Author Topic: tempest  (Read 542 times)

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
tempest
« on: March 18, 2005, 02:16:42 AM »
Tempest showing as a Typhoon is a mistake. Even if (arguably) it is an upgrade of the Typhoon, it is a different name. It would be like calling a plane a P40 until you got up close and it changed to P51.
T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
tempest
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:25:19 AM »
I was under the impression that it had something to do with the shape of the plane.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
tempest
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
If you knew it was a Tempest at 6k are you going to turn and run? Is that why ya don't like it? If so the Tempest will probably run ya down anyway. Just merge on all Typhoons as though there a Tempest. Problem solved :)
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
tempest
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:06:47 AM »
try2 ..as a typ  and a temp pilot...i love it...

..but it really only helps the temp pilot ..

typ.and temp..same plane......temp can run away if it wants ..only diffrence to me

p51 and a p40 are compltyly diffent  to me..

p51 is faster and turns bettr at slower speeds..(for me)

typ-temp...same..except temp runs liek the rented mule you just beat

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
tempest
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »
As far as visual identification of the temp and the typh go at a long rang they would look almost identical untill you got close enogh to tell them apart. The only real changes from the Typh to the Temp were that the Temp had significantly thinner wings and a longer fuselage.
  The temp is a far more rare plane to see flying around the MA than the typh so more than likely you would think you were going up against a typh if you could see the general shape of the plane at long range but because of the limitation of our monitors HT dose this for us with the icons.

I think HT got this detail right and anyway what are you complaining about once you discover its a temp that just means you have the chance to make someone lose some perks. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
tempest
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 10:45:54 AM »
Originally posted by GreenCloud
try2 ..as a typ  and a temp pilot...i love it...

..but it really only helps the temp pilot ..

typ.and temp..same plane......temp can run away if it wants ..only diffrence to me

p51 and a p40 are compltyly diffent  to me..

p51 is faster and turns bettr at slower speeds..(for me)

typ-temp...same..except temp runs liek the rented mule you just beat

Same plane?  Do you think so?  I'm not trying to be a wiseprettythang or anything, I was just curious of your opinion because I know you fly them alot.  Seems to me that the temp is faster, but it also seems more nimble.  Handling is more responsive at speeds about 300mph than the typh is.  Also seems to climb a lot better, but I'm guessing that has to do with the speed advantage.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
tempest
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »
Howi, I think he's making the point that the planes are very similar in overall appearance, where as the other guy said temp and typh are as alike as the P40 and P51. I'd tend to agree that his analogy is pretty off base, based on appearances of the planes.

The new icon thing is great, keeps people on their toes, gives the perk pilots a fighting chance now, as opposed to just dragging around a gaggle of 51s and La7s. Well, not all perk pilots. Jet/Bottle rocket dweebs are still fair game, but fast enough to elude.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
tempest
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:11:17 PM »
Yea, I didn't like the new icons at 1st. But flying with them, it's kinda fun. People spend more time worrying what your flying now, that sometimes they wait to late watching the icon and you can get the advantage.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 04:34:03 PM by SuperDud »
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
tempest
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 02:38:01 PM »
Tempest was originally going to be called the Typhoon II, but that many changes were made it was virtually a new plane.
So they called it a Tempest instead.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
tempest
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »
same argument could be said about the 190 / TA-152.

I like the icon system as it is, gives perk planes a new lease of life.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
tempest
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
Yes, the new icon system is far more realistic and makes the game alot more fun. It makes it more fun for everyone, there's some suprise to everything now. I've noticed alot more people flying perk planes now as well which is great as it means the balancer and the perk system in general will be more important as more people use the perks. When noone wanted to fly perk planes because of the immediate gang-bang factor it kind of made the whole perk system meaningless as a balancing tool...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
tempest
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 11:14:47 PM »
I didn't like the new icon system when it first came out but I have to agree that it's better this way.  There are more folks flying the perk planes with this system and thats pretty cool.  I also like the "suprise!" factor that goes with this icon system.

I think the Tempest and Typhoon look enough alike at a distance to warrant having the icons the way they are....same goes for 190 and Ta152.

I still don't fly the perkies much out of habit but it's nice to know you can do so without having the immediate rush to your plane when you show up.

Zaphod

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
tempest
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 12:17:06 AM »
The only thing is some of the planes get too detailed. Could a pilot really tell the difference between a P38G or J or L? Or what about a 109G-2 and G-6? The difference between a F4u1-A and D might be to subtle to tell, but no mistaking the C's cannons.
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
tempest
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 12:35:29 PM »
The model doesn't change at all.  Just the name tag.  So if it's a F4u1C, you can look for the guns and freak out.  Or you can just not care and treat it like it's an F4u and kill it.

While I do like the new system, I don't understand why people freak out when they realize that they are up against a 190D9 vs. an A8 or something.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"