Author Topic: My Dad died last night  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
My Dad died last night
« on: March 27, 2005, 02:39:53 AM »
My Dad, Charles Franklin Hall, died suddenly and unexpectedly last night, March 25th, 2005 at the age of 74.  I loved my dad dearly with all my heart and I now realize that he was the best friend I have ever had.

He was the kind of guy that any aviation fan would have loved to meet and talk with.  He joined the USAAF in early 1947 and was there to witness the birth of the USAF.  He became part of SAC as a engine mechanic on B-36s before becoming a flight engineer on KC-97Gs.  He then transferred to Burmuda to fly with ASR (I was born on Kindley AFB Burmuda in 1964).  After that he transferred to MAC at McChord AFB flying C141s where he eventually retired in 1975.  While there, he was a crew member on "Operation Homecoming" bringing home the POWs from North Vietnam (I still remember all the "welcome home POWs" banners posted on base).

My dad retired two years earlier then planned after 28 years of service due to my mothers insistence.  In 1975 dad was supposed to fly home on a C141 from Tokyo but missed the flight due to bad traffic in downtown Tokyo.  That flight, with my dads crew, was mistakenly vectored into a mountain in the Olympic moutain range as they decended into McChord AFB.  All on board were lost.  I remember my frantic mother herding all us kids together in our home as news began to trickle down on base about the crash.  I remember the phone call from my dad telling her he was still in Tokyo and alright.  You can imagine my mothers and our joy at learning he was alive when we were expecting the worst.

After retiring Dad went on to earn a BA in Business at Clover Park College graduating at the Top of his class.  He was an exceptionally intelligent man who dwelled in the details.  Thats where he was most comfortable.  He spent quite a few years as a electronics repairman before retiring fully to enjoy his extended family these past 25 years.

He loved life.  He loved his wife.  He loved his family and we are all at such a loss without him.  We will continue and carry on but we will never be the same without him.

I know many here have disagreed with me on many subjects as we have progressed through these last several years, but I honestly have enjoyed so many of you here for so long that I thought I would share this part of my life with you as I cannot think of a better group of people to share the life story of my father with.

He was a wonderful man.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 02:49:23 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:47:04 AM »
Very sorry that you lost your father at such a relatively young age.  He was a true American for serving in the military and also for educating himself by earning a college degree.

You should write down your memories of him so they wont be lost in the passage of time.

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 03:09:45 AM »
Sounds like a good life lived to the full.....condolences to your family.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:22:35 AM »
My condolences to you and your family.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 03:29:38 AM »
Sorry to hear about it Yeager, he sounds like a helluva guy.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:02:49 AM »
My condolences to you, his friends and family. He sounds like a wonderful man. S!
May you remember the good memories always.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 04:20:44 AM »
My condolances to you and your's Yeagar.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:53:55 AM »
Salute.
 Condolences to you and your family.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 05:37:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Yeager.  I lost my Father 6 years ago so I know how you're feeling.

RIP Charles Franklin Hall
NEXX

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:32:19 AM »
I know the feeling having lost my Father years ago. My condolences or as they say round here: Sorry for your troubles.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 07:19:02 AM »
very sorry about your father Yeager

may your family find peace in knowing such a good man has found his

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 07:24:37 AM »
sorry to hear this.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 07:49:12 AM »
Yeager,
Its good to see you post about it. He sounds like he is/was a wonderful man, wonderful soldier, and wonderful father. You will carry him in your heart, your soul for many years to come. He is resting now and looking down on you...do your best in this life, he will admire you even from afar.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 07:52:04 AM »
Very sorry to hear this, Yeager.   You have my sympathy and condolences.   Thanks for taking the time to share a little something about your Dad so the rest of us got to see him as the great man you knew.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
My Dad died last night
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 08:00:19 AM »
My condolences Yeager :(