Author Topic: torq and lag warriors  (Read 760 times)

-towd_

torq and lag warriors
« on: February 09, 2000, 10:14:00 PM »
ok i had a conversation with torq online tonight and rather than saying so online and listening to the various wine blabing idiots,

here is my complaint there seem to be some pople who are gettin a advantage with the connect they have he has cable or isdn or some wide band. every nite he is online racking up huge numbers  of kills and i have over time gotenn used to it , but on closer inspection his techniq of killing is almost always the same wide turns till he makes ( what on my fe seems like a 20 g turn snap shot and kills ,i have seen him do ufo 230 deg turns in a 300 ft radious in a f4u) well a few nights ago we were fightin and i got him to go into a high stall in his hog and as im wachin him fall i get hits ,now on my fe he has been fallin 5 sec or so. i have a standard 56 k analog  but have an extremly stable connect (been thru 10 isps till i found this one isp has its own t3)  

i am not accusin him of cheatin i want to make that clear. i play alot and i notice this it makes me angry and i post , i honestly think it is somhow his send and recive speeds are asycronous and are givin him a adv and he thinks its normal,

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2000, 06:46:00 AM »
You need to film some of this towd, so we can really see what you mean.

I will say that Torque is a good pilot, and that is the reason he is racking up kills.

Also, his connect is only 1/2 of the equation remember.  Your lag counts in the equasion as well.  It may be the disparity in speeds that make things look a bit odd, but I can't imagine it's giving him any advantage.  The problem I have with fellows that are lagged out more than I am is I sometimes mis-judge their threat potential.  When a N1k driver pulls up under me, it sometimes looks like he won't be able to get his guns on me at all, but because of lag on his FE he makes the shot.  That's just a fact of life in online gaming, and we all have to learn to adjust our perceptions a bit to compensate for it.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2000, 06:57:00 AM »
Towd,

I co-alt merged with a Spit taking him on my left side alittle low. Immediately at the merge I pulled into a tight left turn to come around.  Arranged the view to watch, and this Spit seemed to bounce in midair and continue up to latch onto my 6. Not even 1/2 way through my turn! The incredible SuperSpit!!

Of course I got shot down!  Which I am totally able to accept!  

Please no lectures on lag time and all that. What I seen here was something else.  Maybe a lost and gained connection.  Who knows??

Maybe it was a fluke. One thing is for sure, I'll never forget the pilots name!  I got my eye on you!!!!  

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 02-10-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2000, 09:42:00 AM »
There may be a few guys with better connections then me I live in grapevine tx and get 46ms pings. I have seen some strange things one for instance a plane think it was a spit was shot down i followed it thinking it was only damaged it had no wings. After it hit the ground it started bouncing around I lined up and shot it down I got the kill not the guy that shot it down orginally. So strange thing do happen because of the net, they cant be helped at this time.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  Cherokee Indian
My Homepage
Where you can find the Key Commands in  files for Word6 Wordpad and text mode.

indians Homepage

Aces High Word6 and Wordpad Doc's available on my web site.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
Towd,  It seems there are disadvantages to having a bad connection AND having a really good connection.  Let me explain the way I see it from a very good fast connection, I’m on a T1 (full not frac) shared with less than 15 people, I’m in Dallas, TX which is about 30 miles or so from the server and less than 6 router hops.  I live downtown; my connection is very close to the main inet backbone (MAE-Dallas) that goes through Dallas.

Here’s my experiences, I’ll give you 2 examples:

I followed a Hog down to 200ft (I was in a spit), where I was slightly below him and had plenty of speed to catch him… I closed within 200 (yards?).. I had E and he did not.  I fired a few cannon shots.. ALL of them appeared to hit… the hog didn’t even turn he kept trying to outrun me as if he didn’t even hear the pings on his plane… I then closed to 150 and let go with guns and cannons and I poured everything I had into him (easily 75 rounds of each)… he try’s to make some turns but I quickly throttle back and stay on his six.  I’m thinking to myself this guy has got to be cheating!  I ending up making a final pass at this hog and fired 30 cannon shells and 110 bullets into him (lets just say only half of them hit him to be fair) and he flew along like nothing happened.    

I’m not a great pilot but a Hog without energy this low is something even a novice pilot could kill with a spitfire and E advantage.

Second experience:
Monday night (of this week) I caught a B17 alone I had a 2k alt advantage, I was in a Pony, full of fuel and ammo.  I took my time and slowly started to peck away on this buff.  The buff was returning fire and pinging me every once in a while but nothing vital was damaged.  I was taking my time and practicing on this buff (I’m fairly new to AH)... I could not believe he was not going down yet… I had about 300 rounds left..  I’m screaming “WTF”!!! and my wife thinks I’m going crazy.  My wife comes over and watches over my shoulder…I have her watch and tell me if it looks to her like I’m “hitting” the target.  I flew within 150 yards and dumped all the rest of the ammo I had directly into the Buff.   My wife agreed that the buff should have been sawed in half.

No Ammo now, the buff is smoking and a small part of the buffs wing looks to be missing but he’s still flying along like normal.
My oil was leaking so I knew I wouldn’t make it back to base so I attempted to ram the buff (I was very pissed by this point)…. I “appeared” to ram the buff.. I died, and the buff continued along.  I was denied a kill AGAIN! ARGH!

I was so pissed I didn’t play for several days after that.  Denied another kill either because a person was cheating, my connection is too good, OR their connection is too bad.  Either way you look at it, it sucks because I was denied a kill that “appeared” to be a kill to me.

I fire a 100 rounds into you on my screen and they all “appear” to hit…. While on your slow congested link you might only get hit by 5 rounds or so because the packets didn’t make it through.  While I hope that the crew at HiTech has some form of checking in their code to correct this.. I wouldn’t bet my money on it working correctly, at least not yet.  This does not happen often but it does make me think I need to hook up a really toejamty modem and see how it is.

Although I’m sure I’ll get some flames for this post…bring them on, I’m ready!

Mox

[This message has been edited by Mox (edited 02-10-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2000, 10:41:00 AM »
Like many others i've been on the recieving end of some outstanding moves by torque...He Hi-Tech Hangtime and a dozen others always seem to able to dig there way out from under me one way or another. I believe that at least 80% is skill...but I did post about my FE problems and one incident specifically involved torque. I do believe that ISP related issues do effect my enjoyment of the game sometimes. It's frustrating when your constantly racting to what your opponent did 2/10s of a second or more ago vs his FE view of you. I honestly believe that it makes angle fighting here much tougher vs what I was used to. The only thing I do miss about AW was the 'onscreen" utility for checking lag time. I'd appreciate an FAQ on trouble shooting your connects and proper use of ping commands etc...I know Fishu and others have responded tpo me with specific advice (which I've appreciated ery much) but a comprehensive guide would be great.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2000, 12:16:00 PM »
Mox,
All I want to know is how you get your wife to get involved like this with AH...

Let me know you secret!

------------------
Member of the Flying Elvis's...AH's most elite parachute team...

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
My wife is always looking offer my shoulder...rooting for the other guy  

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
Mox,

It sounds like you have the "rubber bullets" problem that a few others have reported.  This isn't the other guy cheating, it's a problem with your FE I believe.  Do you have V-synch disabled on your video card by any chance?  I'll bet you do.  If so, re-enable it.  I've heard of others running into this problem, and I can see why since it is your FE that is doing the hit detection.

In regards to other alleged funky behaviour, somebody please film it.  Until you do, nobody can really see what's going on.  If you film these things and some really funky toejam is evident on the film, then I'm sure HTC will look at it and take the appropriate action.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by Cobra:
Mox,
All I want to know is how you get your wife to get involved like this with AH...

Let me know you secret!

Well she does play some games.. she cannot fly but she can gun!  Some of you guys have been shot down by her.. =)

She likes the historical aspect of AH as a sim and not some arcade style game.  She likes the old planes and the markings.  I've taken her to several airshows and she even could tell you what fighter plane was up in the air if she saw it.  She's still learning the WWII planes but does watch the WWII related shows on the History channel with me.

Now if I could just get her to fly in AH like she drives my car in real life!  She's somewhat of a speed freak.

Mox

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by Lephturn:
Mox,

Do you have V-synch disabled on your video card by any chance?  I'll bet you do.

Yes I do have it disabled...  I'll switch it tonight and see if that helps.

I'm using a GeForce 256 DDR card.

Mox

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
torq and lag warriors
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Lephturn,
I enabled V-Synch and here were the surprising results…

I took a cannon hog up for a spin..

First engagement:
I had a deflection shot at about 500 and I saw 2 hit sprites… the 109 went down!

Second engagement:
Another deflection shot, 3-4 sprites and the 205 exploded in air. I’ve only seen a mid air explosion from my  gun hits a few times since I started playing AH.

Third engagement:
I caught Torque low and with out E as he was trying to extent from another fight.  I got a shot off on him and saw a hit sprite or 2 then smoke… he did not go down.  I soon realized that I was closing on him from behind way too fast, I started doing everything I could to slow down.  By this time I was on top of him less than 200ft away.. I could not bleed my speed fast enough.  By this time I knew Torgue saw me and me being  the inexperienced pilot I am I tried to slow down more instead of using my E and extending away from him… I’m sure I was a fairly easy target when he saw me because he just nosed up a little and fired and got the kill on me.

Torgue you will never see me make that mistake again!  It was a good kill and a good lesson learned for me.

Moral of the story here is that it DID seem to help.  I’ll know for sure after tonight.  

Thanks for that advice Lephturn!

Mox
The Wrecking Crew