Author Topic: Robin Olds' P-38J "Scat II"  (Read 4786 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Robin Olds' P-38J "Scat II"
« on: March 20, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »
I wanted to try a green 38J with the same technique I used on "Impossible Ince".   Always really liked the look of the 479th's  scheme, esp with those full invasion stripes.   Submitted and available at ah-skins.com.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 08:47:37 AM by oboe »

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 09:51:45 AM »
ohh  that is nice!  great work.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 01:36:06 PM »
I'd fly it.

Seriously, it looks great, I hope it gets in.

Still waiting to see Airmess get "California Cutie" accepted.

Anyone working on Larry Blumer's "Scrap iron IV"?
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the good words guys.

I think Scrap Iron is in the game already.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 05:42:06 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
I'd fly it.

Seriously, it looks great, I hope it gets in.

Still waiting to see Airmess get "California Cutie" accepted.

Anyone working on Larry Blumer's "Scrap iron IV"?

Was the first 'J' I did.
I had my XO on my butt about it as soon as the 'J' model was released. :)

As Oboe said, it's already in-game.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 08:21:32 PM »
Oboe, will we be seeing the modified Itsy Bitsy II or did you decide not to submit it?
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »
Sullie,

I did make the modifications to edit out the problem finger and submitted it.   Hopefully it will make it in game now.   Thanks for your input to that thread discussion regarding Itsy Bitsy, btw.  

I haven't heard anything from HTC on any of my skins submitted since the last set of skins was released by HTC.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Robin Olds' P-38J "Scat II"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 11:01:06 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
I wanted to try a green 38J with the same technique I used on "Impossible Ince".   Always really liked the look of the 479th's  scheme, esp with those full invasion stripes.   Submitted and available at ah-skins.com.

In my continued effort to be a pain :)

Osprey got that profile wrong.  Scatt II was a silver bird.

Dan
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:08:51 PM »
LOL the 'crash and burn' picture is appropriate!   But is that Scat II?   It doesn't have the red rudder worn by 479th birds?

I think you mentioned that once to me but I assumed you meant Scat III, which was definitely a silver J.   Olds flew a number of planes named "Scat".  I think "Scat IV" was a '51.

I did fnd a Corgi model of Scat II with the same color scheme as the Osprey profile.   IS it possible there were two Scat IIs?  One silver and one drab?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 11:17:02 PM »
Sure looks like Scat II on the nose of the 38 Olds is standing next to.   That and the time frame for full invasion stripes wasn't that long.  The implication is he'd have lost two Scat IIs then as he wouldn't have gone back to a replacement OD/Gray one and the silver one

The photo of Scat II wreckage was from the crash of July 5, 1944.

479th didn't get rudder squadron rudder colors until August of 44, by which time full invasion stripes would have been off for a month or so.

Continuing to be a pain aren't I? :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 11:34:18 PM »
The truth can sometimes be a pain.   But I don't blame those who have it and/or tell it. :)

What a sharp color scheme it is though, green drab with red rudders and full invasion stripes.  

Here is further confusing information from little friends uk website.
It seems "Scat III" had a lower serial number than Scat II.   How can that be?

43-28341 P-38J 434 L2-W Olds Maj. Robin Scat III Lost 10 Aug 44 - Lt. James E Fleming Jr. KIA

43-28707 P-38J 434 L2-W Olds Maj. Robin Scat II

Further, Jim Laurier's painting "Scat Attack" depicts an airfield attack in Scat III on August 18, 1944, 8 days AFTER she was lost!

http://www.riveting-images.com/Jim_Laurier_Aviation_Art/Jim_Laurier__Scat_Attack/jim_laurier__scat_attack.html

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 01:15:16 AM »
479th History shows 4 P38s named Scat, with only the first one being remembered as OD/Gray and that is only the recollection of the squadron painter.  No serial number attached.

Scat II, III and IV all NMF birds with Scat III going down August 10, 1944 with another pilot

No serial for Scat IV, so maybe the guy who did the painting should have gone with that one as Olds was definately on that straffing run.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 05:51:17 AM »
Could the OD Osprey profile actually be for the 1st Scat?    Would that one have be around on June 6th 1944?

Thinking of removing the rudder color and adding the proper white tail symbol and letter ID inside the tail,and changing the name to "Scat".   Would that be accurate?

EDIT: Just realized if Scat II had the invasion stripes, its unlikely that Scat I would have had them.

Funny even the name's font is different between the photo and the profile.   I wonder how the profiler managed to come up with a scheme like that?

Failing that, do you know of any colorful OD J's with full invasion stripes?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 06:42:17 AM by oboe »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 11:25:45 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Could the OD Osprey profile actually be for the 1st Scat?    Would that one have be around on June 6th 1944?

Thinking of removing the rudder color and adding the proper white tail symbol and letter ID inside the tail,and changing the name to "Scat".   Would that be accurate?

EDIT: Just realized if Scat II had the invasion stripes, its unlikely that Scat I would have had them.

Funny even the name's font is different between the photo and the profile.   I wonder how the profiler managed to come up with a scheme like that?

Failing that, do you know of any colorful OD J's with full invasion stripes?

I imagine the Osprey guys are cranking them out quickly and just make mistakes.  I know in the 8th 51 Aces they have Willard Millikan's P51B in full invasion stripes, yet he went down in the bird to become a POW in May before they went on.  Sometimes it's done based on photos that don't include everything too so it's using whatever info you can find.  I'm guessing that's why the rudder color ended up on that OD/Gray version.  They just didn't connect the time the rudder colors started appearing to the rest of it.

Only invasion striped  OD/gray birds with a bit of color are the 370th birds like the one I posted a while back.  There's another one that has red and blue nose colors, red wing root and nose as well as D-Day stripes, the symbols on the tail etc.  I can scan it and post it if you want to look at another 370th 38

Dan
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 01:22:23 PM »
Sure, or what about Harold Rau's "Gentile Annie" of the 20th FG?

According to Osprey, he was flying an OD 38J-15 in April '44, and a nat metal 38J-10 in August of the same year.

Invasion stripes on the OD one might be pretty striking.