game itself a chore.

Fatty

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2000, 10:22:00 PM »
Yup. Well said.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Open channel whining...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2000, 11:44:00 PM »
Yep, tonight I was flying along in my G10, when another G10 bounced me from a higher altitude. I throttled back and started to do a scissors to bleed as much energy as I could to force an overshoot. Watching in my rear view he gets closer and passes me. He still had energy, but curiously doesn't opt for the alt grab/regroup. He goes into a flat right turn back to me. Because of this E bleeding move I was able to put my cannon on him in the middle of his turn.

WOW! I was ready to give a "Great Fight ****!" on channel 1, when I see "nice warp hblair!", "ya warp from my 12 to my 6!".

I might lose my temper on occasion flying these simms, but one thing you won't see me do is squeak like a kid because someone outflew me. There won't be any excuses, *warping* and horsesh*t like that.

Take it on the chin like a man, then shut up and replane.

------------------
   hblair

JG77 WB's Historical Arena & Events

The ASSASSINS WB's Main Arena, ACA, & Aces High

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-07-2000).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
Er, um, please don't take the new topic I just started as a whine.  (There is no excuse for my poor SA skills.   )  I really do think I'm having a small problem right now.  I landed dozens of cannon rnds from a 205 right into 2 seperate planes with ABSOLUTELY no damage whatsoever.

(BTW:  I agree with you, I usually just give a " and good fight" and get on with it.  Can't go back and do it again anyway.)

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS
>

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2000, 11:58:00 PM »
I also dislike whining on open channel...I find that a lot of smiley faces in my responses usually dissolve the issue.

Just play the game I say  ...somethings you can't do anything about online..unless some of the HTC guys are on.

Also if you have to whine to someone, take it on private - noone else wants to hear it  ..here's the command incase you didn't know:

.radio 2 callsign

Especially if you have something to say to me  .

Ex.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Open channel whining...
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2000, 01:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by bloom25:
Er, um, please don't take the new topic I just started as a whine.  (There is no excuse for my poor SA skills.   )  I really do think I'm having a small problem right now.  I landed dozens of cannon rnds from a 205 right into 2 seperate planes with ABSOLUTELY no damage whatsoever.

(BTW:  I agree with you, I usually just give a " and good fight" and get on with it.  Can't go back and do it again anyway.)

bloom25
THUNDERBIRD
S

That's my point Bloom, you see a problem from your end and you post about it on the boards, better for all concerned (This aside from the fact it didn't look like whining to me).  By the way I *think* that was me since I didn't see any other 205s and was a spit over 24 at the time, fyi my FE didn't get any pings if you were seening sparks at your end.

Fatty

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2000, 03:00:00 AM »
Thank you Fatty for not taking my post as a whine, as it was not my intention.  I was having a (IMO serious) problem, and was only trying to find a solution.  IMO your post shows class and I thank you for it.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Open channel whining...
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2000, 03:17:00 AM »
CC, it would also be nice not to see any swear words....IMHO you are there to shoot someone, and to be shot at. No need to insult someone when he shoots at you....otherwise, go play Pokemon...

PS : Ehem...I sometimes do use rough words myself, when a W***er choots my chute...but that is for another thread

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
BISHOP'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2000, 04:04:00 AM »
ROFL, Pokemon    (I saw someone with the handle of Pikachu back in tour 2, so be careful what you ask for.  Soon all of our prized sheep may turn into little monsters that we must fly around and take pictures of.   )

As for the chute shooting, enable our pistol after bailing and I guarantee it won't happen so much.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2000, 05:56:00 AM »
We need to be able to turn off radio channels that we don't want to "hear", including (especially) the open channel.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2000, 07:35:00 AM »
 Unfortunately Fatty it'll never ALL go away.
 It should diminish greatly on pay-to-play day but even then there will be some folks who will still find they have a captive audience and they'll piss and moan just to here themselves talk. And they'll claim that since they pay thier entitled to complain. (sure they are. Do it on fruckin email though !)  Squelching them is the best you can do, barring having the ability to untune the common channel as Popeye mentioned.   Use the squelch/ignore command and save yourself some hairs.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 02-08-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Open channel whining...
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2000, 08:34:00 AM »

As for the chute shooting, enable our pistol after bailing and I guarantee it won't happen so much.

I always wondered: can you actually shoot down planes with the pistol in WarBirds? Aces High pilots get a carbine though, even better!  

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
I disagree with hblair. If the guy saw you warp at a very convient time, and said just that, that is not squeaking.
You are being magnamios(sp) in victory he is dissapointed in a defeat he feels is unfair but that was broadcast to the whole comunity.
I would likley point out to you that you appeared to warp over open channel. If it was a long fight and you did it every time I got a solution on you (has happend with to me several times) I would probably anounce that you are probably cheating.
If you are really magnaminous(sp) and innocent you will say (sorry ill relog) if not you will probably sceam "quite wining" and carry on a tirad about the evils of main channel wining for several miniutes. These tirads get as long as the usual 10 miniute monologs that follow someone compaining about chute shooters.
One post to vent about something is not a problem it is the ongoing babble that we sometimes get locked into that are inappropriate.
Just my opinion.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Open channel whining...
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »

If it was a long fight and you did it every time I got a solution on you (has happend with to me several times) I would probably anounce that you are probably cheating.

Think about what you just said.

If you are watching me, how do you know your beacon wasn't going bad?

Do you even know that there are two distance markers from a plane where you will see a slight to bad warp practically every time? (One of them is around d4, the other is further out)

Did you know this is part of the game that hasn't been worked out yet?

I believe I remember pyro talking about it in a thread.

Other than the key command "cheat" that amazinhunks used in WB's occasionally (would just freeze your position for up to minute), I know of no other "cheats". And when this is done all you had to do was grab alt over their last seen position and wait for them. Wasn't really an advantage at all.

"Cheating" aint quite as simple as some of you guys think.

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-08-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Open channel whining...
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
I have thought about it hblair. I dont think that you have seen someone do this yet, it is unmistakable. I have seen the normal warping as targets approach, lots of micro warps etc...But there is a way to defensivly warp in this game...I thought everyone knew that....I dont know how to do it but it is some form or style of stick stirring no doubt..
Most people are here to have fun, so it is very rare. I have seen it maybe 2 times in the last month. One of the times I had caught a B26 over 23 with a F4U1c.. Every time I got the guy in the sights....zoom. Looked just like stick stiring to watch, but less plane wobble. Of course probeabley very hard to do and defensive fire the guns...Didnt help this guy. But by the 3rd time I had solution on him and he did it it was obvios that he was doing it on purpose.
After I killed him I congratulated him on his excellent warping techniqe he addmitted over open chanel that it was intentional.
That was it...My statement his addmission and then he went on to accuse HT of warping...
  I aggree with you about long drawn out snivles on the open channel. I did it ounce and wrecked the night for me and probabley others so I really avoid it now. But one little note to someone about warp will either help them to fix it or let them know that they are not kidding anybody.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew