Author Topic: Real VMF-323 pilot at the bar  (Read 612 times)

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
Real VMF-323 pilot at the bar
« on: February 22, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
Well, ya never who ya might be drinking next to at the bar. Unos <daytona Beach Fla> on a Weeknight.

Group of buddies and I happened to be getting slammed at the bar last night <shame> and a older gent sitting next to me noticed my tee-shirt.  I happened to be wearing a tee-shirt that had a picture of a gooney bird on it.  He said" i have 1500 hundred hours in one of those babys."  Well, my other buddy said, hey that guy gave me my CFI checkride.  So it starts, the who's who in hanger talk begins.  I start asking the gent all about the DC-3 and I tell him that I am trying to get hired by a DC-3 cargo outfit.  

My buddy stops the conversation cold!  Hey did know this gent flew the corsair!?  What! I nearly fell out of my chair.  More beers...Man this guy can drink for older gent.  SAlute!  More Beers, I am not letting this guy outta my sight....He starts in about how he and a wingman of his where chasing a Betty, emptied their guns into him and proceded to fly away burning.  He said mainly they chased kamikezz guys around.  O Yeah, Lots of napalm drops...Here's a marine for ya..when i ask him about the Ensign Elminater he replied "what, never heard that before."  

Anyway, the guy had a long career at UNited, flew the DC-3 and is teaching a 10-day instrument rating course as we speak.

So Ladies, next time you go to the bar, wear your favorite airplane Tee and see what happens.

LaVa

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2001, 02:31:00 PM »
What was his name? I'll look it up on the VMF-323 real life roster.

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
O yeah his Last name was Ross.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
No "Ross" in the comprehensive VMF-323 Enlisted Roster from 1943-1945, but that doesn't mean he may have transferred from another squadron.