Author Topic: Warning E-bay`rs  (Read 631 times)

Offline Blixen

• Silver Member
      • http://475thfg.bravehost.com/
Warning E-bay`rs
« on: March 05, 2005, 08:14:54 PM »
got an email stating my account suspened from pay pal.
it was in my hotmail account when i clicked on it mcafee
sprung into action saying blocked trojan their using paypal to gain info on bank accounts mail did say though i had to recomfirm my info bank,password etc
each time i clicked on mail blocks trojan so i thought i would warn u guys

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 10:58:48 PM »
Thanks, Blixen, some of the authentic looking posts can be really deceptive.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Blixen

• Silver Member
      • http://475thfg.bravehost.com/
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 11:57:38 PM »
np

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 03:24:35 AM »
hmm i sure hope i dont have this prob i have been using it alot lately and things have been fishy.

Offline nsty1

• Copper Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 05:05:37 AM »
Also,look out for one that says it needs to update your PayPal acct.

no such thing,only updates you may get are when you log on to your accct and even then,they are only updates on policies.

Offline Smiggyy

• Copper Member
Phishing
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 07:42:17 AM »
'Phishing' is all the rage at the moment.

They are also being received supposedly from banks aswell.

No institution, Bank, Ebay, PayPal or otherwise will email you to address security issues.

As stated before they will only come to light once you have successfully logged in using your registered username and password.

Bin em!

Smiggs.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 07:52:02 AM »
Been getting these for months now.

Yes they catch a certain percentage.

Wish there was some way to redirct it back where it came from.

Offline Leayme

• Copper Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 09:02:38 AM »
I remember being told about this by an institution, but have not done it, send  an email to the service provider (example: abuse@( insert provider name here) they will then deal with the problem.

Like I said, never tried this route, usually can trace the link/website they provide back to the server and then contact the ISP direct and let them deal with it.

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 09:31:28 AM »
I have earthlink and I get a ton of fraud e-mails,  mostly from people that have web pages that look like earthlinks and try to get info saying same type crap,  update or need new cc # , etc..,,  I turn all the stupid jerks in.

I also have the FBI web site that is for some types of fraud emails, and i have sent them some too. ( I have to look it up again after new hard drive install,  But,  its easy to find)  

They do say that they nail some of these wiener heads,  wished they would catch all the Bastages!!!!!!!   Like to send a return email to them w/virus attached!  hehe   SOB'z

Offline 68racer

• Zinc Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 10:19:13 AM »
I got one of those emails about a year ago.  It said my ebay account was going to be closed if i did'nt update my account.
So like a dummy I updated it.  They got my password to my account and started selling things in my name.  The way I found out is a guy called up and wanted to know where his dodge prowler was.  I got it all straightend out and had to change my ebay password.  Paypal are ebay will never ask for any info through an email.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 10:55:52 AM »
Hmm..lastnight I was sent an update that requested my DOB,address,SS#,telephone number,credit card numbers,bank info, and all pin numbers,what hours I work, what time my wife takes a shower, and where my kids goto school. I was like DAMN! Thats a lot of info! Took me like an hour to complete it! Whew!

~AoM~

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 11:51:32 AM »
DOLT!!!!!..............fell for it all ready.....got an email stating that someone was making false bids useing my accont on ebay and i needed to sign up for a more secure account....looked like an authentic ebay letter.....filled it out and watched my bank account shrink by 1,000 bucks....(smack)....i know...what a dummy but im sure im not the only one in the world:(
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 12:12:30 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Hmm..lastnight I was sent an update that requested my DOB,address,SS#,telephone number,credit card numbers,bank info, and all pin numbers,what hours I work, what time my wife takes a shower, and where my kids goto school. I was like DAMN! Thats a lot of info! Took me like an hour to complete it! Whew!

Yea, but don`t you feel so much better for your effort after it was done. Now you can rest assured everything is updated and on the up and up.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
One way you can always tell is when you click on the link that’s in those emails, it always has some oddball address or even just an IP. It’s never to the actual site they say they are from. Additionally, most every legit service or store on the web will never email you with a link to update account info. They will most usually just tell you to go to the main site and update your info. For example, a while back my credit card expired on ebay, and they were trying to bill me...They emailed telling me the problem but didnt give me a link. It just said to go to my account section and update it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:17:59 PM by BigR »

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Warning E-bay`rs
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 04:35:45 PM »
Originally posted by BigR
One way you can always tell is when you click on the link that’s in those emails, it always has some oddball address or even just an IP. It’s never to the actual site they say they are from.  

That is wrong. Sometimes they manage to get  http adresses that match the real one pretty close, newest is that they have the same address but a cyrillic letter in it.

So http://www.deutsche-bank.de got dubbed with http://www.duetsche-bank.de and similar stuff. Eaven if the address looks right it can still have letters from other fonts in it that direct you the wrong way.
In the incedant i mentioned it took something like 2 or 3 weeks till the wrong adress was deleted again.

PS: the names were an example... it was a german bank but i dont remember the letters, was next to impossible  to spot.