Author Topic: Israel Plans to Hit Iran Nuke Plant  (Read 452 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Israel Plans to Hit Iran Nuke Plant
« on: March 13, 2005, 02:13:20 PM »
via Yahoo News...

LONDON (Reuters) - Israel has drawn up plans for a combined air and ground attack on Iranian nuclear installations if diplomacy fails to halt Tehran's atomic program, London's Sunday Times said.

The newspaper said Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) and his inner cabinet had given "initial authorization" for a unilateral attack on Iran (news - web sites) at a private meeting last month.

U.S. officials have indicated they would not stand in Israel's way if international diplomatic efforts to halt Iran's nuclear projects fail, the paper said.

"If all efforts to persuade Iran to drop its plans to produce nuclear weapons should fail, the U.S. administration will authorize Israel to attack," the paper quoted an Israeli security source as saying.

Tehran, which has a stated goal of destroying the Jewish state, says its nuclear activities are aimed only at electricity generation but Washington and the European Union (news - web sites) suspect Iran could use its program to make atomic bombs.

Iran has frozen nuclear enrichment while it tries to reach a negotiated settlement on its nuclear program with Britain, France and Germany.

Washington on Friday joined the drive to put pressure on Iran by offering it a start to World Trade Organization (news - web sites) membership talks and access to civil aircraft and spare parts if it abandons its most sensitive nuclear activities.

The Sunday Times said Israeli tactics included raids by elite commando units and air strikes by F-15 jets using bunker busting bombs to penetrate underground facilities.

It said Israeli forces had been simulating attacks on a mock-up of Iran's Natanz uranium enrichment plant in the last few months.

Israel, which says Iran is very close to being able to make a nuclear bomb, played down the report.

Asked if there was a possibility that Israel could attack Iranian nuclear installations, Vice Premier Shimon Peres said: "I don't think so."

Israel is believed to be the only country in the region with nuclear weapons, though it has not confirmed or denied their existence.

Israeli warplanes bombed Iraq (news - web sites)'s Osirak nuclear reactor in a daring raid in 1981 to prevent it from making atomic bombs.

Tehran says it is prepared to confront any threats and that it would protect its nuclear sites.

"We will defend our nuclear sites with all our strength and we are ready to ward off any possible aggression," Iranian Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani told the semi-official INSA students news agency on Saturday.

Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) said in January that there was concern Israel might attack Iran if it "became convinced the Iranians had significant nuclear capability."

(Additional reporting by Paul Hughes in Tehran and Elana Ringler in Jerusalem)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 03:04:21 PM »
Irresponsible journalism. The US has plans to bomb Panama. That doesn't mean the US plans to bomb panama.

Or did you add the "Isreal plans to bomb Iran" part ?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 03:34:39 PM »
Have to agree with suave here.  I'm sure the US has plans to bomb Iran as well but it doesnt mean those plans will be used.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 04:02:09 PM »
How does anybody have plans but then not have them?  Is this some sort of quantum uncertainty? Schrödinger's plans?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 04:12:53 PM »
I have plans, they include Jessica Alba, Tia Carrera, the Playboy Bunnies.....

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 04:17:41 PM »
I have plans to cut back on the spirits.. doesnt mean I'll go through with it.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
I have plans, they include Jessica Alba, Tia Carrera, the Playboy Bunnies.....

NOW THAT"S A PLAN! INNNNNNNNNNNNN:D
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 05:04:17 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
I have plans to cut back on the spirits.. doesnt mean I'll go through with it.

But you have made plans so you have plans.  Unless you have made plans to get rid of your plans... of course then you would have more plans than you originally planned until you carried out your plans to get rid of your plans.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »
I think It means Israel plans to make plans not to use its plans to hit Iran!

How clear the world of Middle east politics are these days!:lol

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »
Well if they do carry out their plans I`ll raise my glass to them.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
The US had "plans" to attack the soviet union for decades.  They practiced these plans out to the T.  They drilled for them endlessly.

Yet they never attacked the Soviet Union......

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
The US had "plans" to attack the soviet union for decades.  They practiced these plans out to the T.  They drilled for them endlessly.

Yet they never attacked the Soviet Union......

We had Plans to invade England. For the life of me I don't know why....but we did.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 06:07:26 PM »
If Israel doesn't do it, NATO should.
Time to choose the kind of future we want.  We've made it almost 60 years without anybody getting nuked.  Do we really want every nutbag dictatorship to have nukes?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 06:23:11 PM »
it's not will, it's when
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 06:30:05 PM »
Take Dictatorship out of the sentence!

"Do we really want every nutbag ............... to have nukes?"

Nope!

Any more!?

:lol