Author Topic: Invincable Tiger  (Read 1046 times)

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 11:59:21 AM »
""Maybe you should check out Ian Gooderson's book
"Air power at the Battlefield" London, 1998""

that report has always confused me , why would they find undamaged tanks? where were the crews?

did the crews abandon the tanks during the bombing, if so the bombing did it's job and took the tanks out of action.

then there was the interview(history chann) with a tiger tank comander who opened his hatch after a bombing and said the tiger next to him was split open like a eggshell.

maybe gooderson did not like them new fangled airoplanes?

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 12:33:43 PM »
I'm calling BS on 3 spits being able to put 2k each directly on a tiger. If you didn't pop a tiger with 1k of ord, the answer's simple....
You missed.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Vaulcan1

• Zinc Member
      • http://23rdarmor.com
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 12:46:07 PM »
hubsonfire we hit the tiger head-on! :mad:  its not B.S!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »
Got Film?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Vaulcan1

• Zinc Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »
no, but i have two other pilots to stand by it. Anyway i dont have to prove s##t! why would i post it if its a lie? :p

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 12:59:07 PM »
Originally posted by Vaulcan1
no, but i have two other pilots to stand by it. Anyway i dont have to prove s##t! why would i post it if its a lie? :p

i dont think he's calling you a liar.

technically speaking, the film would show exactly where the bomb hit.  :aok

Offline Vaulcan1

• Zinc Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »
he called it B.S, so he means in a lier. all bombs hit the tiger right on em, he was just sitting there with engines running.

we were a 2k, heading to him from the rear, and droped.
 no kill, thats it.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »
I'm not calling you a liar, per se, I'm just saying that your bombs did not directly strike the tiger, or you would have killed him cold.

Having lost 9 tigers this month, I'm pretty sure they're not invincible. Also, film would be, as mason stated, very informative.

cheers
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Vaulcan1

• Zinc Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 01:13:08 PM »
:rofl  ok hub' keep flying man, you got to much time on your hands :lol  i dont have time for proving silly things, peace out! :lol

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 01:14:43 PM »
BS whine proven.

Carry on gents.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »
just one more whine.. i shot a tiger 8 times in his side.. i know that the armor is thick for a 76mm AP so i placed 5 of my shots at his track.. he just backed up (quite a bit) and shot me right out of my boots.. super duper armored treads too.

Offline jdpete75

• Copper Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 02:55:25 PM »
I guess I agree that bombs must not have hit the tank or he was in trees.  I kill them all the time, tigers are the first thing I look for when Im jaboing GVs instead of toolsheds.  A pair of thousand pounders pretty much put the spank on a tiger real quick, IF you hit them.

Offline XrightyX

• Copper Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »
Originally posted by BALSUR
Maybe you should check out Ian Gooderson's book
"Air power at the Battlefield"    London, 1998

At the battle of La Baleine, RAF pilots claimed to have destroyed 17 outof 50 tanks. ORS teams went in and to investigate the claims. They found no destroyed armor from air attack. If fact they found 500 lb craters in a orchard 50 yards from 2 panthers, neither of which had any damage.

At Falaise Pocket, The RAF claimed 124 tanks and the US claimed nearly 400 vehicles destroyed. When the ORS teams investigated they found only 33 had fallen victom to air attack.

At Shambles Area, 1411 tanks were claimed as destroyed. ORS teams inspected 82 and only 2 had damage from air attack.

At Seine, RAF pilots claim 222 tanks destroyed upon investigation only 10 reflected air attack damage.

At the Ardennes, 9th AF and RAF 2nd TAF claimed 324 tanks destroyed. ORS teams investigated and found 1 tank to be knocked out by a bomb and 4 by rockets. The report shows bomb craters within 15 yards of tanks with no additional damage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operation GoodWood, Captain Freimarch Von Rosen, had 12 tiger tanks of the 503. During a 2 hour bombardment by 2100 allied bombers. Tank losses were Unteroffizer Westerhousen's tank suffers a direct hit and catches fire. Oberfeldwebel Sach's tiger gets overturned and another tiger drives into a bomb crater and cant be recovered.

I guess be thankful you can kill tigers and panzers in Aces High with bombs and rockets because it doesn't seem like they were very successful at it during WW2.

But, the fact that they were finding tanks abandoned suggests one of the following scenarios 1)  Crew was out for pizza and beer, 2)  Crew died 3)  Tank was trapped by crater, collapsed building, rubble whatever 4)  Anything else?  Don't know why Germans would leave a perfectly good tank sitting around.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 05:21:44 PM »
But, the fact that they were finding tanks abandoned suggests one of the following scenarios 1) Crew was out for pizza and beer, 2) Crew died 3) Tank was trapped by crater, collapsed building, rubble whatever 4) Anything else? Don't know why Germans would leave a perfectly good tank sitting around.

Because it wasn't a perfectly good tank.

Those tanks were already engaged with the Allied ground forces when the close-support air strike commenced, and those pilots claimed huge amount of false kills. Tanks were destroyed by either other tanks, or specialized AT guns, not by aircraft.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Invincable Tiger
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Because it wasn't a perfectly good tank.

Those tanks were already engaged with the Allied ground forces when the close-support air strike commenced, and those pilots claimed huge amount of false kills. Tanks were destroyed by either other tanks, or specialized AT guns, not by aircraft.

Other times they abandoned tanks for other reasons.

Often when a German tank malfuntioned the germans would abandon it as unlike the american tanks thy were so complex they werent easily repaired so they just left them

Also such as in the Falaise gap many germans would abandoned their tanks and other equipment because it was faster and easierto retreat without them. Plus they were trying to avoid being obvious targets.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty