Author Topic: Robin Olds' P-38J "Scat II"  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Robin Olds' P-38J "Scat II"
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Sure, or what about Harold Rau's "Gentile Annie" of the 20th FG?

According to Osprey, he was flying an OD 38J-15 in April '44, and a nat metal 38J-10 in August of the same year.

Invasion stripes on the OD one might be pretty striking.

Did you notice in the Osprey book, the profile lists it as August 44?  We know Scat II went down in July 44 and Scat III in early August 44 leaving Scat IV as his last 38 which according to the 479th history was a NMF bird.

No question on OD/Gray birds being around well into 45 and I've seen images of 55th FG NMF P38s being oversprayed in England in OD/Gray, but the images are dated April 44 so the 38s were arriving NMF at that point.

With the pace of ops in the summer of 44, I'd be surprised if they'd taken the time to paint the newly arriving 38s as the norm was becoming NMF  before D-Day outside of a few groups like the 56th, and 357th that used RAF paints to camo their birds.  No evidence of this with the 479th though.

There are B&W images of D-Day OD/Gray birds in the 479th history if you'd like to take a crack at one based on those photos?  The scanner is always turned on around here :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 05:27:19 AM »
Scat II was definitely all metal finish.

Here's some other Raider P-38 profiles that I was lucky enough to get from Seņor +Tiff.

And the token Raider P-51Ds.

Ack-Ack
479th "Riddle's Raiders" FG
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »
Just thought I'd update you guys - my Scat II recevied a Ref # while was away but I've emailed Skuzzy and asked him to take it out of the review process until I can make corrections.

Now, I'd like to keep the red rudder, so can anyone get me a pick of Scat IV?    Apparently Scat V was a P-51D (http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/479thfg.jsp ) and Scat III was natural metal without much color at all:
Jim Laurier's "Scat Attack"

But I haven't been able to locate an image of Scat IV.

Otherwise, I could change it into "Boomerang" as pictured above.

all.