Author Topic: The Margarita  (Read 669 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:34:29 PM »
Is there a more perfect drink? I think not.

• 2/3 oz. Cointreau
• 1 1/2 oz. Reposado tequila
• 1/3 oz. lime juice
• Ice
• 1 slice lime
• Salt rim of glass

Heaven.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
The Margarita
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 11:39:08 PM »
Just give me a pint of Guiness and I'm in heaven... actually takes longer to pour a Guiness than it does to make a margarita though lol.

Offline Storm7

• Zinc Member
The Margarita
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 11:41:06 PM »
I like:

one part scotch or bourbon
one part water
ice

hold the water.:aok

Ritas are good, just too much mixing.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
The Margarita
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 11:44:05 PM »
I'm assuming you posted this thread because you were enjoying that margarita you just poured, right rpm?  Nothing like chilling to a great drink and relaxing a bit.:aok

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 11:46:32 PM »
Guinness is good. Scotch and/or burbon are great. But, they can not equal the versatility of the 'Rita.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Storm7

• Zinc Member
The Margarita
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:52:27 PM »
A 'Rita on the rocks, in the warm afternoon, with the BBQ going and grass between your toes. THAT sounds like heaven.

I'll be home Monday and it sounds like I know how I'll be spending my first day back. :D

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 11:52:55 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
I'm assuming you posted this thread because you were enjoying that margarita you just poured, right rpm?  Nothing like chilling to a great drink and relaxing a bit.:aok
Guilty as charged. I have turned on the jacuzzi heater as well.

But on a more serious note... The margarita is heaven sent.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 12:19:12 AM »
Ever make them with Sauza Tres Generaciones?

You can put about 2-3 times as much Tequila in them and they only taste like a "regular" Rita.

We used to call it "liquid pants remover".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: The Margarita
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 12:23:32 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
Is there a more perfect drink? I think not.
snip

Where cocktails are concerned, I agree wholeheartedly. Recipe looks gud.

Allow me, since you obviously know what a proper margarita is (rocks, none of this slush BS, good liquor, real juice not some friggin mix) to make a well informed recommendation.

If you ever find yourself in the Rio Grande Valley close to McAllen, make it a point to drive to the international bridge at Hidalgo (8 miles south of McAllen). Go across (no drama involved here, established tourist area) and if Mexican customs speaks to you (unlikely, 98% you see a green light and don't have to stop) say "Reynosa no mas" (lets them know you're a turista on a day trip, they'll wave you through). As you hit the street, hang a right, go left at the first intersection, and left again at the next. Park where possible, there's a paid lot just before that last left turn that's really convenient. Its safe here. No worries (my home town, I know what I'm saying). Tip the parking attendant a dollar in advance and whatever car it is is safe (couple three more $ and he'll have it washed and hand dried in 20 minutes, even).

OK, we're back to that last left turn. On your right halfway down the block (next door past The Alaskan Nite Club and just before the liquor store with the mural on the wall) is an inset doorway labeled "La Pequena Holanda", otherwise known to locals as "Dutch's".

Henry, the owner for the last 2 or 3 decades or so, grew up working for Dutch, who came here from Holland. The pictures from there are real, but no matter. When Dutch passed the bar on to Henry, he also passed The Recipe for The World's Absolute Finest Margarita.

This is no bull****, I stake my word of honor on it.

Henry builds it like you do, using a Mexican Cointreau knockoff that works, and Sauza Blanco tequila. However, there is the matter of The Secret Ingredient. This is key.

I know Henry lo these many decades (since I was a high school pup and he was Dutch's barboy). He's a close friend of one of my closest friends. He bailed us out of jail there one night when I got in a fight with a half dozen locals (hey they started it, **** 'em, they got what they deserved) but that's another story (poor Scott told me not to and all he did was watch and drive the car until we got pulled over but we both went in the can LOL).

Note: don't let that scare you, that happened in another part of town at a bar I won't recommend you to unless you like living dangerously, was like 25 years ago anyway ~GGG~

Anyway, The Secret Ingredient. I have no clue. Scott has worked on Henry, as have I, many times. No sale. He ain't telling.

Its subtle, just a hint of some substantial counterpoint to the sweetness part of the pure lime juice. I've come REAL close at home with a dash of bitters, but its not exactly right. Who friggin knows?

You won't be disappointed. The drinks are cheap, service is fast, there's a small bar with stools and some tables, quality glasses with peanuts served on the side gratis. Ask and they'll fetch food in from a nearby restaurant if you like. Its a great bar to drink in whatever you're drinking. Henry carries whatever you want within reason (Johnny Walker etc).

But, and again my word of honor, clearly The World's Best Margarita. Perhaps not worth traveling here for, but if you're here anyway you owe it to yourself.

If you feel hinky driving across park in the paid parking by the bridge on the US side and take a taxi, they're cheap. Say "Dutch's", or "The Alaskan" if the driver acts dumb. The bridge is walking distance if you don't find a cab OTW out, no sweat (half mile total to your car).

Trust me on this :)

culero (warn me and I'll guide ya there!)
β€œBefore we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 12:50:30 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Ever make them with Sauza Tres Generaciones?

You can put about 2-3 times as much Tequila in them and they only taste like a "regular" Rita.

We used to call it "liquid pants remover".

Can pretty much do that with any Anejo. :)

Still... if I'm going to drink an Anejo, I'd rather have it straight up.
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 12:58:48 AM »
Originally posted by Storm7
A 'Rita on the rocks, in the warm afternoon, with the BBQ going and grass between your toes. THAT sounds like heaven.

I'll be home Monday and it sounds like I know how I'll be spending my first day back. :D

League City?  Clear Creek representin'!!!

Class of 86
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Storm7

• Zinc Member
The Margarita
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 01:05:48 AM »
In Brazil right now. I'll be landing at Hobby on Monday. I live FM518 and I-45.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 01:08:20 AM »
Originally posted by Storm7
In Brazil right now. I'll be landing at Hobby on Monday. I live FM518 and I-45.

Ohhhh, you're that homeless guy under the bridge there.  What'd you buy with the quarter I gave you?

:D
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Storm7

• Zinc Member
The Margarita
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 01:12:15 AM »
I brand new tooth. It matches my other one.

You fly in the MA?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
The Margarita
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 01:25:33 AM »
No, I pretty much am retired from AH.  Used to fly CT only.  MA was much too hokey for me.  I liked the experience of the CT much more.