Author Topic: combat scans , help please  (Read 339 times)

air_spro

combat scans , help please
« on: March 05, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »
Only flown this sim offline "yet" am slowly getting used to it etc. As a "poor" lol paddock view pilot , this will be a big change for me as views only game . Could some kind soul please tell me how he does a combat scan ?

Also does the outside views work online ? I beleive it's the F3 view , then offline I have been using hat to look around , but this doesn't seem right as why the "remember head position" F10 if you can do this online .

Been reading lots of your posts , nice to see hardly any flaming BS here . 8-) Any and all help to get "up to speed" would be great

Well in anyway , this looks GREAT on my P2 333 in 102 by 768 with 40+ frame rates .

Will be looking forward to flying the "FREE" two weeks and hoping I love it enough to start paying for it .

Sincerly air_spro
 http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/1589/index.html

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2000, 12:02:00 PM »
Welcome Air_spro!

I would advise that about every 30 seconds or so you do a lookaround- cycle through all your views. Weave a bit and make certain that your rear is clear.   You also have an inflight map that will let you at least know if unfriendlies are in your sector (one grid box). Red dots are bad guys, green ones are friendlies. You will be surprised how effective the snap views really are when you have 5 guys trying to kill you at once.  

Outside (F3) is unavailable online, except for bombers and C47. Adjust and set your views accordingly!

If you need any help, look up any of the trainers- we can go to the training arena and sort this stuff out and help you ease into AH!

Cheers!

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
What my senior colleague was trying to express is the bitter truth that in this simulation, there are parts of your field of view that are going to be occupied by the floor, the instrumental panel, that flask of whiskey, and so on, and no amount of craning your neck will get you around them.
So, scan.  Practice.  Roll around every now and then so you can look below you, and try not to let anyone sneak up on you.
When they do, try to figure out how they did it, then go do it to someone else.
When you park at 50 yards behind and below someone, pause to light a cigarette before nosing up and filling their fuselage with cannons, and watch as the plane explodes into tiny pieces that flutter past your canopy on their lazy way home, that's when you really get to love the no-pad, no-outside view system.
until then, be prepared to swear a lot.  

Another thing, the first time I try out a new plane, I sit on the runway and optimize all 27 or so views, finding the place in the cockpit where you get minimum obstruction (from the fuselage or cockpit canopy).  For six views, it's generally a good idea to back the head up all the way until it would be resting on the forward canopy.

[This message has been edited by Dinger (edited 03-05-2000).]

air_spro

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2000, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks lots for answering , to the both of you . OK no outside views online . That makes sense to me . hehe ya E. Hartman loved that come up from under and behind , now on this sim you can really do it . OR lol have it done to you , that is .

How about the trim ? I see three ways now , is this correct , no auto trim that use put on and forget ? I did get the B-26 trimed for level flight so that I could jump to the other gunner postions . Cool man , what"s more to say . If there's a spot I am missing for me info so I don't have to ask all these newbie questions , just point the way . hehe I know all this takes time .

OK more to learn , but thats cool as most of the fun is learning new stuff anyway .

Thanks ,  spro

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
There is. It is at:

http://www.hitechcreations.com

Here you will find help docs, the dot command legend, etc. The trainers are also developing another list to help out. This link should answer most of your questions, though.