Author Topic: The Margarita  (Read 671 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
The Margarita
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »
Potato based Vodka has more flavor and is Drier.....

and I don't even drink anymore ....... except socaily.......  what useless knowlege :rolleyes:

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 12:55:07 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
Controy is good to use in place of Cointrau

Hmmm... never heard of Controy... IIRC, Cointreau is made from orange peel. Is it the same for Controy?
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: The Margarita
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 12:56:24 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Jose is my friend.  :)  There is nothing in the world like that aftertaste/warm glow from Tequila.

Just stay away from that Cuervo Gold swill. If it doesn't say 100% Blue Agave, it isn't... so don't drink it.

You'll feel better in the morning. :)
sand

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Re: The Margarita
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by Schaden
Frozen......in a little Cuban bar in Cape Town watching the sun go down and deciding where to go later for dinner.....

A Cuban Bar in Cape Town?  Really?

A South African told me a joke recently:

A bunch of tourists were getting on a bus to tour the countryside in South Africa.  As it turned out Botha, the former Head of State, was the tour guide.

Once everyone was settled into their seats he picked up the microphone,

"Ladies and Gentlemen" he said.  "There is going to be no, I repeat NO racism on this bus.  As far as I am concerned you are all green."

A mumur of approval went through the bus.

"Now.." Botha began again "If all the dark green people would please make their way to the back of the bus...."

:lol
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
The Margarita
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Hmmm... never heard of Controy... IIRC, Cointreau is made from orange peel. Is it the same for Controy?
Controy is Mexican equivalent of Cointreau

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Margarita
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Just stay away from that Cuervo Gold swill. If it doesn't say 100% Blue Agave, it isn't... so don't drink it.

You'll feel better in the morning. :)
There is only 1 Cuervo I will drink. Reserva de la Familia. Hard to believe it's from Curevo.

Hornitos is great stuff. Even Sauza's mixto's are better. They use a neutral spirit made from sugar cane, not grain like Curevo does. It makes a smoother mixto with less congeners.

I love 100% agave straight up. Blanco, reposado or anejo. But if there is a perfect cocktail, it is the margarita.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Margarita
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Its subtle, just a hint of some substantial counterpoint to the sweetness part of the pure lime juice. I've come REAL close at home with a dash of bitters, but its not exactly right. Who friggin knows?
It's light beer. It's common as margarita "secret ingredient" in many bars...

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
The Margarita
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2005, 01:59:26 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
Potato based Vodka has more flavor and is Drier.....

I never thought that Polish vodka is made from potatoes... Last time I drank Polish vodka was maybe 10 years ago, and it was all about good-looking bottles.

I don't know if Western people can unserstand real vodka flavour. Real vodka is made from grain spirit, and you need to drink it straight.

Wolfala showed me Margarita here in Moscow, I have never had it before, and it's great, but I'd make it maybe two times stronger then they did in Sheremetyevo ;) You know, we, Russians, are vodka people. All imported stuff we had for cocktails here in Soviet times was Havana Club rum, sometimes Indian whiskey (quite a strange substance) and some sweet liqors, so my favourite cocktail was Cuba Libra. ;)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
The Margarita
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2005, 02:27:28 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
I never thought that Polish vodka is made from potatoes... Last time I drank Polish vodka was maybe 10 years ago, and it was all about good-looking bottles.

I don't know if Western people can unserstand real vodka flavour. Real vodka is made from grain spirit, and you need to drink it straight.

Good, Russian vodka in a very pretty bottle :)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The Margarita
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »
I used to drink it until I discovered Cazadores Reposado.

Another excellent choice is El Jimador. It's made by Herradura.

Either of these are far better than Hornitos, IMHO. The cost used to be comparable, but Cazadores has become really expensive in the last three years. El Jimador is still relatively inexpensive.

I know about Reposado, agreed its nice but I'm focusing on price in this recommendation. There's lots of good expensive booze out there :)

Thanks for the tip on the other, I'll look it up.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Margarita
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2005, 07:13:05 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
snip
But if there is a perfect cocktail, it is the margarita.

Word.

culero (and the thread comes full circle ;))
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Margarita
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2005, 07:19:59 AM »
Is that for real Indy?  What a cool idea for a bottle of vodka.:D :aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2005, 07:25:02 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
Just give me a pint of Guiness and I'm in heaven... actually takes longer to pour a Guiness than it does to make a margarita though lol.

Ohhhhh you are SOOOOOOO correct.

Always watched in fascination at the pubs in Dublin when they poured a fresh pint. Correctly poured, it looks like a tempest storm brewing in the glass. When the storm simmers down ... top 'er off mate and down the hatch.

Two weeks in Dublin ... spoiled me for drinking Guiness for life. Nothing in the US (even the crap Guiness we get) nor in the jolly UK can match the brew in Dublin.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
The Margarita
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »
Originally posted by indy007

Good, Russian vodka in a very pretty bottle :)

There are rumours that M.T. Kalashnikov gets royalty from this vodka, and it's the only money he gets from his patents...

It's a good souvenir, nothing more. I'll prefer some local vodka brands that are definetly better. But Udmurtian vodka (from Izhevsk), in ordinary bottles is quite good, and their balsams are absolutely incredible!