Author Topic: 205 experts?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
205 experts?
« on: September 14, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
Howdy...I've been tooling around in this bird and had pretty good success. Anybody have any tips,tactics or perhaps even film vrs specific planes while flying?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
205 experts?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Well it doesn't seem to be a particularly popular bird, but it's a decent one.  It's a good all-around fighter, fairly comparable to the Spit IX.  Compared to most of the plane set though, it's going to be the "angles" fighter in most situations.  It has a good engine and is a very decent little E fighter.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
205 experts?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Im no expert buy anyones standards, But i fly the 205/202 on a very frequent basis, i would say it is my plane of choice (besides the F4).

One thing i have noticed with the 205 is that it can sustain energy almost to the point of being annoying, annoying under certian circumstances of course. example would be trying to loose alt quickly, ive lost more 205s due compression than any other plane because it gains speed quickly and sustains it greatly. It hits its top speed very quickly (watch for that stress sound it wont do it many times before your wingless) Then again the ability to reach high speeds in a short fall is a great quality for obvious reasons. Ive found that the 205 is a GREAT short range BnZ plane and also a formidable turn fighter. Its climb rate is excelent, roll rate is equal. I think it is the most rounded fighter and approprite for nearly all situations. Under 15k alt i feal it is at its peak proformance, i havent had much luck manuevering at higher alts.

Also take the cannon weapon package, not the one with the .303's (you probably already knew this though) they do next to no damage.

I hope this helps you out, none of this information is written in stone, this is all personal opinion.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
205 experts?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
The only major issue with the 205 is it's poor visability. When i fly it i'll usually map only the 20mm to the main trigger. I'll max climb till aux fuel goes....17-20k depending on base alt....anything over 20k is pretty useless in 205...least for me.

The 205 can fight with almost anything somehow. Greatest problems are with the yak and 109 g-10 and 190-D. The yak will outeverything you and the G-10/190 D will badly out e you. I seem to do better with the la-7 but it may be piot quality...the lufftwabbles are usually pretty well flown.

All in all it's a nice ride....way back when it was the ride I always reccomended as a trainer....nice ammo load, relatively nimble with a nice flight envelope.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
205 experts?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2001, 06:25:00 PM »
I've been flying the .205 alot lately. Heres my 2 cents, though Im no expert. Against a p51 I have good odds. Be patient and roll away from his dives. When he gets flustered and tries to turn with you  keep your e up and you'll turn inside him and have the easy kill. Same with the German metal. Just turn outta their dives, dive to keep up with em and wait for them to turn fight. Against a LA7 use Zeke tactics and get him to blow by you and hopefully you have alt to dive with and get him to turn with you. I love how this plane never compresses early. I've been near 575mph and have had enough control to get a kill. It's fun when people see a Macchi and think "easy kill" Against the yak..you're on you're own.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
205 experts?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
Been flying the 205 a lot lately, and have had excellent success against p-51's as of late (right Maniac?  ;) ) basically what everyone else has said about this plane I can confirm. It's a good all-around plane so you have to alter your tactics quite a bit against multiple targets. Consider 20k your ceiling for dogfighting, that plane at that alt is a good perch to sw00p from not turnfight at. With anything else it's all about making the right decisions that'll put you in the right place at the right time....ratta-tat-tat bogey go splat   :D

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
205 experts?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2001, 05:05:00 AM »
Remember to keep it fast (at least 350mph TAS) and to enter combat between 15 and 20K. Use it like a 109, fight in the vertical and dont turn more than 90deg. The 205, in comparison to many other fiters, is unstable and with an high wing load (3,400Kg Take Off Weight and 16sq.mt. wing area). Use it like a turn fiter and you are dead.

The 205 is fast, accelerates well, rolls well and climbs pretty well up to 16-18K. At 23K her max speed is about 400mph, very good for an early 1943 fiter. E-retention is good. Remember: she gives her best when kept fast.

Many late-war fast fighters tend to underestimate the 205 till they find it on their six at 450-500mph, often in the vertical.

Good hunting!
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
205 experts?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
I think the visibility is better in the 205 than the vis in a Spit or a 109.

I've found that the 205 does quite well against most of the naval fighters, especially the Sea Fire. The really tough nuts to crack are the Corsairs. You have to play it very smart against them and you can't afford to squander energy. If you find yourself at an energy disadvantage against an F4U, escape is extremely difficult.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the chief advantage of the 205 is that it is often understimated. The old school flyers on AH aren't surprised by it's capabilities, but the new guys seem to misjudge it.
sand

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
205 experts?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM:
The really tough nuts to crack are the Corsairs. You have to play it very smart against them and you can't afford to squander energy. If you find yourself at an energy disadvantage against an F4U, escape is extremely difficult.

I agree. F4Us are very dangerous. Even in turnfites on the deck. I usually lose low-E fights against F4Us. It makes me mad, but probably I suck  :)

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: gatt ]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
205 experts?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
Thats wierd... I do pretty well vrs f4's and any plane that wants to turn with me now. I have some rules though I've learned. If I'm gonna be turning I make sure I've drained my aux and wing tanks if possiable. I use these to get my alt. I stay vertical if I can and fast. If I'm below you I lag turn off your angle of attack to make you turn harder and bleed e to get a shot. I try to keep my speed around 250ish or so and I'm more than willing to go nose down here and there to cut angles...

Seems to work okay...I'm no great stick but I'm having decent success in the 205.

The advice above has helped too.... thanks all  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
205 experts?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
It's been awhile since i flew the 205 but hogs never were a real issue (except for a few specific pilots like kbman)...kind of like rude in a pony or drex/frenchy in a jug.

I think you have 2 issues to consider vs a hog...

1) Total E...the hog has more potential E (my opinion) and is equal in the vertical

2) Hi speed turn rate...I feel the hog will out turn/roll 205 at high speed

normally against a hog I'll try and stay hi and force an overshoot...if the con is well flown I'll cede the high ground and go to a zero throttle spiral dive as he "re-saddles".
If i can drag him down usaully i'll get an overshoot to a rolling scissors...I belive the handling evens out as the planes slow down. The 205 will outclimb/acc the hog (again my 2 cents) on the deck....usually I'll do fine if I can survive long enough to get in the weeds...if I try and keep the fight up with the 205 the situation usually gets bad quickly.

Since the 109 will out acc/outclimb the 205 this wont work as a tactic...personally the 205s handling won't overcome the 109s hi yoyo attacks.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
205 experts?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2001, 01:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by humble:
Since the 109 will out acc/outclimb the 205 this wont work as a tactic...personally the 205s handling won't overcome the 109s hi yoyo attacks.

I understand you are talking about the G-10 since all other 109s are usually easy meat for the 205. At least for me.

What I always find incredible is the very low speed handling of the F4U. On the deck she outturns a 205 easily, I mean a very low speed sustained turn at zero altitude. Maybe the combat flaps and the high horsepower?

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
205 experts?
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
The 205 is great for high yo yo, after the server reset last night we had a heck of a battle on the default map in the center and i stayed alive through out the intial conflict between our contries for quiet a long time using that tactic to catch the fast turning N1Ks/Spits that plauged the field.

I was comming in fast and doing the ACM but you can also do it with little speed if you have WEP.

This all may have been effected buy the quality of the pilots i was facing, and the large scale of the conflict with all the confusion, but none the less very effective, even for a rookie like my self.

Ussualy i would find my self dragging my chute back to the base and saddling back up, but i actualy stayed until i was out of fuel and had to return to base.

BatDog:
Wouldnt you first want to drain the main/aux and save the wings? the weight distrubuted to the out sides of the plane would make it have more inertia in the given direction, this moving easier/faster.

Buy all means the F4 has a MUCH higher roll rate at high speeds, @400 mph the 205 has virtualy no rolling ability it seems, compared to the F4 that can roll at nearly any speed it can fly at.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
205 experts?
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
I THINK (I in NO way claim to be an expert) that the draining the wings allows for a quicker roll rate..? I also picked this up in a search from the Italian guys when the plane first came out. It seems to work very well for me anyway. I feel pretty comfortable facing any plane in AH w/the 205... right up to the point I go boom.   :)

xBAT

P.S. Also the wing tanks go so quick if your on them after draining your main... you better be real close to a base regardless...

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]

AKDejaVu

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
205 experts?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
Yes, AFAIK, its better to drain AUX, then wing tanks, then the Main. The roll rate should be higher.

Try to enter combat with no more than 50% of the Main. It makes a lot of difference with the 205.