Author Topic: Malcom Hood????  (Read 496 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Malcom Hood????
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:59:07 AM »
Ok Ive seen the reference to the "malcom hood" quite a few times now.

What is it? How does it look?

Tex

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Malcom Hood????
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 01:59:54 AM »
It's a bubble canopy, which was used on the Spitfires.

Offline CPorky

• Copper Member
Malcom Hood????
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 02:09:13 AM »
On P51C/D, etc etc. All the same thing, just different sizes...

THe Germans had the same idea with the 'Erla Haub' (I may of spelled that wrong) that was (incorrently) credited to Adolf Galland and called the 'Galland Hood'. THe 190G10, for example, had this type of cover as opposed to the earlier G-series which didn't.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Malcom Hood????
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 02:33:45 AM »
An early profile attempt I did of a Malcom hood P51B Mustang flown by 4th FG Ace Deacon Hively.

Some pilots claim visibility was better in the Malcom B/C then the D as it was blown a bit out sideways so they could look down and back below their tail

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
Malcom Hood????
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »
not only that but in a dog fight the P-51B is alittle more sharper than the Pony D. The B model weighs less with fewer guns and not as much airframe re-enforcements that are on the D. I dont recall the final number but the D model is between 500-1,000Lbs heavier than the B pony. (I am sure someone will correct that number for me, I am being lazy) So alot of pilots kept the B model once they had the gun issue fixed, and the malcolm hood in place. Alot of pilots said it was a far better plane than the P-51D.