Author Topic: turning with spits  (Read 497 times)

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
turning with spits
« on: March 08, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
I have been flying the FM2 a good turning plane. I find sometimes I can hang with spits, taking into account speed and all the variables. I can turn with most drivers but when I run up against the good sticks they turn me either  A ) into the ground or B) they out turn me so well  the get the shot before me.

I THINK in those cases, we have the same speed and E states or really near that.

I guess my question is  flaps and trim would using the flaps more and taking off ( shivers) the combat trim help me turn in smaller circle?

I find if I hit flaps even w/wep I slow down to much and have to pull them in.  

I have rudder on my twist stick and use it.

I feel I am not getting all I can out of my plane, I do know it takes practice and time.   Should I take off comabt trim and trim my self?

Any thoughts?

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
turning with spits
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 04:23:01 PM »
I went and read Hammer's discourse that cleared it up a bit.  Now what kind of drills do any of you suggest. I do not have rudders and extra sticks and such, so I will be using keyboard for adjusting.

P.S.  Hammer if it was not for your  site I would suck even more than I do.  

Thanks

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
turning with spits
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 07:58:31 PM »
My only suggestion is if you can't turn with them youneed a fast plane and a change of tactics. The reasonI suggest this kind of adjustment is you don't have rudders. They not only help you point then nose but can either help you roll or be used as an airbrake. Both of those features enable the enemy plane to turn, slow and speed up more rapidly than your flaps can and that puts you at a huge disadvantage.

I guess what Im saying is if you stay in that bird you can get a few kills from some of the newer guys but anyone with rudders, who know how to use em will eat yer lunch.

So, do you wanna land kills or die young? :)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: turning with spits
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:29:52 PM »
Hey Ren:
I have rudder on my twist stick and use it.

Trimming the elevators up is a more effective way of bettering turn radius than flaps, meaning less speed loss, less drag. Flaps are last ditch. Up trim will destroy your gunnery though. It makes the nose a bouncyball.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
turning with spits
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:14:59 PM »
there are other sutleties as well - with the fm2 your turn radius out of the box is very tight - you don't have to pull heavy g's to get a tight turn. spits in general can stay airborne and maneuverable while slow, but the fm2's tight radius is a natural advantage. the spitty guys may also be working the vertical to keep your nose up, slowing you down-- spits can hang hang while going slow, or can keep their nose up while turning tight. I love both the fm2 and spits, but i'd say the fm2 burns its e quicker. watch your spitty opponents and see what they are doing when you start feeling that you are losing the fight. and fly the spit some to figure out what it can and can't do. spit 5's are more of a problem in a tight fight; heck hurricanes as well.

I believe you said your stick has a twisty rudder - they are typically twitchy compared to pedals, so make sure you scale your rudder to make control inputs controlled, not violent.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
turning with spits
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:43:20 AM »
The FM2 can turn about as well as, if not tighter than, the spit, especially at low speeds. The spit has a much more powerful engine, and can destroy you rather easily if he adds some geometry to the fight. You basically want to kill a spit as quickly as possible when you fly an FM2.. cut as many corners as possible. Gunnery is rather important in this matchup.
Army of Muppets