Author Topic: spitty question(s)....  (Read 1152 times)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 01:43:14 PM »
Yeah, Ill agree that the spit5 is a very forgiving plane. Against the avg MA player normally you can get away with a mistake or 2 and slip out of it, that with other aircraft you'd have a much tougher time. Against the better pilots however, you make 1 mistake and your toast, but thats normally the result regardless of plane:)
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »
80% plane 20% pilot....

BTW I got dumped last night...DSL was screwy for about an hour so I didnt bother coming back....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 02:42:38 AM »
We have the best version spit V and worst version spit IX possible. In this case the spit V is the better plane of the two. Sadly, this is the best non perked RAF fighters (no offence to the typhoon lovers out there).

The only (slight) preformance advantages that the 9 might have over the 5 is high speed zoom and speed at altitude. This is not a lot to work with.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 03:09:33 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
We have the best version spit V and worst version spit IX possible. In this case the spit V is the better plane of the two. Sadly, this is the best non perked RAF fighters (no offence to the typhoon lovers out there).

The only (slight) preformance advantages that the 9 might have over the 5 is high speed zoom and speed at altitude. This is not a lot to work with.

Bozon

I hate to disagree but I have no idea where you are getting your data. IMHO there is a big performance difference in the planes. The 9 is head over heels above the 5. The only thing the 5 can do over the 9 is turn a lil better. That's it.

Ren

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 06:21:52 AM »
I, personally, am not on the "spitV is the best spit" bandwagon.

I do much better in a Spit9 then a V.

The main area where the SpitV shines is low alt base defense where you are makin it up but not have time to climb. As anything but a lower speed turn fighter I prefer the Spit9 over a SpitV any day.

Now ofcourse this is relative to preference.

The problem in your case is that you where in a E disadvantage which is extreamly painfull against a "better turner", which the SpitV is. Even though he overshot you he still has more E.

The difference in planes aint big enough for you to make up for that E advantage in a "loop fight".

Problem is you cant slow the fight down either as the SpitV will out turn you.

Somehow you have to equalize the E situation before dealing with the spit.

Personally what I would have done is broken off the second I see him go nose down in the loop, roll and keep climbing. This way you gain vertical position on him and he has to go down and up again to climb on you.

Anyways somehow you need a co-E situation.

From there I would go into the vertical games with the SpitV any time. Though not in a loop game. What I would do is use my HP advantage and make him work for his alt. Go for the merge like you would go for a immel but streach it up instead into a steep climb. Work that engine, make him come after you and if he doesnt turn the table and go agressive on him.

Another alternative is doing the first immel and then doing a second immel. Note not loop but double immels or tripple depending on how much juice you have. Then as you start running out of juice go into high YoYos. Make him work UPWARDS.

Important here is to win vertical separation on each merge. If you win each vertical separation and immel your way up to the skies  then the SpitV will fall off before you do and you will endup in a good position.

Tex

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 12:45:54 PM »
LOL, horsepower advantage for the IX. You guys flown the V after they upped the boost to 16+ over the previous 12+?

After that boost change the V eats the IX's lunch and gives it change back, even in ther verticle.

The V was 20MPH slower on the deck than the IX before the boost change, now its only 2-3 which is basically nothing. I would totally agree with Tex and Ren if we were talking about the 12+ boost Spit V, but after it got the 16+ boost, its a monster.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 02:17:40 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
I, personally, am not on the "spitV is the best spit" bandwagon.

I do much better in a Spit9 then a V.

The main area where the SpitV shines is low alt base defense where you are makin it up but not have time to climb. As anything but a lower speed turn fighter I prefer the Spit9 over a SpitV any day.

Now ofcourse this is relative to preference.

The problem in your case is that you where in a E disadvantage which is extreamly painfull against a "better turner", which the SpitV is. Even though he overshot you he still has more E.

The difference in planes aint big enough for you to make up for that E advantage in a "loop fight".

Problem is you cant slow the fight down either as the SpitV will out turn you.

Somehow you have to equalize the E situation before dealing with the spit.

Personally what I would have done is broken off the second I see him go nose down in the loop, roll and keep climbing. This way you gain vertical position on him and he has to go down and up again to climb on you.

Anyways somehow you need a co-E situation.

From there I would go into the vertical games with the SpitV any time. Though not in a loop game. What I would do is use my HP advantage and make him work for his alt. Go for the merge like you would go for a immel but streach it up instead into a steep climb. Work that engine, make him come after you and if he doesnt turn the table and go agressive on him.

Another alternative is doing the first immel and then doing a second immel. Note not loop but double immels or tripple depending on how much juice you have. Then as you start running out of juice go into high YoYos. Make him work UPWARDS.

Important here is to win vertical separation on each merge. If you win each vertical separation and immel your way up to the skies  then the SpitV will fall off before you do and you will endup in a good position.

Tex

Tex...

I dont ever have a problem being neg E in a fight. In this particular encounter he was good enough to avoid the pitfalls and carry thru to his end game...I dont know if he wanted to convert to a looping fight to close me out of simply decided I'd carried enough E to make a zoom to dangerous to him...

There is no practical way to force equalization of E under the circumstances laid out. It's simply a question of grabbing a combination of E and/or angles when/how possible.

At the time I felt we were equal overall...I'd eaten into his E advantage significantly and gained maximum angles possible (since I'm on his dead 6)...if I let the nose fall off I'm giving angles back for little or no real gain in E. If I climb thru his reverse I risk a front quarter shot while giving up angles and E. It's simply not possible (IMO) to take a fight up vs a higher alt/higher E opponent...had I gone up after he looped down now I'd be topping out while he's climbing back up to me...at best we'd be pretty close to co-e and he'd now have both angles and the shooting position.

To me the critical element when your bounced is winning the angles...then working on equalizing E. The con now has to "end run" you to gain another shooting solution....invariably you gain E as he is forced to convert E to angular gain. As long as you maintain "top down" shooting solutions for him and defend any in plane or "bottom up" attacks he'll give up both angles and E on every shot.

This was a fight I "won"...and then gave back do to a poor decision in tactics on my part...my question here is/was pretty simple...was I wrong in assuming I had the edge in performance or was I simply outflown.

As it was I had no problem with exit since I was in control of the fight from an angular perspective...however I dont think any move to "take the perch" would have survived the reach of his hazooka's....any more than he would have survived mine :)....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 02:28:41 PM »
Ren...

Going back to your "egg" post I was working the inside track...I was in drag on the spit V's last overshoot....simply keeping angles as long as practical...he wasnt seperating so I kept on climbing with him...he converted to a loop and I immedialty came off wep/gas to both avoid the possibility of a face shot and to grab the "inside track"...I was the one "flopping" while he was driving the outside "circle"...my thoughts mirror your comments i'm cutting his circle top and bottom....but he actually gained...so I went to wep (as needed) to try and power thru at max G's had little circle window going ... then tried middle ground. After a couple of each it was pretty clear I didnt have an answer so as he went up I split s'd him and dove away looking to retrim then reverse back to reengage...he kept going and engaged a con coming from other way and got whacked...

Offline daMIG

• Copper Member
crimently- 3 - 9 line
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 09:40:42 PM »
angles, vectors and bears, Oh My! (I am gettin nightmares about this)

Going to go back to read up on all this over-my-head-stuff till it starts to sink in. Here's Ren again, who I have to credit with my First exposure to the 3-9 line.....

I can keep awake during powerpoint, and while I have a headache after reading this indepth post, I am also getting a nosebleed.

Boy oh boy.

"The more I know.... the More I  know how little I know!"

Respect to ya gents.

cyas up.... I will not give up.
(I think i can, I think i can, I think i ccan, I think i can)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 02:36:56 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Ren...

Going back to your "egg" post I was working the inside track...I was in drag on the spit V's last overshoot....simply keeping angles as long as practical...he wasnt seperating so I kept on climbing with him...he converted to a loop and I immedialty came off wep/gas to both avoid the possibility of a face shot and to grab the "inside track"...I was the one "flopping" while he was driving the outside "circle"...my thoughts mirror your comments i'm cutting his circle top and bottom....

Hmmm were you guys splitting the circle? As in canopy to canopy but at opposite ends of the egg? In other words could you have gone level (immel) on top and drove off while he continued around the bottom of the loop so while he came back up you would now be carrying more speed as he reached his "top" then you take him up in a chandelle to force him to continue? Just a thought. You can't turn over the top of him or you give him a snapshot at his max range but you can force him into a rope. You level flight at the top of the loop gives you the opportunity to accelerate back into the chandelle.

Also, if he's in the tighter looping plane that flies a lil slower, even if your able to turn inside him he is prolly alot closer to his best fighting speed than you are. So his loop "looks" alot larger but may be at his best speed to perform it while you are much slower for the same circle, plus you cut even more speed to turn inside him. At some point his looping edge will win the day if your max performance loop is much larger.

IMHO sometimes what you see is more an illusion because your view is comparative only to what his plane is doing. Obviously, you know immediately when he is beginning to win the loop fight but the reason may not be as apparent until you look at the performance differences in the planes.

Ren

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 08:33:14 AM »
Originally posted by humble
I was able to create enough motion that he missed  

Damn stick stirrers.  :D
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 10:15:39 AM »
Originally posted by TalonX
Damn stick stirrers.  :D

hehe.....

Actually if I'd "flopped" I'd of burned enough E he'd of got me...just an occasional dip or slide to avoid sitting in his sights to long:)....I'm always amazed at the guys who start flopping around at 800 out....invariably they let me in to 200 where I can hit em:aok

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
spitty question(s)....
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
the seafire holds up preety well against the spit 5, most of the time