Author Topic: What to do if. .  (Read 986 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
What to do if. .
« on: March 02, 2000, 06:16:00 AM »
You are flying an p51 and the con which you are draggin is at d9-d10 behind you on the same alt and has good speed to keep up? (the AC wich are chasing is an better turner but not as fast)

What can i do to gain the edge?

The things i can think off is the following :

#1 Drag to the nearest friendly and ask him to clear your six.

#2 Drag the con untill he get bored and breaks off

#3 Drag the con to your home base and through the acks.

#4 Try an reversal and get killed (its here i need some pointers i think)

Regards.

------------------
-------------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2000, 06:36:00 AM »
Well, I drive the Pony and I do #1-#3 myself.

To me #4 is insane.

I don't know how many times I have had Spitfires chasing me to the point that they run out of gas, and I turn and kill them.

The real trick is learning how to just keep them close enough to keep them interested, but not let them be a danger too you.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2000, 06:46:00 AM »
From 109 perspective:

#1 to #3.
I always feel pretty silly when I try #4 and get shot, or enemy gets help from 2-3 of his buddies.

#4 is for Training Arena only.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
What Hristo said, with the exception of, if the con seems to be gaining alittle ground, then I do #4, it's either get shot fighting, or die running!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-02-2000).]

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »
Yep same for me.. get someone on my 6 and in a bad position.. it's hit the WEP and run baby run!! Don't call em runstangs for nothin.  

------------------
BaneX

JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2000, 09:14:00 AM »
If you do #4 in the MA against the TnB set, you will die 90% of the time. All you can really hope to accomplish is to force an HO you will lose. Sometimes you will have no choice, but if you have all the options #1-3, take them.  

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2000, 09:35:00 AM »
Thx guys,

I used to be an true TnB pilot and i almost feel guilty draggin those cons around the arena :) i remember myself sitting in the TnB plane and swearing hehe :)

Well i guess i have to get rid off that guilt feeling. . .

Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
Feel Guilty for flying smart?? Never  

Just like when they start yelling over the radio "Run pony run run run..."

I just go "Yep, frustrating ain't it Muhahaha"  

Its not wrong to fly smart.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
What to do if. .
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
What about outdiving the con extending to d > 3 and then climbing in a zoom ending with a hammer? Very few planes will be able to follow the climbing zoom of P51 in that situation.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2000, 10:14:00 AM »
Ok everyone talks about a hammerhead.. can someone explain to me in laymans terms how exactly you do this maneuver????  

I'm a good pilot, but if I could actually learn some ACM I could be a ton better. So I could use the help. I'll eventually go into the training arena and get someone to show me how to do wing overs and other stuff but would love to know how to do the hammerhead and hi yoyo for that matter. Then when that 38 spins in place and is facing me I have options other than HO.

------------------
BaneX

JG2 "Richthofen"

funked

What to do if. .
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »
Find friendlies!  Don't turn and give him a "fair fight" because it's not fair.  He's got a better-turning plane and he gets to start on you six.  Take him to the nearest friendly plane ASAP.  If that fails, find some ack to drag him through.  If he's foolish enough to follow you, that's his problem.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
Damm, no one ever told me bout options 1-3...I usually pick 4 a bit to soon.. . I've been on the recieving end of Mandoble's zooms alot..specially hog stuff. I'm always looking to engage so I push bad situations all to often..but I do think that you can use the pony's combination of speed and climb to seperate and reengage against anything but a 109 at will.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Mandoble-

That works if the con follows you in dive (many will). If the pilot is smart enough to fly level, or even climb a little (waiting for zoom), you could be hurting. If I was a 109 chasing you it would be exactly what I would do...

Now, with the advent of the P38 you have a plane that will do about everything the P51 can do better.  

Not trying to dispel your tactic, but unless it was 1 vs. 1 I wouldn't recommend it.  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
BaneX-

Pull a low-G climb into vertical and zoom a bit... depending on the plane, somewhere above stall speed (120mph?) kick rudder hard and drop straight over your shoulder. If you do this right, you should do a neat reverse headed in the opposite direction, without needing to roll. You will have to adjust over the top with elevator and aileron, most likely.

Or, as we did with our hands while kids, zoom your hand up in front of you. At the end of your reach, spin your hand in toward your thumb, keeping the backside of your hand visible at all times. Level out at bottom.  

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
What to do if. .
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
Ahhh so that's how it's done.. but at what angle are you climbing? Everytime I use rudder to turn like that the plane starts to invert. I'm not reall good at trimming aileron and elevator.  

------------------
BaneX

JG2 "Richthofen"