Author Topic: Air to Air rockets.  (Read 555 times)

Offline Fidd

• Copper Member
Air to Air rockets.
« on: March 14, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
I can't hit the broad side of a barn with these! I regularly fly the G-10 armed with these and fire em off with a pious prayer that I may at least frighten the nme aircraft, however, most people just laugh!

Could someone help me with the icon range at which I should fire them, and preferably post a screenshot showing where my gunsight should be assuming a level shot?

MTIA, Fidd

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
Maybe some of the LW guys here can help, but I can tell you that historically, they were very unstable and inaccurate, basically an infantry mortar round fitted to the A/C for scaring the b-jesus outta allied bomber formations, and this sim tries to replicate WW2 munitions, A/C, etc..so, I'm guessing what you're experiencing is 'historical'.

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
S!

Ripsnort was right there.They weren't the most accurate rockets.The effect was based on the amount of them fired towards the tight formation of the bombers.Here in AH You see 1 or maybe 3 bombers at time,so deplying these weapons is much harder and hits more rare.

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
 Fidd, I've only nailed someone once with those rockets, And it was accidentl too  

But to be honest I never tried to become good with them. IF you se me online holler out and I'll test these out with you by flying a bomber that you can try and hit.

-Westy

Offline Fidd

• Copper Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Thanks Westy, you fly your Ar234 low and slow and I'll fire rockets at you. Hehe, sounds like fun! "Kill Westy!" ;-)

Fidd ;-)

Originally posted by Westy:
Fidd, I've only nailed someone once with those rockets, And it was accidentl too  

But to be honest I never tried to become good with them. IF you se me online holler out and I'll test these out with you by flying a bomber that you can try and hit.

-Westy

SwampRat

Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »
I've played around with those rockets a little.  Yet to have figured out if the "Delay" setting has anything to do with them or not (was told it did in an off the cuff manner).  Anyway, I think I may have pinged and opposing A/C once or twice, not sure.  It's my assumption that they are in no way meant to strike an aircraft but rather explode somewhere in the vicinity.  The only close to accurate advice I can give you is fire them level when <1k behind a buff or appx 2.5 to 3k when going head-on with another fiter.  

Hopefully someone has this down pat and is willing to share some good info on it, I could sure use it.

SwampRat

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Use 'um as guns.

Fly high 1-2 frontal attack, fire at d200.

One ping wonder  .

I find them more or less useless as the extra drag slows ya down. Guns work fine  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
lol Fidd  

And I'll have to "pass" on using a perk point bomber :P

-Westy

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
If you fire them at d200, they kill you if they hit anything. Once I pinged a bomber with one only to be destroyed in the 'explosion?'. The hit was the same hit sprite as guns and pretty unrewarding. Not sure if it even did any damage...

Servo

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
HT mentinoed they are now timed to explode at a range of about 1.2k

SKurj

bahlooo

Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
Well, I remember setting up a pass on a low B17 inbound for one of our bases, only to be beaten to the punch by an F4 I think, who just flew in HO and fired a few rockets.

The B17 disintigrated, just like that. A great sight. I imagine it takes some practice to figure out how to pull that off though.

Lepton

Air to Air rockets.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
For what it's worth, the "delay" setting only effects how quickly the next rocket is launched if you have your "salvo" setting above 1. Usually I just leave the salvo at one and pickle off the rockets manually.

I've had miserable luck with rockets as an air-to-air weapon, but better luck with them against ground targets.