Author Topic: Don't move your controls so rapidly  (Read 369 times)

Offline Fastbikkel

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/fastbikkel
Don't move your controls so rapidly
« on: May 29, 2001, 09:30:00 AM »
S! to you all,

I love AH and i would like to keep loving it.
However i have a problem with my Force Feedback joystick.
The problem is in the rudder. Whenever i apply full rudder there is no problem at all.

But as soon as i apply less than full, i get this annoying message after a second or two.
I have lost several battles because of this.
I cant evade too fast, because i am afraid this damn message appears again.

When i use my precision pro joystick, every rudder movement is ok. But on my MS Force feedback, the rudder moves on and off. I mean, when i apply rudder, the rudder goes from neutral to the left (or right) and back. This keeps repeating itself until i get this damned message again and i loose my battle.
Only when i apply full rudder, it keeps where is it pointing.
It looks as if i am using an old arcade joystick with on or off signals.

I don't wanna hear anything about setting my deadzone. Deadzone is no solution. Deadzone should be as small as possible.

It also seems to me that this message has been put in AH since patch 1.04 or so. It hasn't been here before or the game was not that spoiled.

This must be a real programmed thing, i cant imagine that a ww2 plane has a built in device saying that you are moving your controls too rapidly   LOL. Or something else.

I fly soaring planes in real life and if i move my stick too rapidly the plane does not respond immediately, it wobbles a bit or stalls. That's it, i get control back instantly.
Now, i know this plane does not have an engine, but i think a enginedriven plane has about the same result.

Hope your guys can give me some advice on how to solve my joystick problem. Or else i have to keep using my precision pro, without FF and that would be a shame, cause i realy like feeling my guns rattling as (IF) i waste my target.

Greetings guys,

JG5FaBi.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
This has been here since AH started.  It is part of a "stick stirring code" to keep ppl from rapidly moving the control surfaces to cause timely warps  to spoil a shooting solution.  It sounds like your Force Feedback stick is spiking during rudder input.  Adding Deadband and dampening in your jstick setup should fix the problem.
Unfortunately with internet connections and the lag created by them this is a valid fix by HTC to keep us honest.

S!
Rocket
Aces High Training Corp.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
Hi, the reason the code was implemented was to keep folks from "gaming the game" so to speak. Players, welll some players, would intentionallly "stir the joystick" when someone would be in a position to attack them. Their AC would do incredible manuevers, not realistic but would allow them to evade nonetheless. SOoo HTC implemented this code to prevent that. Now how to fix it. First I would insure you have the best drivers for your Gaming gear, also contact the manufacturer to make sure they are completely compatible (even posting that info in the hardware forum would be a good start). Then make sure you have the best driver for your sound card..unless you have a gaming card that is where your Joystick/rudders are plugged in. Thats all I got, many here no more than me.

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011