Author Topic: AH at Linux  (Read 1765 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 02:11:45 PM »
Originally posted by Poizen
...and all this time I thought Apple computers were for people who lacked the coordination to use two fingers on a mouse.  :D

J/K

There might actually be a chance of making it work on an Apple now that they replaced that crappy old OS they had with something that uses a BSD kernel. :aok

~Poizen

Is that what it is? Since I figured I only had to use one finger for the apple it would have to carry over to the PC. And all this time I used one finger from one hand and another finger from the other hand to run my PC mouse!:(

BTW, did ya know PC means piece of ch...never mind. :D

Ren

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
AH at Linux
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »
Apple is going to sell a two button mouse soon.  No kidding, saw it on slashdot a few days ago.

I use linux at work when I can (running all kinds of fun stuff on it).  

I would suggest you try codeweavers.com for your wine needs.  It is quick and easy to install and it streamlines all of your windows software installations.  Any pc user could figure it out, and maybe even an apple nut, but I doubt it (A computer operating system that actually causes users to know less after they turn the computer off then when they started using it).  I like the fact they are using BSD over there rather than that pos appleOS of yesteryear, but jesus, why not just use linux or solaris, and not have to buy their overly expensive equipment?

Any way, another point is that wine is not an emulator.  It is basically a ground up collection of files and folders that convince your pos windows software that you are in fact running windows.  If it were a true emulator there would be no problem running any windows software.

I am currently running under linux

MS office XP
Dreamweaver MX
Photoshop 7
Adobe Reader 6
Endnote 7

among others.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »
Who's this "erg" n00b?:rolleyes:

Offline dfl8rms

• Copper Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 07:00:37 PM »
Another possibility is the vmware workstation edition.  Probably not what you're looking for, but it is another option.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 07:20:06 PM »
You do know that any PC mouse works on a mac now? Just plug it in and right click and scroll wheel work as well. Hitech's position on porting to Mac is understandable. But darn if Targetware doesn't look great on a Mac!

Targetware does have a Linux (almost, but not quite) beta and some are getting much higher frame rates than Windows version.

As much as some of us would love to ditch Windows, I don't see HTC offering a Linux version during my lifetime.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 09:00:51 PM »
hehe slash, I know I have been very absent, but I promise, once the doctorate is in the bag (1 more month OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF), I will be up again...

erg

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
Oh yeah, and macs have had multi button mice forever, but never made by Apple, always by others.  Multi button trackballs are ancient for macs.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 03:00:55 AM »
Good to see ya erg, hurry the hell up and get back <>

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2005, 09:45:47 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
You do know that any PC mouse works on a mac now? Just plug it in and right click and scroll wheel work as well. Hitech's position on porting to Mac is understandable. But darn if Targetware doesn't look great on a Mac!

Two meece buttons. Guffaw! Why would any dedicated apple user from back in the day want two buttons when one works just fine? :)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
AH at Linux
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2005, 03:19:53 PM »
It would be nice if HTC would support different platforms however because the project form the beggining was build for PC/Windows and used DirectX then it is quite hard to prot it to another environment.

Unlike TW that they build their code that will suit any platfrom - in particularry they use OpenGL.... and now they can build same project  on different platforms Mac, Linux, PC Win.

There are people who like Windows/Mac/Linux but utill monopoly of Microsoft will be finally destroyed the game developers will be aimed mostly on MS Win.

EDIT: And one more Linux become better and better and it is user friendly now at same level (even if not more) as MS Win ,allready working at AMD 64 etc, when MS spends most of the time in closing huge security holes they did in their system and try to make it stable..... when the system license costs huge money....

Thus it seems to be that in near future game developers will have to be ready to work for oth systems.......
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 03:24:47 PM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
AH at Linux
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »
Particularly since air sim people are a cheap bunch.  Bad enough I have to pay for hardware, at least the OS could be free, the game is free (the software), and this would be right in line.  I hate having to pay Bill to play something Hitech made.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
AH at Linux
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005, 07:58:32 AM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
Particularly since air sim people are a cheap bunch.  Bad enough I have to pay for hardware, at least the OS could be free, the game is free (the software), and this would be right in line.  I hate having to pay Bill to play something Hitech made.

That's really good point.......
BTW does anybody know what is the approximate ratio between amount Linux users and MS Windows users? 5% 10% more???

If it will become closer (someday) to 30%-50% then the game developers will have to start porting their games to Linux environment.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
AH at Linux
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005, 09:02:08 AM »
Question: What does Linux/unix do better than any other OS.

Answer = Networking.

Question: why would you want to be able to run linux AND AH at the same time?

Answer = Networking!

Plus, windows is a resource's hog, any linux driver knows this.

I had a Pentium 133 running QNX (linux varient) and my P3 1.67 both doing bandwidth speed tests on the same connection at the same time.

The P133 showed up as on a T1.  Because it was networking so much better than my system running windows.

So why would you want to run AH in Linux?

Answer = Networking, Faster better smoother connects to HTC.

Less warp, fewer disco's, etc.

Only real problem as I understand it.
Is that Linux doesn't have poppa gates making Direct X for linux users.

So getting video, sound, joystick to work are harder.

At least thats my opinion.

Call me a closet slackware wannebe.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
AH at Linux
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 09:32:23 AM »
From what I've read about TW Linux version vs Win version the linux one runs smoother without freezes and other stuff. Also lots of people had reported increase in frame rate.

Thus I think running games under linux is not bad stuff

Another significant issue is memory.
I've get significant gain in AH perfomance when 256MB additional memeory were added (now it 512) to my Laptop I usually fly with it (1.3Ghz Radeon 9000 32Mb).

If you run 256MB computer then you get 180-200MB "eaten" by Win XP and graphical applications require lots of memory - you do not have really enough resources.

However when I run my Linux PC wiith Fedora Core 3 with Gnome I get only 80-100MB used!!!! Thus the rest remains for applications that is important for graphics.... it may significantly gain the perfomance. And if you really want to reduce amount of used memory (for low end compuers) you may not run Desktop when you play some kind of games but lightweight window manager.

Another - antiviruses
I do not want to disable AV at Windows in order to run game smoother - but if AV starts some kind of tests it can dramatically reduce perfomance of the PC...... As we know anti virus is not issue under linux ;)

Same about different spyware that takes lots of memory and requires antispyware soft to run :mad:

So let's see and wait how MS makes more and more bugs and security holes and is pushed from the market.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
AH at Linux
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 09:42:31 AM »
One more interesting I've found:

How many people would like to run games under Linux:

From TW download page I've seen that there is about 12000 dowloads of Win version and about 2000 downloads of Linux version that is about 8%...... it is not neligable amount.