Author Topic: X45 woes...please help.  (Read 331 times)

Offline OntosMk1

• Nickel Member
X45 woes...please help.
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:04:05 AM »
For some time now I've been a huge fan of HOTAS controls but really not wanting to shell out the HUGE amount of cash for the higher end ones. Saitek I thought was a good compromise BUT recently ive after owning an old X36 and now a X45 I've noticed a serious problem.

It would seem that the cable that run from the Stick to the throttle is getting crimped or is frayed within the insulation(Sp). Now since I've had my old X36 for sometime i kinda expected it but after purchasing an X45 I find myself facing the same problems as before only after a few months(3). Even after making sure that the cables where not chaffing against anything that could possible break a connection within the cable itself it still funked up.

Here is what it does so that you might be able to shed some light onto the situation for me. After plugging the X45 I'll sit the controllers on a flat surface. When moving the flight stick around the lights on the throttle will flicker and when flying my plane will jump around. I found that ANY movement of the cable that connects the throttle to the stick causes this "break" in power. Is there anyway i can fix this? Also, has anyone had similar problems with the newer X52. I noticed that the newer uses what looks like an S-video cable to link the throttle and stick.
TIGER, tiger, burning bright  
In the forests of the night,  
What immortal hand or eye  
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
X45 woes...please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:18:12 AM »
Hmmmmm....been using X45s since they came out I guess. Never had this problem and I figured I was one of the worst on sticks.
Curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Have you contacted Saitek directly concerning this?
I`ve found that they will bend over backwards to help customers out.
You might want to talk to some of the guys that have purchased the 52 before going that route. I`ve seen a lot of comments concerning the spring tension or lack thereof on the new stick. Most I have seen have stated that the tension on the stick spring is sorta lacking and has a floppy effect sort of lack the MS sticks. I think maybe this was done on purpose by Saitek after the whining from the limp wristers saying the 45 was too stiff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 12:24:26 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Re: X45 woes...please help.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 07:28:50 AM »
Originally posted by OntosMk1
For some time now I've been a huge fan of HOTAS controls but really not wanting to shell out the HUGE amount of cash for the higher end ones. Saitek I thought was a good compromise BUT recently ive after owning an old X36 and now a X45 I've noticed a serious problem.

It would seem that the cable that run from the Stick to the throttle is getting crimped or is frayed within the insulation(Sp). Now since I've had my old X36 for sometime i kinda expected it but after purchasing an X45 I find myself facing the same problems as before only after a few months(3). Even after making sure that the cables where not chaffing against anything that could possible break a connection within the cable itself it still funked up.

Here is what it does so that you might be able to shed some light onto the situation for me. After plugging the X45 I'll sit the controllers on a flat surface. When moving the flight stick around the lights on the throttle will flicker and when flying my plane will jump around. I found that ANY movement of the cable that connects the throttle to the stick causes this "break" in power. Is there anyway i can fix this? Also, has anyone had similar problems with the newer X52. I noticed that the newer uses what looks like an S-video cable to link the throttle and stick.

mine is doing this too, i just have to find a way to lay the cable on the desk, which reduces this. its REALLY annoying in a dogfight though, esp since those high G flicks in a 190/262 can totaly kill ya....

been doing it for about 4 months now, i just cant afford another stick, and well im pissed off that a £100 stick didnt last as long as a £20 one:mad:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X45 woes...please help.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:55:51 PM »
I've had 3 X45s die of shorted buttons and this one has that problem. Good thing I got a 2 year replacement deal from the BestBuy gods. :cool:
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.