Author Topic: Discussion about objectionable skins  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Discussion about objectionable skins
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2005, 06:55:26 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Those of you playing the 'politically correct' card can stop now.  It has zero to do with PC.  I hate that term.  Everytime someone tries to do what may be construed as something decent they get tagged with it.
Just because you do not like the decision does not make it something that was done out of political reasons.  Sheesh. Believe it or not, there are people who could care less about politics and you are talking to one of them.  If you cannot see it from anyother perspective, then you are being very myopic.

Oboe, I have no problems at all with your work or the work of any of the skinners.  We have a social reality to deal with.  It is that simple.  Trying to make anything more than that is just a waste of energy.
All this thread is going to do is allow some people a chance to say something negative about HTC.  Not to mention the time I will have to waste on it.

The times, the tolerances, and the attitudes have changed since WW2.

I am done with this.

Skuzzy,
I think politically correct is sort of a vague term, and is used to cover a broad spectrum of topics. I don't think you should take it as a personal affront, I'm sure it was not intended as such.

I suppose I can understand the position HTC is in, and since I like the game I'll have to live with it. But that does not mean I have to like it. That is NOT a remark that is negative towards HTC, and I don't think anyone here is being negative towards HTC anyway, they're just expressing disdain for the current "social climate".

Honestly, it (the decision on the skins)ranks up there with the decision to take the lovely ladies off of the Snap On calenders. I understand it, but I hate to see anyone cave to "that pressure".

I guess when you consider that minor children play this game, it stands to reason that some might find certain noseart to be offensive.

However, I see the potential for a solution. Since there is an option to disable skins, why not simply add an option to disable certain skins?

We could have two classes of skins. One class that is universally acceptable. A second class that is "possibly offensive to some". You could have class 2 skins disabled by default, and it would be a user option to enable them. Call them "skins rated G" and "skins rated R", and the R rated skins are disabled by default, and a warning message could be made stating that you enable R rated historic skins at your own risk, and you may be offended by them. I realize it is an added amount of work for HTC, but maybe it's worth it. After all, to the hardcore long term player, it isn't just a game, it's history as well, and history we find important.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 06:58:40 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe