Author Topic: Billing change idea  (Read 657 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Billing change idea
« on: February 22, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
With the announcement of WWIIOnline's 9.95 plan, and WarBirds 3 perhaps coming at some point this year, and Targetware coming out, I started wondering about AH's $30 flat rate.

I'm wondering how viable it would be to introduce per hour pricing, say $1/hr, up to a max rate of $29.95.   I suggest this not as a way to grab a bunch of new members, but to retain the ones we have.  Soon there are going to be a few more choices out there, and we only have so much free time.   People are going to have to decide whether its worth $30/month to stay in AH, when they might want to spend alot of their free time checking out WWII ONline or WB3.  With a per hour charge, they wouldn't be punished for not flying, so they wouldn't be tempted to cancel their accounts just to end up resubscribing later.   I know it sounds like a step backwards to go back to per hour pricing, but to casual flyers it might be an
important point in their decision to stay or go.

I figured AH implemented flat rate because it made the billing so easy - no need to keep track of time logged on.  Then I noticed in the expanded stats that time is already being tracked, so maybe its not so difficult a change.

TheWobble

Billing change idea
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
Dont start on the price, You will be cruicified.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Billing change idea
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
 If you have paid $30 for AH, you would think before going to try other sims extensively - after all you've paid a lot and the money would be wasted if you do not fly AH. You may not want to bother to cancel the account outright for a month, so you are going to fly a new sim less then if AH was $10. So their arena's would be empty and AH full.

That may not apply to you or some other people but it does apply to most. Why otherwise a paid membership is such a commonspread marketing scheme? Since I've paid $35 a year for the Costco, I am more inclined to go there to try to "recoupe " that money.

Of course I am sure WW2OL arena's will be full for in the begining anyway, but most people will be stupid to drop an established sim cold and switch to a bug-ridden new product. In a few months when the bugs are fixed and the most obvious balancing issues are resolved, the novelty factor will also be worn off and that is where pre-existing membership and arena numbers will matter.
 It seems that to be playable, WW2OL will need more people in the arena for longer time then AH or WB.

Also, a beautifull demo of WB3 was shown what, 2 1/2 years ago? And when is it coming out?

Save your arguments for when there is a competing release. Until then let's HTC get what money they can.

One full-year subscriber pays $360. Could they have more then 2,000 current subscribers? I seriously doubt it. Even that makes it just $720,000. How much do they spend for hadrware, maintenance, office rent, accounting services, etc.? May well be more than that. I bet that what the HTC team takes home as salary is way below market rates.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 02-22-2001).]

Pepino

Billing change idea
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
<dang, where is the beer when one so deeply need it?>

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Billing change idea
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
<S> Miko2d.  Well said.  I do believe AH is a very good product that is getting better with time.  

My idea is merely a suggestion rather than argument.  Of course I believe HT and crew should be well-paid for what they are accomplishing here.

I am, however, one of those pilots who split time between sims, and so at some point I'll probably have to make a decision which one to stay with.  Flat rate plans are a great benefit to those who fly extensively, but for
those who fly more casual hours I would guess a low-hourly rate would be a real draw.    I suggested a maximum cap so that you aren't punished for flying heavily occasionally.  To me it seems like the best compromise of flat-rate vs hourly price plans.

But of course if AH can't make a profit its no good.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Billing change idea
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
<S!>
 An hourly rate would be good for me, even at $3/hour. But it would be bad for the game.

There would be required a special system to keep track of the hours - software, database, billing programs. Dedicated support people to handle customer complaints. Lots of bad publicity from occasional accounting mishaps.

Most importantly, the gameplay will suffer immencely. Many people would not spend time planning missions or coordinating or waiting for a buddy if it cost them per minute.
 They would not fly smart or gain alt but would just go to the nearest furball. The rest would log off in disgust.
 Many would log off in an empty arena rather then fly there and waste money. How would then arenas fill up?
 Many with less then optimal connections would close accounts - it is much less frustrating to have a faulty connection if you are not paying by the minute.

Those are old points. Such discussions would be more relevant once at least one competitor ships, so let's wait.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 02-22-2001).]

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Billing change idea
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
Agreed!  CYA up!