Author Topic: Optimum Zoom Climbs  (Read 414 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Optimum Zoom Climbs
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:55:00 PM »
A question for you AH veterans or aerospace experts out there.  

What are the methods that you employ to get the most altitude out of a zoom climb?  Some parameters to think about for you answers:
-Speed
-Steepness of climb
-Unloading during a climb
-G-loading during beginning of the climb

Planes to consider: FW-190, P-51, F4U, P-47
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Optimum Zoom Climbs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2001, 06:12:00 AM »
dtango,
I primarily fly the P-47. It has some good zoom climb capabilities but those need to be addressed with some caution. I.E. how close your opponent is and what kind of plane it is. The Zoom climb of course works best after a fast dive.

-Speed

I dive on an opponent as fast as I can get. It depends a lot on the amount of room you have to dive in as to the speed you attain, but I am generaly going over 450 mph when I reach him. The P-47 has good control at high speeds and that is a good tool when trying to loose someone also, many compress long before the 47 does.

-Steepness of climb

If I am diving on a bomber I make a steeper climb than if I am diving on something like a N1K, those guys can follow you fairly easily in your climb if it is too steep. I often will extend and make a very shallow, low g climb once he is behind me over D1.

-Unloading during a climb

As soon as possible I try to reduce the loading to the normal 1g, this of course helps retain your E.

-G-loading during beginning of the climb

This is target dependent. As I stated before it depends on the opponent's ability to zoom up after you. Of course if you find yourself close to the ground it would be wise not to run into it so use what is necessary   :).

Hope this answers your questions.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Optimum Zoom Climbs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2001, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks for tips on the P-47!  I didn't realize the 450+ kts aircraft control advantage that the P-47 vs. other a/c that compress.  I'll remember that next time I tangle with a Thud.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Optimum Zoom Climbs
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
It's also worth unloading the plane to 0G at the top of the climb (if there's no one right up your tail); you'll get an extra couple of hundred feet that way, and if you're smooth on the stick you can still roll the plane to track the bogey.