Author Topic: X36 USB Combo ... Problems??  (Read 550 times)

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
X36 USB Combo ... Problems??
« on: February 28, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »
I have noticed several negative remarks about the X36 USB Combo Joystick and was wondering what peoples opinion of this joystick are and what problems people have been experiencing.

I have been using this combo for the last month and have not had any real issues with it.  I am still waiting for better support through AH, but it is still a very versatile stick.

Thanx for any comments!

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2000, 04:10:00 PM »
Saitek has a horrendous and well-deserved reputation for the worst customer support ever seen in the peripheral market. I've use the X36 and loved the feel, but the pots were defective and customer support wasn't supportive.  

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks and mea culpa - I use the Cyborg 3d USB, not the X36 which I'm thinking of getting in the USB form. I have an original X36, and it's in a box somewhere <g>

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
I fly the combo and its actually a great stick nad throttle...BUT..the rudder set up just sucks. The problems with the original sticks were horrible but these are better.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2000, 03:05:00 PM »
I have the X36 USB and CH Pro Pedals USB and together they work better than I do  
My problem is going from a twisty stick (MSPP) to this setup is a bit disorienting. I honestly love the feel of throttle/stick/pedal combo (even if my wife snickers as she walks by) but getting the software interface to work properly hasnt jelled, so I am forced to use in game mapping. Does anyone have a X36 digital profile they would share? What I have seen trying to make one up is that any hat switches on the throttle, give a continued key input. ex: hit right airleron trim and over she goes and wont come back.... wasnt this part of the sticky key thing that was the bane of the analog version?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2000, 08:24:00 PM »
I love the Saitek stuff but the pots were always going South in my X36 so I bought the new USB one. Now the SOFTWARE wont install! Sheesh, I downloaded the new stuff too.

Check it out, I get this.

That's all the farther it gets.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 03-11-2000).]

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
Welp, I have the x36 USB combo, and I had no problems installing it, its software or programming it to make use of all those buttons.

Gordo
FDB

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
I read in the documentation that you must completely uninstall the old software before attempting to install the new.  Also, The joystick must NOT be attached to the system when installing the new software.  Everything worked/is working well for me.  A great joystick IMO.

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

PS.  A reinstall of DirectX 7.0a could help also.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2000, 01:02:00 AM »
Have the USB version of the X36

Had problems with the CD too till they sent me another one.  Then they got SGE on the Web site so downloaded that.  Haven't had any problems.  Word of caution, When you are in the programing mode you will need to watch the system performance.  When it got below 70% I rebooted the PC then went back to programing the stick. Someone said it has a "memory leak", what ever that is.  When the system performance gets low it doesn't hold the stuff programed.

If you own a PC Dash, forget it!!  I asked Saitek about using the Dash and they said it will only function as a keyboard when using the USB stick

If anyone can figure a way to use the PC Dash with the USB version, please let me know.  He heee can always use more buttons

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »
::Blatant plee for help::

Does anyone have a X36 Digital (USB) profile that they would like to share for Aces High?
I have beat my head flat trying to make one that can use the throtle 8 ways on. they all end up looping for some reason.  Any help at all would really be appreciated

JimBear
jimbear@devildogs.com

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2000, 04:42:00 PM »
JimBear I'll be happy to send you mine tonight.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2000, 05:46:00 PM »
Must be a country difference because I've had need to use Saitek support in UK and they were brilliant - quick to answer phone and willing to listen.

Originally posted by Kieren:
Saitek has a horrendous and well-deserved reputation for the worst customer support ever seen in the peripheral market. I've use the X36 and loved the feel, but the pots were defective and customer support wasn't supportive.