Author Topic: Close encounter of the 3rd kind..  (Read 726 times)

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Close encounter of the 3rd kind..
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Spatula you could be 100% correct, shouldnt have assumed that i had more inertia then him. but to my knowledge that AC wasnt any good at 15K+, so i was going to use that to my advantage.

Doesnt the F4 have a better roll rate than the LA7 at 250-300 mph? Ive noted that it can out roll just about anything i confront in high speed persuits. Around the above listed speed it can roll extremely fast.

Being persued (normal for me) buy a 109 at medium alt i dove  to 0 G dive and was falling like a rock.. at 450+mph i pulled up firmly and blacked out, while i was out i rolled to a new heading and pulled out of the climb comming too from my black out the 109 was right where i thought he would be, following a straight path from the one i diverted from, 50 cal food he was.. =]

Ive yet to best a la7 one on one, ill just have to keep at it till i find what works. Or one of you veterns tell me your tricks!!

Thanks again

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Corsair rolls very well, I think only the P38 rolls better out of the American iron planes.  The La7 rolls well too, but I think the Hog can beat it at high speeds.  The F4U has a fantastic instantaneous turn rate, but bleeds E quickly.  So you don't wanna turn with a turn fighter still, but you can use the turn rate and roll rate at high speed to throw off most other planes.  I think that is, I don't fly the Hog all that much except for Carrier JABOs.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline 38isPorked

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
"Corsair rolls very well, I think only the P38 rolls better out of the American iron planes"

P38 only outrolls US planeset when at high speeds (350MPH+)

The La7's weak spots are its strengths. It accels really well and is damn fast and retains a lot of E. Fine, use that against the la7. How? Sciscor it. If you in a plane that handles well at low speeds, sciscor the thing on the deck, where the la7's not-so-good low speed handling will either make it auger or make it run to momma.

If your plane does not perform like the la7 (aka, if you not in a 190d9, 109g10, n1k,yak9u) in engine power and you see the la7 dive at any time for whatever reason, DONT follow it. Many times la7's merge my P-38 and either split-S when I turn on their 6 or dive to gain a lot of speed knowing that if you follow them they will easily hammerhead you or outloop you or make you lose alt and then bleed off your E trying to climb up with him.

Let them go down, you circle lazily and gain your own E. When the la7 zooms up again it will be YOU the one that will decide how the fight goes.

To note, I flew the la7 a few nights ago just for the heck of it. I was dumbstruck at how much damage the thing takes. A deck fight with 2 spits , 1 190, 1 la7 , 1 yak and 1 n1k ... 1 spit dove on me and hit me good (a lot of pings heard, .50's and 20mm's)...no damage at all. Yak slash-dove after the spit, hit me 3 times, no damage. Then after a while (and shooting down the spit and yak), I was slow and wep'ing to get speed when the n1k bounced me. It hit me like 8 times. I only lost ONE flap. Outran the n1k and then I had the 190 on me, it made 2 passes at me, in both he scored many hits. Again, NO DAMAGE to the la7!!!!. After whacking the n1k, the red la7 got real close on my 6 and hit me many times, blowing my tail off.

Talked with the 190 pilot, he was using full 20mm loadout.

So somehow this THING ate at least 10 rnds of .50 and 5 rounds of 20mm from spit, 3-4 pings from yak (mgs and 1 cannon hit for sure, it was really close to me), takes 12+ shells from the n1k 20mm cannons and only then loses 1 flap, then takes at least 20 rnds of 20mm from the 190..no damage. Finally the la7's shvaks at d150 have to hit me several times to rip off tail.

Since when did this thing get Reactive Armour? WOW.

Flew it a few more times in the following days, and so far ive taken unreal amount of hits on every flight before something is shot out. When the engine is hit, it dont matter, engine will only die like 8 minutes after your radiator is whacked. And WEP all the way baby.

Shoot La7's till they blow or lose a wing, seeing them smoke or tumble is not an indication that you smacked it.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
Good point 38 ive lost more planes chasing a LA7 then taking any other approach.

What is the weapondry on that AC?

having the 6 50s to burn at them im confident that i could hold my own head on with most air craft, beside a p38 and a few others. Just got to make sure you pull out at 500-600.

Offline geistx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingwhirlpoolofsuck.org
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
The LA7 has cannons, I cannot remember the exact ammo load (400 rounds?) but it is not as much as other planes.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2001, 04:34:00 PM »
GeistX:

Please check your private messages on bulletin board.  Click "my profile" to get to it.

Tango, Sargeant
-------------------------------------------
http://webpages.charter.net/davidlj/" TARGET=_blank>
412 Braunco Mustang Fighter Squadron

Of all the things in the world, ask not that events should happen as you will,
but let your will be that events should happen as they do, and you will have peace.

-------Epictetus, Roman Stoic Philosopher-------
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)